Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Marvellous on BBC 2 tonight
  • bland

Hopefully it will be worth a watch.

Neil has been a long term friend since i started uni in 1999 and his story is, well marvellous.

In no way the story made up, in fact it probably doesnt go far enough. This guy would get a lift home from matches with premiership football players, invite himself into royalties houses for tea and has even stayed with the director and his wife in their house when in london rather than stopping in a Hotel.

I tried so hard to get him his honoury degree but the VC at the time, Janet Finch would have none of it, when she went the Sabbs in the SU got their way and he was nominated. The rest is just detail.

I was his football team secretary, not through choice i must say!

Bit of background here

DezB
    Free Member

Have set Sky+. Looks good from the previews. Hope it doesn’t make me cry 😥

UncleFred
    Free Member

That was fantastic.

pictonroad

Great article in the guardian about it earlier in the week. Never heard of him, I”ve recorded it to savour. Sounds like a fantastic life story, heartwarming.

here.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Balls, completely forgot that.

mrhoppy

It was a fantastic program and a brilliantly well pitched performance by Toby Jones.

doh
    Free Member

What a great story

fuzzhead
    Free Member

That was fab 🙂

souldrummer
    Free Member

It took me back to my first day at Keele when he introduced himself to me just as the film showed. As I was very involved in the chapel I saw a lot of him. None of us could work out how he seemed to know all the people he did, but I remember him knowing forthcoming CofE appointments long before they were published. Plus his ability to sniff out free food was legendary!!

boxelder

“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided I would be”
    Hope it‘s on iplayer, missed the first half.

Alphabet

Damn I missed it. Fingers crossed for iPlayer.

psling
    Free Member

That was an excellent bit of TV and what a character the man is.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Excellent, one of the best programmes this year. So well written, directed and acted, worth every penny of the licence fee.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

A mate of mine worked on the sets for Marvellous. Good job he reminded me to watch last night or I would have missed it.
    It was one of the best pieces of telly I’ve seen in a long time.
    Maybe a if few more of us could decide to be happy the world would be a much better place.

bland

He was a very proud man last night!

In true Nello style, he got a pint out of me, invited himself round for a curry and told me I could be his agent! Nothing changes.

Great to watch it with him.

Keep your eyes peeled next week on BBC1 as they were filming a documentary on him last night, short notice thing but it seems to have taken the nation by storm, was even trending 1st on twitter last night.

jamj1974

Sounds brilliant. Our Friday night viewing sorted!

rogermoore

Was absolutely brilliant, me and the missus spent almost the entire program with tears in our eyes from laughing or crying.
    If you missed it it is on iPlayer here.
    RM.

boxelder

I grew up living with an uncle with ‘learning difficulties’ (more severe than Nello’s sadly) – what a blessing I now realise that was. Some truly LOL memories. He would regularly describe my mates as ‘a big gay lad’, meaning good fun – but a fair few of them took it badly. He had his childish sense of fun until he died as an octogenarian.

Alphabet

We watched this last night on iPlayer. Brilliant film. What a legend.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is his nickname ‘Nello’? The lead singer in my band was posting stuff about him on facebook all week, seems that he was a family friend or something. Sounds like the programme may be worth a watch. What is the programme actually about then? Is it a documentary?

RustySpanner

Will be watching this later.
    Thanks for the heads up.

geoffj

Inspirational man – excellent film and a new found respect for Lou macari.

ninfan
    Free Member

watched this yesterday – absolutely amazing, one of the best bits of television I’ve ever seen

what a legend!

jamj1974

Wiping tears of laughter from my eyes and sure the world is a better place with people like Neil in it…

Caher

Not seen it yet as I’m away but will catch up when home. Went to Keele so quite familiar with the story.

senorj

Me & the missus watched it on the iplayer. Very glad I did.

thepurist

Wasn’t bothered about seeing it and was doing something else in the lounge when it started & Mrs p had it on. Was sat watching it avidly at the end. Great story beautifully told.

welshfarmer

So it seems there are at least 5 of us on STW who went to Keele and were touched by this story to some degree. 😀

Mark (class of 89!)

jamj1974

I never went to Keele but went there often ’93 – ’96 as a good friend was there. I don’t know how I missed Neil but am now gutted I did…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just watched on iplayer. That was marvellous!!

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Watched this the other night and really enjoyed it.
    Film Neil: “Is that really how it happened?”
    Real Neil: “No”
    Brilliant.

DezB
    Free Member

So, judging by Bland’s photo up there, the chap sat on the wall with Neil who said “I’m never nervous” was the real Neil?
    [edit]oh yeah. obvious now 🙂

woody21
    Free Member

Excellent – just watched it on the iPlayer. If this doesn’t win awards I don’t know what will

higthepig
    Free Member

Agree with what everybody has said, well worth watching , it was marvellous.

cheers_drive

Just watched it on iplayer. Best tv in ages. What an amazing life story. Laughed and cried.

superfli
    Free Member

What a lovely film. Watched it last night with the missus. Best thing I’ve seen for a while and keep thinking back to it 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

On again this evening!
    BBC2, 11pm.
    A perfect end to Christmas Day!

stanfree
    Free Member

Tony Curran is great as Lou Macari , He used to hire stuff from me when I worked in Kilburn. Great TV.

transporter13
    Free Member

Excellent film.
    Toby jones plays a blinder

bland

Some more amusing Baldwin antics for yousome award ceremony

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Marvellous on BBC 2 tonight’ is closed to new replies.