• This topic has 46 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Caher.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Marketing emails – what’s your limit?
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

My limit is zero, I decline any option to subscribe, and unsubscribe from suppliers I’ve bought stuff from. If I get marketing email from somewhere I haven’t had dealings with, I write back and point out that it’s illegal, and ask where they got my address. Occasionally I get an apology; if not I usually give up rather than chase further.

Review requests are getting really annoying. I don’t mind providing a review but the number of third parties concerns me, both re data protection and phishing. Unless I recognise the domain as either the supplier or a well known survey organisation I don’t go to the site. The worst are the ones that send several emails before you can have anything to say, like the travel insurance that asks for a review the day you go away, and ‘reminds’ you half way through the trip; I’m not reviewing insurance products until I’ve either made a claim or know I won’t need to.

Maybe I’m just getting grumpy in my advancing years!

chakaping
    Free Member

It must work for CRC though. They’ve deliberately stepped up the frequency over the last couple of years and they must have the most sophisticated marketing operation in the UK cycling biz.

ChrisL

I remember someone (Michael@CRC rings a bell) coming on here several years ago and swearing blind that CRC only sent out marketing emails once a week. That definitely went out of the window quite some time ago. It was the point that they started sending out lifestyle emails (“from the Hub at CRC” maybe?) in addition to multiple other emails each week that I unsubscribed from them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Don’t think for a second that these emails are just sent out willy nilly. The marketing departments will have huge amounts of data on click rates, conversion rates, which day of the week is best to send, is it better morning or afternoon etc etc. If sending four emails a week was having a negative effect on the impact of the marketing emails they would know almost immediately and would stop doing it.

As someone in a very large marketing department I can confirm this 100%. Not all bike shops to such a degree but definitely the big ones.

However really the idea of one size fits all is quickly getting old. While the average email performance might show them this approach works, this thread shows different people want different things and they should really be able to adapt to send less frequently to those that don’t want them very often, and more frequently to those that do.

And yes GDPR is going to come to a shock to a lot of marketing departments I expect. We have put a huge amount of time and effort into prepping, I suspect not everyone has, especially if they can’t handle a basic unsubscribe request at the moment.

sniff
    Free Member

Install Google Inbox, problem solved.

Northwind

“DezB

and review Collect+ ! Every time you use it!”

I use myhermes a lot and I get asked to do their survey on average once a fortnight. Every time I give everything 3 stars and say “you are sort of crap but very cheap”. You’d think they’d get the message

Caher

I was curious about buying a Brompton once and now I seem to get 1 a day, so I plan to unsubscribe as I never read them now.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Marketing emails – what’s your limit?’ is closed to new replies.