Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • marketing spin of satanic proportions
  • iDave
    Free Member

how to make a bad thing sound good to thick people

the directline adverts – 'you won't find us on any price comparison websites, thanks but no thanks, ho ho'

meaning we'd prefer you not to see how we compare to the rest of market, but we hope you think that's actually a positive thing because we have a jolly red telephone telling you it in a jokey way…..

sometimes i really hate my industry……..

Nico
    Free Member

I've had great experiences with Direct line for my car insurance, whatever their angle on Compare the frigging meerkat dot com.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am currently hunting for new insurance and direct line should say "we are 'kin more expensive than most"

scruff
    Free Member

You have an industry now?

iDave
    Free Member

yeah scruff, do you want a job?

scruff
    Free Member

Only if you can improve on my current working arrangement. You coming out next week or what ?.

scruff
    Free Member

(not like George Micheal)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm not sure slightly overcharging for car insurance counts as

spin of satanic proportions

– that's down to bankers and politicians…

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Did you think advertising was reputable up until now?

robdob
    Free Member

Everytime I've had a quote from directline it's been literally double the price of the cheapest quote from confused.com. I laugh when I see the DL adverts and totally agree with the OP. How gullible do they think I am? That I will believe them so I only ring DL and no-one else?

rocket
    Free Member

Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Nat West – All brands owned and operated by one company – RBS. The motor insurance is the same product across all these brands (and others who RBS also partner with like Lloyds, Virgin and Tesco), with pricing and benefits tweaked to capture different sectors of the market. As you pointed out, the Direct Line 'we're not on any comparison sites' is just brand positioning to appeal to a certain type of customer who are sceptical of these sites – RBS have got all their other brands on the comparison sites to capture those customer types too.

Jeez, 11.30 on a saturday night. I need to get a life.

rj
    Free Member

Directline were only £300 more than my existing insurer. RESULT!

grumm
    Free Member

While they are certainly full of shit, it is true that most insurers etc pay a hefty commission to those price comparison sites, ie up to a hundred quid or so for a new customer. In theory it might be possible to get a better deal by using a company that doesn't put itself on those sites.

Better just to use something like quidco and get the commission for yourself though.

Pieface

I use my wife to find the best deal. She does quite well.

Rich_s

the Direct Line 'we're not on any comparison sites' is just brand positioning to appeal to a certain type of customer who are sceptical of these sites

Not entirely sure about that – why have Aviva taken this stance?

it is true that most insurers etc pay a hefty commission to those price comparison sites, ie up to a hundred quid or so for a new customer

Dunno on the amount, but I'm sure the comparison websites don't do it just cos they love ya!

FWIW, the missus just used one of those sites to get a quote and of the top ten hits, I hadn't really heard of 9 of them.

Also, get ready for your renewals to go up peeps; there are some big claims around right now, a crapload of fraud going on and the ambulance chasers are taking about 55% of every single payout being made… (not the claim amount, this is the entirely reasonable "admin" fee they charge the insurer and ultimately you).

R.

chakaping
    Free Member

People seem to like nodding dogs and meerkats in dressing gowns though.

Rich_s

simples

Smee
    Free Member

Direct Line tried to double our premium from last year, due to a single claim we had. We told them to try a little harder and thy gave us it cheaper than the previous year – dodgy as a bottle of chips.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

"hes only a tenor"

RichPenny
    Free Member

sometimes i really hate my industry……..

Think yourself lucky, most of us are compelled to hate it all the time. Here is the great Bill Hicks on marketing:

By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing… kill yourself.

No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root – I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers. Okay – kill yourself – seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no f***ing joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are f***ed and you are f***ing us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your f***ing soul, kill yourself.

Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke…" there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, f***ing hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend – I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil f***ing makinations. Machi… Whatever, you know what I mean.

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart."

Oh man, I am not doing that. You f***ing evil scumbags!

"Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research – huge market. He's doing a good thing."

Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags! Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every f***ing thing on this planet!

"Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that."

God, I'm just caught in a f***ing web.

"Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market – look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar…"

How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like f***ing babies at night, don't you?

"What didya do today honey?"

"Oh, we made ah, we made ah arsenic a childhood food now, goodnight." [snores] "Yeah we just said you know is your baby really too loud? You know?" [snores] "Yeah, you know the mums will love it." [snores]

Sleep like f***ing children, don't ya, this is your world isn't it?

Rich_s

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." -Drew Carey (and c/o Facebook's Sarcasm Society)

Kuco

Direct line shower of shit, I had to threaten to take them to court to get my car repaired.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Hmm, I've never really found Bill Hicks to be funny.

People only hate bad advertising.

adlyhobart
    Free Member

bill hicks is the HIGH LORD of funny!!! had the good fortune to catch him and meet him after the show before the b*****d died on us! i bet the devil is lauhing his d**k off now.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Insanely jealous of adlyhobart…

iDave
    Free Member

I never said I hated my job…… I love it

It's shallow end of the gene pool stuff which lacks imagination that makes me hate the industry

And I wonder how anyone knew where to go to see Bill Hicks live, or buy his DVD's etc. Oh yeah, he had marketing people helping his little money making empire….. Or how anyone knew anything about the brand of bike they ride… same thing…..

zeus
    Free Member

So many comparison websites about at the moment…. you think we could get a comparison website to compare comparison websites, so we know which one is the best to use? I joke, but true as bob, it'll happen… just you watch.

==========================
    Live fast, take chances!
    http://www.iRideAfrica.com

RichPenny
    Free Member

And I wonder how anyone knew where to go to see Bill Hicks live, or buy his DVD's etc. Oh yeah, he had marketing people helping his little money making empire….. Or how anyone knew anything about the brand of bike they ride… same thing…..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘marketing spin of satanic proportions’ is closed to new replies.