Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Marin Pine Mountain recall…what. the. flip
  • flange
    Free Member

Took advantage of the C2W scheme and bagged myself a nice shiny new Pine Mountain with the rigid forks. Had it all of a week. Nice email this morning from Paligap informing me to stop riding it because the forks will break.

Marin has concluded that all 2016 “Pine Mountain 1” and 2017 “Pine Mountain” bicycles will be voluntarily recalled due to the potential for the fork to bend or break at the fork crown area (although no injuries have occurred so far). Once an action plan is devised and retrofit forks are available for distribution, Marin will provide the necessary replacement parts and other materials as required.
    Once we’ve received confirmation from Marin or Paligap regarding the replacement forks, we will contact you with how to proceed in getting them replaced. In the meantime, we must stress that Marin does not recommend that you continue to use your effected bicycle.

Brilliant – there goes my trip to Wales at the weekend. I suppose the only option I have is to upgrade the forks earlier than anticipated. Anyone know what travel I should run? 120mm?

TimP
    Free Member

This years’s Pine Mountain 1 ships with a 120mm fork and “looks” to be the same frame as the Pine Mountain

https://www.teamcycles.com/bikes/p-8344-marin-pine-mountain-1-275/

Got the recall email too so mine is just sat in the shed, all lonely. What are you going to do about the wheels? The front is QR and a weird dimension (141mm I think?) but not sure how adaptable the hub is.

I thought about maybe getting some suspension, but then thought it might be new wheels too, and so just went out and rode it instead. Be interested to see what you get…

EDIT:

my email had this at the bottom

Marin has revised the design of the forks, and is currently producing replacements.
    ? Replacement forks will be sent directly to you in the first week of March.
    ? Replacement forks will be visibly different to allow you and your customers to easily tell the difference between the original, and the replacement forks.
    ? Replacement forks will ship with cut steerers, and crown race + star nuts installed, to facilitate quick replacement.”

So you might still get out at the weekend?

v666ern
    Free Member

Cant really help with ^ but i have a couple of bikes in the shed you could borrow on your way through Gloucester/Swindon area.

26 medium anthem
    26 large kona entourage
    27.5 xl rose uncle jimbo
    they arent anything special but a ride is still a ride!

always liked the look of those marin 🙁

flange
    Free Member

v666ern – thats a really generous offer, thank you. I’ll see how it goes, I could always just take the road bike instead, but obviously wanted a whinge!

TimP – that’s the issue. I really don’t want to have to fork out (HA!) for a new wheel too, but I can’t see any way to convert the front to bolt-thu. I’m also amazed at the cost of Boost forks (which you have to have for 650b+?), a basic Yari is £500 from CRC! Even a Reba is £460…I remember the days when…

matt_outandabout

effected

🙄

flange
    Free Member

I know right! That bit got me too..

cynic-al
    Free Member

They deserve to go out of business for that.

TimP
    Free Member

It seemed an odd thing to do in using a boost width but then a QR. I had sort of assumed you could pop off the ends and it would all be 15mm ready. But then I live in my own little world where I assume that bike bits fit all bikes. Might be worth talking to Marin direct as the specs are all very confusing

On the PM 1 above the spec sheet says Joytec 110mm 9mm QR hub, but the fork spec says 15mm and the PM has the same call up on the hub and it definitely is 9mm

flange
    Free Member

But then I live in my own little world where I assume that bike bits fit all bikes

You and me both. I might just sit it out for the new fork then, rather than faffing about with a new fork and wheel. By the time I’ve piss-balled about buying it all and fitting it, I’ll have spent nearly the purchase price of the bike. Bloody bikes….

madxela
    Free Member

Anyone had their replacement fork yet??

TimP
    Free Member

No 🙁

bodgy
    Free Member

No. But I am wondering whether they can cut a deal on a Rock Shot Reckon 27.5+, like what they’re fitting to th 2017 model. Gonna talk to my dealer. Bike dealer.

bodgy
    Free Member

Replacement forks will be visibly different to allow you and your customers to easily tell the difference between the original, and the replacement forks.

Well, call me an old cynic if you will, but that sounds a bit shit. Almost as if they are anticipating and making excuses for the new forks in advance.

singlespeedstu

Meh just ride it this weekend then think about getting the warranty work on it.
    These things are often an ass covering excercise a bit like the Fox X2 recall thing.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The Fox recall was turned around by Mojo in about a week nice new cartridge and oil etc great.

johnnystorm

bodgy – Member
    Replacement forks will be visibly different to allow you and your customers to easily tell the difference between the original, and the replacement forks.
    Well, call me an old cynic if you will, but that sounds a bit shit. Almost as if they are anticipating and making excuses for the new forks in advance.

Nothing so sinister. Stops the bikeshop fitting a duff fork back on a bike by accident and informs future buyers whether the bike they are about to buy needs the recall or not. Salsa did it by putting their compass logos inside the forks.

singlespeedstu

The Fox recall was turned around by Mojo in about a week nice new cartridge and oil etc great.

New air can. Not sure what a new cartridge is… They did mine while I waited.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I got a letter in the post today from the bike shop I bought mine from (they are excellent). I’ve got the steel forked Pine Mountain One, and the letter states that some of the forks have developed cracks around the brake hose area. I’ve been riding it for nearly a year without issue.

Flange – What are the tyres now on the new ones as the original Kendas are dire and im too tight to buy new ones..

Gonna drop it in anyhow.

jes
    Free Member

First ever MTB was a 1993 (from memory) Marin Eldride, waited 3 months and then delivered with a downgraded spec compared to all the rave magazine reviews at the time.

Short version – Made enquies as to why, gave the runaround, fobbed off, traumatised, sold bike after 3 months, got a GT Zaskar exactly as described in the brochure, purchased several other Gt bikes never ever……….. Ever………. Ever purchase another Marin product.

I’m over it now……….maybe. Thank you for listening.

Not bought an off the shelf bike since the GT days but got the impression they were all pretty well made and good value these days.

Personally I would probally be asking for a exchange or loan bike so you can go riding.

TimP
    Free Member

rumbledethumps – the 2017 came with 3″ Nobby Nics Performance tyres. Despite some reviews of semi-fat being awful in the mud etc, I have found them pretty good.

bodgy
    Free Member

Sticking Jones H bars on my PM1 totally transformed it; much better handling and comfort.

SaxonRider

I so wanted one of the Pine Mountains back in December, but was put off by their weird in-house axle size. Part of the appeal was the way the bike looked; I loved the classic design and colours.

Reading this thread, though, makes me glad I got a Tarn 10 instead. 🙁

Sorry for your troubles!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is it possible that the new Alpkit Lovemud wheels that come in Boost bolt through and bolt QR using adaptors have the same hubs? Maybe when they start appearing adaptors will be available separately and if the hubs are the same (how many people are actually making Boost QR hubs, surely just one lot?) then the adaptors could be transferable for those wanting suspension forks.

flange
    Free Member

Yep – I’ve got the NN’s on mine, practically brand new through lack of use. Still no word on the fork yet, which is an utter pain in the arse as I wanted to go out on the weekend but didn’t fancy chancing it (Last year I had a train crash, a car crash and a pretty major bike crash so I know what my luck is like).

I’m going to stick an H bar on it (when the forks eventually turn up) and possibly a set of WTB horizons and tour France on it. There’s about a billion mounts on the frame so seems a shame not to use them

TimP
    Free Member

I took my life in my hands and rode it 1 mile on road to work today.

I like to live life on the edge…

6079smithw
    Free Member

Perfect excuse to slap a fat front end on it

scotroutes

Salsa did a fork recall a couple of years ago. The visible change was to move a decal from the inside to the outside of the fork (or maybe it was the other way around). It’s just so that it’s easy to identify the bad batch.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Well I dropped mine in Monday, hopefully Paligap will ship out the spares pretty quick.

There is one thing that has miffed me big time since I had it. Trying to fit an old SLX (M675) brakeset. The front spokes foul the SLX caliper when mounted to the fork. Im guessing this is due in part to the caliper having a slightly raised housing (I assume to accommodate where the piston is). In the end I had to mate the stock calipers in order to use the SLX levers (complete rebleed).

Shite!

What went into the fork design that resulted in such limited choice of Brake sets?

A right pain in the arse. The wheels are built with the spokes coming right out to each side of the rim.

And it would be nice if Marin ever replied on their social media. 😀

kazafaza
    Free Member

Nothing on their website confirming the bad news either…

http://www.marinbikes.com/gb/support/recalls

steezysix
    Free Member

All this makes me glad I went for a Genesis Longtitude… No funny standards, 100mm front and 135mm rear so will work with all my old spare parts!

TimP
    Free Member

Anyone got their new forks yet? Any pics of the replacements?

flange
    Free Member

I’m about to ‘nut up’ and buy some sus forks for mine. I can’t see the new forks coming anytime soon.

Even better is that Marin are pushing this bike hard on the advertising side on Twitter at the moment. I’ve had no response to my comments about the recall which is nice of them

TimP
    Free Member

Just called Charlie – due to land in the UK this week, but still TBC…

flange
    Free Member

With my BC discount, I can do a reba boost fork and a 15mm Hope front boosted wheel for £500 all in. Might be the cheapest I can do it – forks are chuffin expensive!

TimP
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

What went into the fork design that resulted in such limited choice of Brake sets?

It’s the spoke clearance and hence the hub design, not the forks.

flange
    Free Member

Thanks Tim, will have a read through. I think the problem is that the PM front wheel is a bit of a **** axle size, which means that any fork I buy (boosted or not) means I’ll need a new front wheel regardless. A hope Pro4 boosted on hope rim is £125 which isn’t too bad, its just the fork being the thick end of £500 that pisses me off! If I could reuse the front wheel then it’d just be a matter of a new fork reducing the cost considerably.

TimP
    Free Member

The link has a load of 29″ forks that people have tried out, boost and non-boost, and certainly a 29″ Fox 36 wont be cheaper from a shop but you might be able to pick up something off eBay?

My PM was an ex demo so only cost a bit more than your upgrade! Luckily I have another bike, but otherwise I would be getting very frustrated. Did you try and get the end caps off the front wheel to see if it was/is convertible?

flange
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I didn’t – I was trying to set them up tubeless and got so annoyed with the stupid rim shape/valve shape that I gave up and stormed off inside for a coffee.

Will have a look on Ebay – the only CRC option is 100mm travel Reba’s which I’m not wild on – I’d rather get 120mm if I can.

Just a quick one – do you know what headset it takes? Assuming the existing for isn’t tapered so I’ll need a new headset too!

TimP
    Free Member

Looks tapered, but not taken it apart. And mine took ages to seal tubeless, but I did put the wrong sealant in…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Marin Pine Mountain recall…what. the. flip’ is closed to new replies.