Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mary Towneley – clockwise vs. anticlockwise
  • benbrownuk

Hi All,

Planning a two-dayer of the Mary Towneley soon, stopping in Hebden Bridge for the night.

Seems to be some debate as to whether clockwise or anticlockwise route is best, but hard to decipher the pros and cons of each.

Any sage advice appreciated…

Cheers,
    Ben

nick1962
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy riding up the bit from Waterfoot to Cowpe/Rooley Moor so clockwise for me.There’s a million threads on this.If you’re taking two days then try some of the good bits in the area 😉

chorlton
    Free Member

Aye. Always done it clockwise or you’ll be pushing up Cowpe from Waterfoot.
    You might die riding up Rooley moor road though. 🙂

the00
    Free Member

Clickwise was my preference as a single day ride starting and finishing at Hebden. If I had two days in the area, I’d prefer to check out some other routes rathe than the MTL.

jate
    Free Member

Done it both ways. Clockwise without a doubt. And agree that it works better ridden in a single day with other stuff for the second day.

stumpyjon

Over two days I’d go clockwise. Anti clockwise is faster, more steep uphill but more less steep longer downhills

ratherbeintobago

Clockwise.

Perception is that clockwise you get rideable climbs with fun descents, versus pushing uphill with long, shallow downhill runs (such as the bone-shaking tedium that is riding down RMR from the Top of Leach) anticlockwise.

You might die riding up Rooley moor road though

Ach, it’s not that bad so long as you don’t do anything silly like try to ride it without a granny ring, in which case your knees will probably explode.

Gary_C

Always done it anticlockwise, ‘cos I hate riding up Rooley Moor Rd! The climb up to RMR from Waterfoot is rideable but hard going though. I always prefer a short(ish) steep climb to a long draggy one.

benbrownuk

Thanks for the tips, sounds like clockwise is the concensus.

Any recommendations for other bits to include if we branch out a bit/pad out the two days?

Cheers

dazh

Any recommendations for other bits to include if we branch out a bit/pad out the two days?

There’s tons of stuff in Hebden/Todmorden adjacent to the MTL that could keep you busy for the best part of a week if you wanted. It’s quite a common topic on here so a search is probably your best bet.

+1 for anti-clockwise BTW.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

similarly there are lots of good routeds on and around Holcombe ,plenty of local riders if you need showing ,depending when it is

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mary Towneley – clockwise vs. anticlockwise’ is closed to new replies.