Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Marin Train…Worth a Long Drive? How does it compare to…
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Thinking of going to Marin trail on Monday…Driving from the Midlands so first question is it worth the 2 1/2-3 hour drive each way?

Secondly from a difficult (fitness point of view) how does it compare to ridding Llandegla/Cannock?

Thanks in advance.

kayak23

I found it quite fireroady personally. Some great bits, lovely surroundings, fireroady…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lots of fire road but quite fun , and the new bit is great with a nice tight climb.
    Personaly Id not drive that far to ride it. Not ridden Cannock and only Llandegla twice and can’t rember it being hard unless your going round and round

jekkyl

it’s much easier & more boring than Cannock or Degla. you like endless fireroad up & in some cases down!? imo it’s not worth that drive. If you’re in the Midlands there is far better natural riding much closer, the dark peak, the long Mynd for example. If

nwill1
    Free Member

Is the Long Mynd easy to navigate/sign posted?

simondbarnes

I enjoyed it when I rode it. Do a lap and then nip up the road and do Penmachno (or vice versa) for a fine day out.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Penmachno was very very last last weekend

chrishc777
    Free Member

Since it’s been worked on it’s my favourite Wales trail. Definitely can’t remember any significant fire road downs, lots of steepish fireroad up but the descents were all really good singletrack.

Was up there a couple weeks ago and much preferred it to anything at Coedy or Afan. Liked it so much was planning to make the 7hr drive there again this weekend until I broke my collar bone

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

C-Y-Brennin is Waaaay better, imo

markrh
    Free Member

I thought it was great. There is fire road but there always fire road.. Final descent is still a corker.

andeh

New bits have removed the big fire road descent. I really rate it as a trail, shits all over the 12 mile BMX track that is Llandegla.

rOcKeTdOg

simondbarnes – Member
    I enjoyed it when I rode it. Do a lap and then nip up the road and do Penmachno (or vice versa) for a fine day out.

+1
    Park in Betws, ride to Marin & do a lap, ride back to Betws for lunch, ride to penmachno do a lap, ride back to car

votchy
    Free Member

Penmachno was very very last last weekend

wtf lol 😀

simondbarnes – Member

+1
    Park in Betws, ride to Marin & do a lap, ride back to Betws for lunch, ride to penmachno do a lap, ride back to car

+1

monksie
    Free Member

“it’s much easier & more boring than Cannock or Degla.” Is that at all possible? And anyone who calls it “Degla” needs a punch square in the face. Even the original bridleways, way before they turned it into a trail centre are now virtually all overgrown.
    I’m just finishing a riding holiday from home in the Peak and I’ve been to Snowdon, Marin and I’ll be stopping off at Llandegla (barring any mechanicals – rear hub sounds a little distressed). They’re in my order of fun. Got to be honest, I’ll probably just get something to eat at the cafe before heading home. Not too bothered about doing a lap of any.

jekkyl

If I was gonna do it again I’d stay over and make a weekend of it and do other stuff, wait until the ban’s over and do Snowdon?

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

The first climb goes past the start of the great last downhill, so you can do it at the start and end of the loop, double the fun.

legend
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

I found it quite fireroady personally. Some great bits, lovely surroundings, fireroady…

fireroad to awesome trail to fireroad to awesome trail and so on. Glad they spent the time/money focusing on cracking descents and making do with the bits in between tbh. I give it 4 skids out of 5

terrahawk
    Free Member

The Marin is well-worth a 3 hour drive. Betws is a great place to stop off at too. Do what Simon says and combine with a lap of Penmachno.
    Or be really adventurous and go for a ride on Conwy Mountain.

Llandegla is enjoyable if you get there early in the week but at a weekend it’s a congested place. And it’s normally full of litter and scousers 🙂
    ‘Degla’ my arse.

zilog6128

Following this thread with interest as I’m off that way for the first time on Sunday!

I’ll be driving up from Kent, anywhere good to stop off on the way for a ride of an hour or two to break up the drive?

agent007
    Free Member

Marin way better than Llandegla in my book, lovely scenery and feels like you’re pretty out in the wilds at times, where as at Llandegla you’ll probably have to fight for a car park space, queue for a bacon butty, and then have one of the over-biked full face brigade nipping at your heels the whole way round. Nothing wrong with fireroad climbs, gets them over and done with quickly and efficiently.

jekkyl

I’ll be driving up from Kent, anywhere good to stop off on the way for a ride of an hour or two to break up the drive?

Cannock! – junc 11 of the M6.
    Allow an hour for the Dog or 2 and a bit for the full monkey, if you’re good.

& what’s wrong with calling it Degla? who cares….. DEGLA DEGLA DEGLA 😛

larkim
    Free Member

There seems a lot of love for the Marin trail here, I was a bit “meh” when I went last year. Perhaps I’m just less in love with capable at more natural cross country riding. On the plus side, there’s no single 3 mile slog up a firetrack as at Llandegla, on the downside very few of the technical sections really felt that long.

Having said that, it was being ridden after a long day out doing something else, so perhaps my view is tainted. I do remember the last section raising more of a smile than the rest of the route together.

terrahawk
    Free Member

The Marin has a lovely ‘natural’ feel to it, possibly cos it’s so old. It’s particularly non-trail centre-ish when wet…

tthew

I went a few weeks ago, first time in a couple of years, and it’s better than it was due to the new section. If you want a bit more there’s a nice natural riding extension we did to make it a proper day out without having to shuttle over to Penmachno.
    Marin and more route.

If you have the problem of

over-biked full face brigade nipping at your heels the whole way round

at Llandegla, you need to ride faster. 😆

sprocker
    Free Member

I think it’s ok, I have driven from the midlands to ride it, Penmancho 1st then Marin in the afternoon. Prefer it to llandogla to be honest and possibly Cannock as well but that’s mainly down to the surroundings.

andeh

Incidentally, has anyone ever managed to clear that steppy, footpath section on the Marin without a dab? I bet some local ninja has at some point.

chestrockwell

We travelled from Yorkshire for the weekend last year. Starts well, all becomes a bit repetitive in the middle then you hit the final long descent which is properly ace if you go full attack mode.

Sounds like they’ve made the middle bit more interesting so worth a trip IMO.

terrahawk
    Free Member

has anyone ever managed to clear that steppy, footpath section on the Marin

I’ve never bothered trying! Just adds to the faux-natural riding experience really.

IHN

A six hour round trip, passing through/by Shropshire and North/Mid Wales, to ride a route at a trail centre.

Man, this sport has passed me by…

*shakes head*

andeh

The new bit is very good, really sharp, steep switchback climbs interspersed with fast, swoopy bikepark bits. Definitely possible to tear off a tyre on some of the turns.

terrahawk
    Free Member

so nobody should ride somewhere further away than the nearest ‘nice’ riding spot every now and then?

zilog6128

Cannock! – junc 11 of the M6.
    Allow an hour for the Dog or 2 and a bit for the full monkey, if you’re good.

Nice one, thanks. Might even go the “wrong” way round the M25 & do Swinley as well, only adds about ½ hour to the journey.

Will definitely check out Marin Trail & “degla” (during the week!)

IHN

so nobody should ride somewhere further away than the nearest ‘nice’ riding spot every now and then?

No, no, absolutely, peeps should try riding in new places, definitely. I just don’t understand why anyone would choose a new trail centre over new ‘natural’ stuff.

For me the sport is (well, was) all about exploration of the outdoors. Now it seems to be more about the gnaar. It’s an observation, not a criticism.

terrahawk
    Free Member

For me the sport is (well, was) all about exploration of the outdoors. Now it seems to be more about the gnaar. It’s an observation, not a criticism.

it’s at least both of those.

mos

BTW, it’s not ‘Degla its actually ‘Degs’, Bro!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I hadn’t been for the last 10 year until 3 weeks ago, now I’ve done it 3x in the last month, love the new sections, and the old rocky bits are good if ridden v fast, always worth pushing up the last decent to do it again. Really enjoy the place and will defo be back in a few weeks.

zilog6128

No, no, absolutely, peeps should try riding in new places, definitely. I just don’t understand why anyone would choose a new trail centre over new ‘natural’ stuff.

Although I’m happy to go out & explore & potentially get lost closer to home, if I’m driving for hours (which is rare) I’ve got limited time so I’d rather have a guaranteed good ride on a way-marked trail (or following a GPX) than explore & risk missing all the good bits (although I realise that sometimes the best bits are found by just riding around when you’re lost!)

chakaping
    Free Member

Rode most of it a couple of weekends ago, as part of a bigger loop.

Really impressed. Will return, but def not gonna drive 2 or 3 hours each way just to do so!

IHN

if I’m driving for hours (which is rare) I’ve got limited time so I’d rather have a guaranteed good ride on a way-marked trail (or following a GPX) than explore & risk missing all the good bits

So this is where it gets a bit circular; why drive for hours, why not try somewhere new closer to home, so you have more time to explore?

I’ll be honest, this all basically stems from my dislike of trail centres generally, they just seem soulless (as appallingly **** as I admit that sounds). I can see why people do like them, I just don’t.

zilog6128

So this is where it gets a bit circular; why drive for hours, why not try somewhere new closer to home, so you have more time to explore?

show me where the mountains are in Kent & I’ll explore the **** out of them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Marin Train…Worth a Long Drive? How does it compare to…’ is closed to new replies.