Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Marrakech
  • MrFart
    Free Member

Any recommendations for must sees / things to do?

My partners four months pregnant and we’re staying in a complex so we’re looking more for things to do during the day.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go round the souks?

johnners
    Free Member

Majorelle Gardens?

youngrob

Djemaa el fna at night.

petefromearth

amazing place, just explore. get a good map!

i’d recommend the place we stayed (although there are many like it). it’s in a quieter part of the old town which we might not have visited, but is a bit less touristy
    http://www.riadtizwa.com

there is great food everywhere. make sure you get some ‘menchoui’ – incredible slow cooked lamb. there are several places in the food quarter of the souks

don’t go to a restaurant called Narwama. really pretentious place, possibly the worst meal i’ve ever had

restless
    Free Member

We hired a car + driver for the day and went to see a traditional family home and had a cup of tea, then went to a waterfall in the Atlas mountains. Can’t remember the name of the falls at the moment.

It was a full day and cost the equivalent of about £120 for us both. The driver would take us anywhere we asked to go.

The house and family we went to see were obviously part of a tourist trail , they had other tourists visit too, not just us. But it was good and they were all very friendly.

restless
    Free Member

Also go on the open top bus tour, it helps you get your bearings. You can get on and off and the map with all the attractions/places to visit is worth it.

There are horse carriages that are a nice trip too.

The souks are worth a look , they are amazing and make sure you haggle for anything you buy.
    You will get hassled by everyone in the main square, even for taking photos.

We also went to the Majorelle gardens, but it isnt very big so not there long.

yoshimi

The souqs and Djemma el fna might be hard work on your wife if she’s pregnant but suppose you’ll have to go at least once in the day and once at night……….just be prepared to be hassled, a lot!!!

Go on a 4×4 trip to the Atlas mountains, highlight of our trip there

Try the new town area at night to get away from your complex without to much hassle, seek out Keshmara bar – open topped terrace with great chilled out music

Agree prices for taxis before you get in and try not to get your map out or stand still for too long in the old town

beefheart
    Free Member

‘La’ means no in Arabic.

Extracting money from tourists in Marrakech is big business.
    Most street traders/hustlers/swindlers speak about 7 languages and know how to play the game.

Marrakech is great for a day or two, but the best thing you can do is get out into the mountains, the coast or the desert.

d45yth
    Free Member

I found Marrakech extremely claustrophobic, especially after spending a week in the mountains first. That was in Winter too, when it’s way quieter than than a lot of other times of year. I won’t be in a rush to go back…it’s good for half a day if you’re wanting to buy some souvenirs. There are some nice restaurants if you know where to look, I don’t know the names of the ones I went to though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Marrakech’ is closed to new replies.