Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • martin lewis…………
  • ton

i know he is trying to save us all money…..
    but life is too short martin, seriously.

and one thing, for a man who must spend every hour available on the internet searching for deals…………….how big is your leccy bill. 😀

tiggs121
    Free Member

I think that's his job!

Trekster

Pain in the…………….
    OK for those with money to spend but if you dont have any 🙄
    Had a look through his site once, what waste of time.

vinnyeh

site's saved me a fair bit of money. It's a good guide utilities, insurances that sort of thing, and has got the tools to find you pretty much the best prices without spending too much time on it.

I'm guessing the site has made him a pretty wealthy man.

tails
    Free Member

must spend every hour available on the internet

He'd be very welcome round these parts then. Who is he?

MussEd
    Free Member

Thought you were going to post a link to his site saving us all a fortun on some bike shizzle! Disappointed, and would have been raging with my wife for not pointing that out to me despite her insistence that Martin Money Savr IS The Messiah…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Definitely good deals on there, has saved me cash for sure.

bigsi
    Free Member

Good site if your into saving money and the forum has quite a few professionals on it offering pointers to the public. However, like all these comparison sites it can't give you advice especially anything financial related so you never get the small print and it doesn't look at all the options open as its a site paid for by sponsors To get your products on there you either have to advertise with them or have something that is just too good to ignore (which may not suit everybody). He's also an economist not a financial advisor and has been picked up a couple of times in the past for "advising" people on the radio where he shouldn't be. 😯

Its ok if you know what you are doing but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands.

I do like the 2-4-1 food vouchers that he has on there though 😛

uplink
    Free Member

He recommended Icesave a year or too back 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

Made about 3K through a nugget of info I found on his site so all good for me 🙂

flip
    Free Member

He made me and the Mrs £7000 in one hit 2 weeks ago, telling us that ex Norwich Union members were due a payout when they changed to Aviva.
    This was backdated for inheritence purposes.

Martin rocks. Fact.

Mark

My gf works for one of the large banks involved in all the 'kerfuffle' about charges..
    She hates him with a passion. She models complaints and how they should be handled and by how many staff. When he has a tv spot she has to junk all her current models and start from scratch 🙂
    For Xmas she asked for Martin Lewis's TV schedule 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

flip – How exactly did Mr Lewis make you & the Mrs £7k ? If you were due it you would have got it anyway or am i missing the point 😕

flip
    Free Member

Your missing the point, we wasn't their customers but the Mrs deceased Grandad was, he was due the payout not us.

But we got it through the inheritence, we had to apply after Martin Lewis prompted us 😉

MussEd
    Free Member

Oh and he annoys you that much big man, that you posted this in the bike forum and th classified forum? Jeezo, life is too short, seriously…

Leku
    Free Member

He's not quite my cup of tea but because of info from his web site I got £1000 back from NatWest for bank charges (which it turns out they didn't need to do).

Which was nice.

bigsi
    Free Member

I see what you mean now flip. Hope you spend it wisely on nice shiney bike bits 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I bet he asks for tap water for his dog when he goes to a pub, . . . and then pours it into a plastic cup he produces from his jacket and drinks it himself.

mudshark
    Free Member

I glance over his weekly email but can't be bothered looking at his site beyond that.

The simplest thing to do to save some cash is to check your power supplier on one of the comparison sites every now and then. I'm with NPower and they release new price deals every few months it seems, so if you don't move to the recent one you pay more than you should – it ain't right really!

ton

what i want to know is, what is everyone saving for……..money sat doing nothing is useless.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Dont like him – He married Lara Lewington and I wanted to do that

chakaping
    Free Member

what i want to know is, what is everyone saving for……..money sat doing nothing is useless.

Maybe to pay their rent and bills?

ton

Maybe to pay their rent and bills?

rubbish.

uplink
    Free Member

what i want to know is, what is everyone saving for……..money sat doing nothing is useless

saving money on bills etc. in order to spend it on bikes instead 😀

ton

now that makes sense…. 8)

verses

Surely it's not just about saving; if you're spending less on the boring things like bills, you've more to spend on fun things like bikes 🙂

Personally, I've managed to never see or hear him on anything, but I do usually check his site when it comes time to change ISAs, energy suppliers etc…

verses

It appears I've been beaten by uplink (oo-er)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Oh and he annoys you that much big man, that you posted this in the bike forum and th classified forum? Jeezo, life is too short, seriously…

Not if you want to spend every available hour on the internet finding things that irritate you so you can post about them on here

steve-g
    Free Member

I'm fairly sure his website costs people money.

People log on with the intention of saving money on their bills/holidays/insurance or whatever, get bored, and then end up in Pizza Express with a 2for1 deal

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

How can saving a bob or two be wrong?

I've never seen him on TV but followed his site/newsletters for about 4 years I think.

I started using Quidco for all my big purchases at his recommendation. My savings balance on there stands me at about £1000 now.

I had a go at stoozing when credit card rates were good a few years back. At one point I had £25k of the card companies' money sat in my account offsetting against my mortgage for a year. Not done the maths but that's a big saving.

My current mortgage is 0.25% above base rate.

I complained about endowment misselling and got a wodge from that.

I shift my utility suppliers regularly and usually get a bung to switch each time.

My last 6 mobile contracts have cost me ZERO and I've flogged the unwanted free phones for about £100 each.

These are just examples of good practice I've picked up from that site. If I ever meet him, I think I owe him a beer.

aP
    Free Member

Martin and Lewis or Amos and Andy?

ton

i always imagine the people who listen to martin driving from supermarket to supermarket to buy all the damaged and just out of date goods.
    get a life ffs…………… 🙄

cxi
    Free Member

I made £100 out of Barclays after seeing an offer on MSE. That's worth 10 minutes or so of my time in my book.

Found TopCashBack.co.uk on his site earlier this month and that save me another £60 on my car insurance.

mudshark
    Free Member

What kind of deal is that – a tracker?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

What kind of deal is that – a tracker?

Yep, I guess I changed at the right time. You certainly wouldn't get that anywhere now.
    But that's the point of nerds like MSE, to crunch the numbers for you so that you can make informed decisions… or not.

mudshark
    Free Member

Who's it with? My 0.49% with Woolwich was the best I could find a few years ago.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Who's it with? My 0.49% with Woolwich was the best I could find a few years ago

It was Woolwich (AKA Barclays), so now you've said that I'll have to double-check that it wasn't 0.49 too.

mudshark
    Free Member

Oh mine's an offset tracker so that'll cost a bit more; worked out well though especially with the low rates of late – just dump as much cash as possible in to reduce the amount owed without worrying that might need it in the future.

br
    Free Member

I thought this was a start of a 'person who makes you switch off the TV/radio' thread…

the-muffin-man

I wonder how many other banks and building societies will do the following now one has taken the plunge…

But Skipton Building Society announced that thousands of its customers would see a hike in their mortgage bill.
    It will raise its standard variable rate from 3.5% to 4.95% on 1 March.
    It is removing the ceiling on the standard variable rate (SVR) that guaranteed the rate would be no more than 3% above the Bank rate – which is currently at a record low of 0.5%.
    The building society – the fourth largest in the UK – said that it was enacting the clause in contracts which allowed it to remove the ceiling "in exceptional circumstances".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8471955.stm

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘martin lewis…………’ is closed to new replies.