Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Marketing nonsense. Let's see some examples.
  • Came across this one while looking at wheels.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/campagnolo-khamsin-asymmetic-cyclocross-wheelset-2014/rp-prod112448

Dynamic balance™: every point of the rim is counter-balanced by an equal weight on the opposite side. Maximum stability of the wheel even at high speeds.

Presumably, it’s got two valve holes then, to keep it balanced.

I’m sure there’s worse out there. What have you seen ?

theotherjonv

You may scoff, but I was worried about the impact of a wheel magnet (for my bike computer) on the balance of my wheels, so I got a second and fitted it exactly diametrically opposite.

Turns out I was right to be worried, the impact was huge. i doubled my average speed overnight.

IA
    rusty90
    Free Member

the impact was huge. i doubled my average speed overnight

😆 Brilliant

fasthaggis

dawson

‘Bottom butter’!! 😆

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member
    Mister-P
    Free Member

My Shimano wheels do actually have a little weight on the opposite side of the valve hole to balance the weight of the valve.

The one I dislike (and I may get sacked for saying this) is Saracen – Machined from a solid block of awesomeness.

ahwiles
    Free Member

anything ever written, or spoken, by Dave Weagle.

stevied
    Free Member

Crank Bros also leave a little bit extra on the spoke lug opposite the valve.

D0NK

Presumably, it’s got two valve holes then, to keep it balanced.

erm what about the valve? as per mr P shimano add a weight opposite the valve stem – not that I’ve noticed a problem with my other none-balanced wheels.

Everything ever written about 650b that doesn’t admit the company is cashing in on a new wheel size.

franksinatra

I think Pinarello to the award for this with their video for their mountain bike

aracer
    Free Member

There can be only one winner

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/technology/27.5.technology/94/

(sorry kittens)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Pretty sure this trumps the 650b marketing machine. Especially since they are purporting health benefits.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Balance-Bracelet-Wristband-Lettering/dp/B003XJ3J4E

De-bunked here

Energy Bracelets: Embedding Frequencies in Holograms for Fun and Profit

duir
    Free Member

Measuring the “comparative angle of attack” for a mountain bike against a straight and level datum is sheer genius and utterly pointless unless you intend to ride only on flat tarmac!

They have brought the whole 27.5″ (27.1″) total bull**it to a brand new level with that one.

thegreatape
    Free Member

TTIUWTJ&MF

gravity-slave
    Free Member

fasthaggis – I fixed their typo:

(Sorry Jamie! 😉 )

wiggles
    Free Member

I thought that exact same thing with the wipes! No time for Photoshop though I’m working 😉

rickmeister

For Franksinatra…

Everytime this is played a kitten laughs itself to death…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9_4rcenEA[/video]

rickmeister

Plus, when the true message is lost..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TTIUWTJ

Hear, hear!

Also, much 😀 @ Miss Southampton ^^

easygirl

Im sold, just ordered a dogma xm 😉

clubber
    Free Member
    nikk
    Free Member

rusty90
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

fasthaggis – I fixed their typo:

Took a few looks, but well done. The Miss Southampton one is great too!

bentudder

My job is to look at horrible marketing cobblers all day and turn it into plain English.

One of the exercises we do with particularly resistant clients is to give them a series of paragraphs and ask them to identify the company or product it describes. It’s worked on all but one occasion, when the executive in question could identify each competitor by their specific flavour of codswallop. I think I may have cried after that meeting.

My colleague (also a former journalist) just said ‘decomplexify’ to someone on the phone, then apologised.

This is pretty astounding marketing bollocks:

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/can-ridiculously-fancy-glass-make-your-coca-cola-taste-better-156424

tomhoward

Machined from a solid block of awesomeness.

Isn’t that how surfmat was born?

Northwind

bent udder – Member

My colleague (also a former journalist) just said ‘decomplexify’ to someone on the phone, then apologised.

I wasn’t sure what to make of someone saying “dejargonize” the other day. On the one hand, aargh. But on the other, it does kind of work. No doubt they’ll invent a TLA for dejargonizing though.

sq225917
    Free Member

The shape of a glass has been proven to play a huge part in how we taste the contents, the amount of air moving within the part full glass and the shape of the lip all play a part in presenting the taste differently.

This may or may not apply to that coke glass though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Drink before you’re thirsty is a brilliant bit of marketing by the energy drinks producers , total tosh AFAIC .

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That Pinarello stuff is complete guff, but it’s a good looking bike. Shame it’ll be about £10k though or they might have sold one or two.

gaz552
    Free Member

rickmeister – Member

For Franksinatra…

Everytime this is played a kitten laughs itself to death…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9_4rcenEA

‘Quadralateral Onda Curve Asymetric’… wow.., just wow.

br
    Free Member

In the car with my mate and my eldest son.

Son asks mate what he does for a living?

I’m in Marketing says he, rather proudly.

There is quiet from the back, and then he says “so what do you sell on your stall?”

😆

bentudder

I’m in Marketing says he, rather proudly.

That tells you all you need to know. 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

The otherjonv is my nomination for best post of 2014 – I like that very much.

For (successful) marketing bullshit you only have to look at M&S Food – they get away with charging ludicrous prices even for things that have not had any ‘value’ added – like potatoes, carrots etc.

As Dara O Briann put it on Mock the Week – “I could do the voiceover for M&S. M&S potatoes, they’re just **** potatoes”.

unovolo
    Free Member

So that will be dust then?

Brake cables.
    Available in “High tech grey” or good old fashioned low tech black.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slr-brake-outer-casing/rp-prod27660

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

just bought some high tech grey outers 😳

convinced my shifting is infinitly better than my low tech black ones 😆

Kappius’ carbon fibre and alloy hub shell is vented to prevent pressure buildup when braking. This keeps water and muck from being drawn into the bearings when the hub cools.

Hub with holes in it, which will immediately fill up with mud when ridden.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Marketing nonsense. Let's see some examples.’ is closed to new replies.