Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Marin Trail, Penmachno and suggestions please –
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Staying in Penmachno Village for 3 days this week. 🙂

So appart from Penmachno and the Marin-Trail what would your trail suggestions be?

TVM

stevede
    Free Member

My advice is to do the Penmachno loop without the extension loop, its not of the same standard as the original loop which gets better the further in you go, the final few sections are really good. Marin trail i felt a bit disappointed with, lots and lots of fireroad climbing and nice views but not much in the way of payback, reasonable sections but too short, the final descent i was told was good but once my mate in our group had a mechanical i was quite happy to accompany him to the car park and cut my ride short (i had done Snowdon in the morning to be fair though).
    We did Penmachno twice in the week we were up there and everyone enjoyed it. Snowdon is worth a trip (outside voluntary ban times) and CYB and Llandegla are worth a short drive imo.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheers Stevede – we’re def doing ‘Machno and totally agree 2nd loop isn’t worth it.

I do like Marin though, I must say so will be doing that again. Love Llandegla but for logistical reasons would need to do that on way home.

Any other recomendations? PS – don’t want to have to drive more than half hour from Penmachno village…

dryroasted
    Free Member

Do snowdon, u can get there in 30 mins, have to go early though

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Loop 2 of Penmachno is totally worth it. It’s really only an extension of loop 1, so you ride all of that too.

Are you into the downhilly side of things? You could check out the new stuff at Ffestiniog up the road.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Llyn colwyd,sarn helen,fairy glen,gerionedd,Arthur steinog.

saxabar
    Free Member

Lots of North Wales routes here. There are a couple off the Marin at that link and, as mentioned, the new Blaneau Ffestiniog trails are open. Re. Penmachno Loop 2 – what’s not to like?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Machno Loop 2 just seemed well ‘chore-like’ the last couple of times I did it – could have been due to my fitness tho at the time of last riding which made it so.

Bullandbladder – Am more into the DH side tbh – I take it the new Steniog trails are within a proverbial ‘stones throw’?

Cheers all

Any more suggestions welcome.

singlespeedstu

Another vote for the Llyn Colwyd loop. Great fun.

2012_0225Welshwales0027 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr
    The Meol Siabod loop’s nice too.
    Both of these can be done as an extension to the Marin trail.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies folks – are the ‘loops’ which i admittedly haven’t heard of ‘way-marked’ in any way?

singlespeedstu

Yes.

Theres a few bridleway signs here and there. 😆

bullandbladder
    Free Member

You can drive there straight out of Penmachno. Sure to be no more than half an hour:

http://www.anturstiniog.com/finding-us/

Looks like you might need to book the uplift though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Marin Trail, Penmachno and suggestions please –’ is closed to new replies.