Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Marsden this Saturday – Roll call
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

Sorry, feckless idiot that I am I forgot to confirm…..
    so

10am for 10.30 start.
    The village itself is easy to find – straddling the A62. twixt Oldham and Hudderfield.
    Park around The Riverhead pub in the centre of the village. – for sat-nag its HD7 6BR
    There’s a station in the village if you want to let the train take the strain….

Route – my interpretation of The Bogtrotters Route – with the start I have in mind its circa 23 miles.
    Conditions – expect patches of mud!! I ride a 4″ jeycore hardtail so the terrain can’t be described as extreme!
    Start is a 2 mile climb – bit of the black stuff then double track up the hill – nothing too steep, just a good steady plod….. I expect the ride back up from Hollingworth will be similar…
    Pace for the day – sedate 😀
    Several bail outs on the Yorks side of the hill if needed, once we drop to Hollingworth lake bail outs are more limited 😯

The day ends with a run down Packhorse Trail. Expect a bit of pushing in the central section as that is bog-tastic….. once off the moor its a 5 min pootle to the village and the pub 😀

E-mail is in profile if required!
    Regards
    Chris

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No can do Chris- I’ve been told I have to go to a Wedding.. 😕

Will drop you a line tho..

hp_source

Hi Chris,

I’m still on for this, the bogtrotters route looks good, depending on flexibility/distance there’s some variations I could throw in being a ‘local’ and all.

Also worth adding that Hollingworth Lake has tea/coffee/cake/ice cream facilities so stick a couple of quid in for refreshments if needed.

I’ll be on the train to allow for Riverhead sampling afterwards. 😀

Cheers

Keith

marsdenman
    Free Member

Keith – more than happy to discuss route options – I’m guessing we’ll be on a similar track TBH, be interesting to see though!
    Cheers
    Chris

Bunnyhop

Hopefully we’ll be there.
    Hudderfield mmm made me laugh.
    We’re more likely to get chips around the Lake. Imo. it’s a tad like a mini Blackpool in the countryside. Snob, me? Never.

Bunnyhop

The weather for Saturday is looking o.k.
    It’s just the 2 days of rain beforehand which are going to make things a bit harder going.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – I was not going to mention the option for chips…… 😀
    and, yeah, wether will make the odd section ‘interesting’……….. 🙄 – not to worry.

Ben_mw

Me, me, me. Can I come too?
    No Mrs_mw though. Much to her disgust she’s off dress shopping. (Me, laugh, no, not ever)!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Ben-mw – o’course, more than welcome!
    let mrs-mw know there is no dress code at the Riverhead, lycra and disco slippers are a regular feature, especially @ weekend 😆

marsdenman
    Free Member

ok folks – weather forecast appears to have upgraded to ‘sunny’ 😆
    so, who’s up for it?

any q’s etc gimme a call
    07977 004770
    Chris
    HP-source – please give me a call if poss. Ta

Bunnyhop

We’ll be there.
    Am going to bake some scones tonight, not fattening as they have no sugar, just dried fruit, which I thought to make appreciate M.M.

Ben_mw

I’ll be there. No baking from me though. I wouldn’t want to poison anybody!

Bunnyhop

Thanks Chris for a top day out.
    Great weather, dry trails, made some new friends today too. 😀
    A special big thankyou to the wonderful mrsmarsdenman for the tasty soup and hospitality.

See you all soon

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you modded the route could you say how ?

hp_source

Cheers again for a great day out Chris (& the rest). And MrsMM, great soup and pre/post ride hospitality. And bunnyhop for the scones 🙂

SFB: i’ll memory map the route and pop the pic up on tues, mainly added a bit more around Marsden as that was the start/end point.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Any photos due?

marsdenman
    Free Member

evenin all 😀
    So, 6 went mad around Marsden! (in a polite, relaxed ride kind of way 😀 )
    Great weather, great people, great beer, great soup and great scones – not a bad day in all 😆 and yes, MrsMM and I made some new friends today too 😀 .Really looking forward to the ‘return visit’ rides 😀

Apologies to MrBunyHop if the trip around MM Towers has dented his spending plans for the year….. 😉

Mr Barnes – probably worth saying we did not get out as far as Hollingworth Lake as the opening run out of Marsden was circa 8 miles 😯 – however, they are good ones 😆 if a little bit cheeky….. We did about 21 miles in all.
    HP – if you can memory map that would be great as I don’t have the technology. may be worth also including the straight run up Wessenden from the village, then right across the dam – much shorter than our run, if less fun …… 😉 , probably adds circa 4 miles to the ‘trotters route but much more fun than the run up the road 😀

Mr Ralli, plonker that I am I forgot to take the camera…. Mr BH took a few shots, only he can say if they are going to go public….

edit – oops sorry, acute ‘smilie’ abuse above …… not that i’m just back from the pub or owt……..

Bunnyhop

mr.b.h. is falling asleep on the couch.
    So the pictures will have to wait another day or 2.
    I think hp_source took a few snap shots. I’m looking forward to seeing the one’s of us climbing up past ‘The Shop’! ‘There’s nothing for you here’.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB: i’ll memory map the route and pop the pic up on tues

cheers 🙂

Ben_mw

Thanks all for a great day out, shame I had to miss out on the soup (and Riverhead)? Mrs_mw was suitably miffed at missing out, so hopefully next time around she’ll make it along.
    Cheers, Ben.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Evenin Ben, good to meet you on Saturday, glad you enjoyed it!
    Yep, afraid you missed soup and The Riverhead… you even missed mr trying a real ale….. still, think it’s a safe bet the pub will still be around next time you’re around!

TheSanityAssassin

So, having sampled what the area has to offer, you’ve all got your entries in for the CVMBC now then I take it? 8)

Hazel
    Free Member

Sorry I missed Saturday’s ride (I’m MrsMW), sounded like you had a great ride – hopefully next time I’ll make it along.
    The Sainty assassin can expect to see us at the starting line of CVMBC next Sunday, I’m rellying on the 4 feed stations to get me round – there will be cake won’t there?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hi Hazel – t’was a good day – hope to meet up sometime – CVMBC may be the opportunity to say ‘Hi’
    BTW – how was the dress shopping? 😀

TSA – several locals were involved, at least two are CVMBC regulars…
    i’m a potential virgin for this weekends event, riding as opposed to watching folk fly past the front window here….. entry subject to the weather though….. and this week is looking shoite…. 🙄

hp_source

piccies as mentioned….

A local ride for local people

Click it for more. (if it works!)

Bunnyhop

Nice piccys.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Marsden this Saturday – Roll call’ is closed to new replies.