Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Marking Seatpost Position
  • wombat

What’s the best way to mark my seatpost to show ideal height and orientation so I can reset it to the correct high position after having it in a lower position for riding techy sections?

It needs not to rub off with the tube being repetedly inserted into and withdrawn from the frame, both tube and frame are black.

Don’t want to use a centre punch or similar as I don;t want to weaken the post.

I know a dropper could solve this issue but funds won’t allow at present (will be asking Father Christmas nicely though).

andysredmini
    Free Member

I used to use a paint marker pen and drew a line around the post. It wore off after a few weeks but I just re did it as and when.
    Glad of droppers now though

bencooper
    Free Member

On an aluminium post, one centrepunched mark isn’t going to weaken it.

medoramas
    Free Member

Stand next to the bike and smack your pelvis or hip (or whatever height your saddle is in “ideal position”) with the saddle few times – you’ll remember where it hurts the most… 😆

amedias
    Free Member

bit of fishing line between the seat post clamp and the saddle rails, tie it so taught when post at ideal height, then every time you raise the seat just pull it up until the line is taught again, reversible, and no need to mark post, seems a lot of faff though, you could just sand a little mark in the finish of the post?

nedrapier

you could just sand a little mark in the finish of the post

This is what I’ve done. Tape* to protect the clamp/collar then couple of passes round with a fine needle file.

*or not…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Red China marker works for me

mattyfez

I just put sctatches in mine wth a knife :mrgreen:

somouk
    Free Member

Be careful with centre punching it, i’ve seen pictures on here of where posts have failed right where the centre punch mark is.

Something non destructive would be better.

edit: this thread…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/could-have-been-curtains-tonight-seat-post-failure

trail_rat
    Free Member

scribe a mark in.

Stevet1
    Free Member

If its anodised black then in the past I’ve masked the ideal height mark off with duct tape and used a very dilute caustic solution to remove the ano. Hopefully this will do less to weaken the post / cause a stress riser than filing it or scribing it etc.
    On another bike I just raise it back up to the obvious greasy high tide mark.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

run a hacksaw blade across it once.

But seriously who isn’t running a dropper

matt_outandabout

*waves*

wombat

matt_outandabout – Member

*waves*

*waves as well*

Have marked it with a gentle scriber mark.

Have also put a vertical line so I can get the saddle straight 1st time too 8)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Am I the only one who runs a dropper for the occasional undulating ride, but for normal duties takes it out and puts a standard post in?

whitestone
    Free Member

I use a dropper for most riding but if I’m doing an ITT or going bikepacking then I swap it out for a standard post.

m360
    Free Member

Me.

Am I the only one who runs a dropper for the occasional undulating ride, but for normal duties takes it out and puts a standard post in?

Probably, yes, as I can’t see how that doesn’t defeat the point of a dropper 😕

helpful1
    Free Member

nope. all my bikes have standard seatposts with saddles fitted ready to replace the dropper and my remote dropped cables clipped in place for easy/fast removal/fitting.

slammed for me is 11 inches lower than climbing height. on long ride up and sledging down days or jumping days I’d rather not have a dropper.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

buy a seatpost with a graded marking?

colin9

I scratch a mark in the anodising, or use the graded marking, depending on the bike. I rarely move the seatpost though.

Me. I had one once and sold it.

Skyliner
    Free Member

I like the fishing line idea

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I do it by eye, I also find keeping the seat tube clean and lubed means adjusting is easy. My concern with a hole punch would be deforming the post so it no longer sits properly in the seat tube. A scratch would work well I think, that’s a simple suggestion above.

Almost everyone I ride with including me. Absolutely cannot see the value in spending the money. Add to that those that have them seem to spend a lot of time riding with them broken. I rode mostly in places where it’s either xc so saddle doesn’t move or sustained climbs of 20-30 mins at least then descending so saddle up/down or somewhere in the middle for undulating trails. I’m happy to have an excuse to stop at top and bottom of a trail, frankly I need the rest usually.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Marking Seatpost Position’ is closed to new replies.