Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Marxocchi TST2 or RLO?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Looking at some new forks i like both:

Merlin 44 RLO
    and

Merlin 33 TST2

But what are the differances between TST and RLO?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Or should I go for a second hand Revelation or Pike?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

TST2 is a quite basic damping system.

It gives you average suspension performance with a 'hard lockout' option. When you are riding fast over rough ground you will get 'spiking' where the forks cannot react fast enough to take out all the bumps, which results in sore hands on long rocky downhills. The forks will be fine at low speed, but harsh at high speed.

I have 55 TST2, and there is a thread on mtbr forums showing how to upgrade the damping to shim stack, which I have done. This cures the spiking problem and gives very supple good performing forks, but you loose the lockout.

Don't know about RL system.

Trekster

Would that work on the xc66 forks? Mine appear to be completely locked out, as if the lockout is on or has become disconnected from the lever?
    Tried looking for a manual on Marz site but could not find one . Have you guys?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

trekster, sounds like a well known problem with the '08 TST2 system.

The damping cartridge in the TST2 leg had a fault with the bottom cap on the damping cartridge that let oil from the fork leg work its way inside the damping cartridge. This overfills the damping cartridge and locks out the damper, leaving you with only 20mm or so travel.

If you are the original owner/have recipt etc then Windwave may be able to help you. If you're not the original owner (i.e. can't get warrantee) then you can strip the damping cartidge and refill with the correct level of oil. Just have to hope it doesn't happen to often.

Search on mtbr suspension forum for 'TST2 shim stack damping mod' There are several threads covering the damping conversion from TST2 to shim stack, and how to remedy the oil lockout problem. If you are capable of moderate technical work then you can do this yourself

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Here you go http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=410874

the bleed only proceedure he links to in the first post is the way to (possibly only temporarily) cure the oil leak problem.

Trekster

Cheers andypaice 🙂

If you are capable of moderate technical work then you can do this yourself

Hopefully can manage, ex motor mech currently factory mech/etch type thing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Marxocchi TST2 or RLO?’ is closed to new replies.