Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Marked stanchions on Revelations – what to do?
  • Zaskar93
    Free Member

Aargh! Just noticed there a patch of light scoring in the anodized coating on the inside of the left leg of my 2012 Revelation Race forks. I’m very annoyed as I always clean them really well, dry them and cycle them through their travel with a few spots of Finish Line Wet lube and clean the exces off. Had them serviced last year at TFTuned and at the same time bought a lower leg service kit but I’ve never been brave enough to pull them apart. I guess I should have. Will it just be grit behind the wiper seal? What should I do next?

robhughes
    Free Member

Fit said lower seal kit.Dead easy to do.You tube,s sram videos.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Probably gritt that did it under the wiper seal as you said. Any pics?

Zaskar93
    Free Member

I’ll watch Sram and Tim Flooks do it again online and then bite the bullet and pull them apart, and then call on some mates if it all goes pear shaped. Oh, and 2012 is a typo, they’re 2010. Thanks.

Northwind

Are you absolutely sure it’s damaged? Reason I ask is that my Revelations have had sort of “tide marks” from new, which look superficially like damage but actually seems to be just a discolouration.

Doing a lowers service on a Revelation is very easy you’ll be pleased to hear- if you can undo a bolt, clean your bum, hit a nail and measure a shot of whisky, you’ve got all the relevant skills :mrgreen:

Zaskar93
    Free Member

No pics. It’s an area that seems roughly triangular in shape with it’s point uppermost and it’s base just above the seal and about 1 to 1.5cm wide. No deep gouges but just looks like it’s been rubbed down with wet and dry just enough to show different colour through the anodizing. I swear it wasn’t there before the last ride out Thursday night.

ste_t
    Free Member

I only ever used dry lube when I ran out of fork lube. Surely wet lube would just absord filth like it does on your chain?

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. My mate showed me how to strip and relube the lowers. Given them a good clean inside, soaked the foam washers in oil and rebuilt the forks with some new oil squirted in. I think the bushings had got dry. Feel much better now and the travel has extended back to the full 150mm. I think we’ll just about get away with the slight marking on the stanchions; it doesn’t seem to affect their performance. Think I’ll look for a torque wrench now so I can do them myself more regularly in future.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Northwind, do you use a dowel to clean your bum?! 😉

I’ve got scratches on a couple of stanctions, air Pike and coil Lyriks – neither is suffering as a result.

Glad you seem to be sorted Zaskar

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Marked stanchions on Revelations – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.