Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Mars rover.
  • zippykona

Anyone else biting their nails?
    Jeez I hope it lands Ok. I just love this stuff.

jon1973
    Free Member

When is it due to land?

Northwind

Aye… Lots riding on this one. Just finishing reading Roving Mars, highly recommended if you’ve not read it…

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Very much so, is it just me or could they have found a less “spectecular” way to try and land it. Will be very impressed if they pull it off.

1:30am eastern US time, so I think aroun 8:30 on Monday.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IS it actually made by Rover?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The flying bead stead is a surprising solution but it allows the rover to sight the landing without clouds if dust

Trimix
    Free Member

I will be impressed if the land it and hope they do.

Im thinking of getting the telescope out just to look at Mars tomorrow early morning. Not that you can see the landing sight, but more to see Mars for real and know its atempting the landing.

That makes it all seem more realistic.

Ive got a 12 inch Dobsonian, so if there are no clouds the view should be pretty good. Jupiter is up as well early morning, thats always worth looking at.

CountZero

The whole plan is utterly, totally barking ************* mad! But I love it, and if it comes off, I’ll be cheering them for managing it.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m really stoked about it! The head engineer on the landing system reckons it’s the best way, and I guess he should know- but it does seem like an awful lot to go wrong.

You can follow it on Twitter: @MarsCuriosity

Northwind

I suppose you’ve got to compare it with previous missions- Spirit and Opportunity had relatively simple landing processes but without much control- they really didn’t know where they’d end up and it was possible that they’d land somewhere crap, or bounce into a cliff face. It worked out well but it was a bit risk, this way they’re adding complexity but reducing other risks.

JoeG
    Free Member

What tires for Mars?

gab344
    Free Member

Due to land around 05.31 GMT, so around 06.31 BST. I guess we won’t actually know if all’s gone well till around 18min later, think that’s the delay in radio comms frm mars.

Waits for someone to put me right, to the second 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

‘come on sky crane’

stuey
    Free Member

– iirc looking for water in a big sandbowl(?)

mnmng
    Free Member

Feed from NASA tv is available through xbox live if u have access to it

I_Ache
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    IS it actually made by Rover?

It can’t be, it wouldn’t have got there. Would have broken down a long time ago.

Cougar

You can follow it on Twitter: @MarsCuriosity

Awesome, thanks.

Feed from NASA tv is available through xbox live if u have access to it

And, awesome, thanks.

MSP

I can imagine the meeting where some American pr type states,

“right, I have worked out how we are going to secure funding for the next 10 years, what we need is a supersonic parachute! now gout there and design me a mission that uses a supersonic parachute”

CountZero

I can imagine the meeting where some American pr type states,

“right, I have worked out how we are going to secure funding for the next 10 years, what we need is a supersonic parachute! now gout there and design me a mission that uses a supersonic parachute”

And bloody impressive it is, too! The ‘chute, that is.

flip
    Free Member

Very exited myself, here’s the link to the NASA/JPL page.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

spooky_b329

So whats the deal with the Nuclear Battery? Is it a mini-power station or something a bit simpler?

JoeG
    Free Member

It all started as a joke. Some mid-level administrators at NASA had the thankless job of working on annual budgets, year after year. After compiling thousands of pages of documents for the budget every year, they wondered if anyone even bothered to read any of it. So they hatched a plan to find out. “We’ll ask for billions of dollars to put a radio controlled car on Mars…”

Pook

What else will it be carrying – that the states won’t tell us about?

Northwind

They’re repatriating illegal immigrate martians.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What else will it be carrying – that the states won’t tell us about?

Tin foil hats. For the little green men.

richmars

As above, seems a complicated way to land, but they must know what they’re doing.
    I have visions of it landing, then the wire cutters not working, and the crane flying off taking the lander with it, or a good landing, followed by the crane’s engines failings and crashing on top of the landing.

Hope it goes well, shame we’ll never see video of the landing, it will be amazing.

Dancake
    Free Member

Ive got a 12 inch Dobsonian

hahahahahahahahahahahaha fnarr fnarr etc

stuey
    Free Member

Spooky the battery will be Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator – a warm bit of ‘radio active metal’ with a ‘big bunch’ of thermocouple turning the heat into electricity. Similar to the ones they stuck in Voyager that’s been ‘working’ since 1977 – all be it very faintly now.

Kit
    Free Member

Anyone else up watching this? 20 mins to go!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/nasatv/

Kit
    Free Member

You’re all too busy joining in the celebrations, clearly 😉

Audacious, awesome stuff 🙂

flip
    Free Member

Yes watched the live stream, awesome!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Howard Wallowitz – unsung hero.
    Seems to have worked according to NASA on their radio statement.

rOcKeTdOg
    johnikgriff
    Free Member

Looks like they knew what they were doing with he flying bedstead after all.

Pretty awesome.

Pigface
    Free Member

That was a bunch of very happy geeks 😆

Quite an amazing thing to do, just over a hundred years ago the Wright Brothers flew the first powered plane and now we can land stuff on another planet and drive it around, astounding.

We can do this yet still people die of hunger etc, humans are a strange breed and no mistake.

allthepies
    Free Member

Well chapeau to them, I though it was going to end up as a mass of scattered metal over the surface 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

I got up early to watch it live – it was really good.

I actually found it more nerve wracking and tense than the olympics and more rewarding when they pulled it off.

Bloody brilliant.

Only let down was the cloud cover – I did want to look at Mars through my telescope.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Incredible, I really wasn´t convinced it would work.

So, what tyres for minus 80º and dust storms…

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

That was more tense than the 100m final – fantastic that they got it down intact

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wooo
    Hooo

Most excellent achievement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Mars rover.’ is closed to new replies.