Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Market town within 60ish miles of Manchester
  • Harry_the_Spider

Need inspiration for a family day out next Sunday. Ideally a nice market town that we can wander around. We were in Beverley last weekend and it was perfect. I’m thinking along the lines of Harrogate or Buxton but would welcome any other ideas. We’ve already done Skipton this year.

Help me STW, you’re my only hope.

nbt

Buxton is lovely but means heading through Stockport

Settle is wonderful

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Knutsford markets a belting day out, first Sunday of every month though.

Chester? York?

loddrik
    Free Member

Frodsham

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Oi! What’s up with Stockers?

nickhart
    Free Member

buxton is ok, quaint and a bit odd. the museum is odd but good! not obvious.
    macclesfield have the treacle market…..

marcus7
    Free Member

Frodsham? I assume thats a joke!! 😯 8)

doris5000

nantwich or chester?

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a market town. Admittedly without much of a market.

tthew

Not really lot to do in Frodsham except walk up to the war memorial and look at Runcorn. Market day is in the week and it’s really not up to much anyway. Cowards pies and Twelve50 cycles are possibly the best reasons for a trip there.

Chester however has loads to do for families. Walk round the walls, boat hire on the river, roman museum. Chester Model Centre might appeal to you I reckon.

slowoldman

Oi! What’s up with Stockers?

One word. Merseyway.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Point taken.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You might hear the Bury has a market; don’t be fooled.

It has an open air pound shop that old people with tartan shoppers and pointy elbows find irresistible.

Harry_the_Spider

We’ve done Chester too this year. Keep ’em coming though.

Also, I’ve been to Stockport. I don’t mind driving through but nothing have ever tempted me to stop. Ever.

I’m from Bury. We shall give that a swerve also, but will be there the day before for swimming lessons and a quick trip to Tesco if I can’t get any houmous with a long enough use by date at Prestwich. But, I digress…

marcus7
    Free Member

Kendal? just about that distance and there are plenty of places to visit locally??

johndoh
    Free Member

Harrogate isn’t strictly a market town.

But right next door is Knaresborough – a proper market town complete with a lovely river for walking beside and boating in (Waterside)

And further along (Abbey Road) there are some great tree stump sculptures…

And of course, the castle…

And it is home to the famous (from Le Tour) spotty house (although the spots have now gone)…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Foodie Friday at Stockport Market is really good to be honest.

https://www.facebook.com/FoodieFridayStockport

MSP

Clitheroe? and what about the home of singletrack which is so memorable I have forgotten the name of it.

RustySpanner

Llangollen’s nice.
    Bit far though.

Harry_the_Spider

It doesn’t have to have an actual market, just a market town type vibe. You know, Georgian architecture and no piss soaked subways.

Salford has a market.

RustySpanner

Ripon?

wombat

Clitheroe?

The place that some people are alleged to have great difficulty finding…?

Harry_the_Spider

And it is home to the famous (from Le Tour) spotty house (although the spots have now gone)…

So it is just a house then? Come to Knaresborough and see the… errr… house? 😉

Knaresborough is lovely, we’ve been there too.

doris5000

Also, I’ve been to Stockport. I don’t mind driving through but nothing have ever tempted me to stop. Ever.

but it’s got a Decathlon 😕

ElShalimo

Bakewell
    Leek ??

tthew

What about Liverpool. Not really a market town vibe granted, but there is shit loads of stuff to do there.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Rammy

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I’ll second Knaresborough. Went there a couple of months ago. It was lovely.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wirksworth

ourmaninthenorth

The place that some people are alleged to have great difficulty finding…?

But those who do are heroes?

I’d second Clitheroe – small and cosy. A few nice looking shops. Amazing countryside.

johndoh
    Free Member

So it is just a house then? Come to Knaresborough and see the… errr… house?

Err, yeah 🙂

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Take the family up to Ingleton and do the walk round the waterfalls – fantastic day out. finish up with fish and chips from the chippy as you re-enter the town.

Maybe combine it with a stop in Kirby Lonsdale for a walk around the town.

Be warned though, the water falls aren’t free!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I liked Knaresborough. Good place and Mother Shipton’s cave may fascinate the kids.

I liked Holmfirth as well – but we did go when the food festival was on.

BillMC

Bakewell. Got to agree about Bury with Eggy, they even made a mess of my black pudding sandwich, it was repulsive.

Garry_Lager

slowoldman – Member

One word. Merseyway.

Developments afoot at Merseyway – The Mersey has recently been revealed. There is now a hole in the ground where one can view the majestic flower.

Just need to pull the rest of it down and Stockport will be on its way.

Mackem

Ok, it’s not a town but what about Chester?

stevedoc
    Free Member

Skipton is around 50 minutes from Manchester ,could be worth a punt, very busy of a weekend

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Buxton may technically be a market town but the market has been in steady decline for years. It’s not worth going to now UNLESS you happen to be there when they have one of their speciality markets on…which aren’t held on the market place 🙂

Had it been this Sunday just gone Leek would have been a very good shout. Lots of interesting stalls and live music going on as well as a beautiful sunny day. Leek is a better market town than Buxton (having lived in both) but Buxton will probably keep you occupied for the whole day a little better.

Is it the market you want to see specifically? Do the traditional markets even open on Sundays? These places can be great if stuff is open and happening, but if things are closed you may get bored easily.

globalti
    Free Member

Appleby, a fascinating little town that’s fine whenever the Travellers aren’t there.

Nearer to Manchester there’s Clitheroe, which has a Booths (although there’s also a Booths at Media City) and the smallest castle in England, lots of Europiss pubs and one proper pub with an amazing selction of ales, the New Inn, in the shadow of the castle. Good market, railway station, sports centre and nice pool, as well as easy access to some prime cycling and walking country, not to mention Downham, of Born & Bred fame.

djglover
    Free Member

Ilkley FTW, like Harrogate not a market town but a spa town

Do the shops, cafe or a Restaurant, pubs are great. its the literary festival if you can get to a talk, then a walk on the moor or up the Beacon

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Market town within 60ish miles of Manchester’ is closed to new replies.