Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Marin Indian Firetrail '94 stem+headset+forks confusion :)
  • brokenframe
    Free Member

Hi guys,

A friend of mine owns this Marin from the early ’90. It has a quill stem originally with a threaded headset and a set of marzocchi 700 forks, probably with a 1″ threaded steerer. He wants to replace his forks as he loves the bike. Is it possible to fit a different headset so it could take a 1 1/8 steerer and an ahead stem, or is there not enough space for that in the frame?

If he needs to stick with the traditional 1″ threaded steerer what would be a good option as a replacement fork?

Way too confused here.. 🙂

Many thanks!
    Gabs

MrOvershoot

I had a 1990 Pine Mountain and I fitted a standard set of 1 1/8 bouncy forks to it + aheadset so it should be fine.

As to what fork, I have no idea as its probably 5 years since I bought a new set of forks.

gonzy
    Free Member

if it has a 1″ steerer then he wont be able to fit a larger 1 1/8th fork in the frame as it wont fit.
    you need to check that the frame has definitely got a 1″ head tube and not a 1 1/8th one.
    if its the latter then you can fit a standard 1 1/8th headset and fork to the frame although the frame geometry would only allow you to fit a 100mm fork.
    i had a 96 eldridge grade that came with a 1 1/8th head tube

kiwijohn

I’m pretty sure it’s 1 1/8 inch.The LBS just had one in & put a newer fork on it.

Nobby

According to the ’94 catalogue it had a 1 1/8th Ritchey Logic headset so it should be fine.

It is entirely possible that I have an original Marin Ovation threadless stem & bars if he wants to keep it in period. 😉

In fact, there may even be some Marin/Mavic wheels in the garage that are both rim & disc brake compatible.

Pyro

Yeah, as kiwijohn, pretty sure it’s 1-1/8″. I had an Indian Fire Trail of a fairly similar vintage, raw silver frame, purple decals with Manitou 2’s on it. I got the LBS to strip the headset out and stuck an A-Head, Marz MXCs and a new stem on it. A mate is still riding that frame a good 7 years after I sold it on!

haggis1978

Pretty sure a ’94 was 1 1/8th. Can’t open this catalogue as on my phone but this will say for sure. He’d be looking to get something like an older Sid I would say as the bike would be designed around a 63mm fork and anything more than that might affect the handling. Some older 80mm Sids can be reduced down to 63mm.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Marin/Catalogues/1994.pdf.html

kiwijohn

An 80mm will be fine. I think it’s a myth that a 20mm longer fork will screw up the handling. I have a 95 DBR Axis TT with a 80mm Fox & it makes no difference. I could have gone for a 100mm.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have an early 90’s Marin Muirwoods and its got an 1 1/8th headtube so the 94 bike will be the same. I’ve fitted an aheadset/threadless forks to mine.

The only issue you’ll have when fitting suspension forks is getting something that will suit the geometry of the bike.

brokenframe
    Free Member

Thanks guys! 🙂 I managed to open up the ’94 catalogue mentioned up here and it says the same as you lot that it should be 1 1/8. Really good news. Now I will start looking at options. I’m sure i will get caught out pretty soon with what kind of headset… 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

AFAIK the first Aluminium Marins came with 1 1/8″ headsets and came out in 1990 / 91.

brokenframe
    Free Member

the bottom option with the ahead option..

brokenframe
    Free Member

for the headset I’ve found this. It looks like it should all work together fine, right? 🙂

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-parts/headsets/fsa-orbit-equipe-1-1-8-headset

cakefacesmallblock

On this very subject, please forgive me a naive ( perhaps) question, as I m looking at something similar on a 97 GT.

Do I simply measure the inside diameter of the head tube itself for being 1 1/8 ” ?

Can’t believe I’m doubting what I should be doing , but nevertheless … 😳

RustySpanner

I’ve got a nice pair of Manitou Magnum R elastomer 80mm forks knocking about if they’re any use?
    10 years younger than the bike, but they’ll fit fine.

brokenframe
    Free Member

Thanks guys! I’ll let my friend know about the parts offered here, stem, bars and forks..

Cakeface.. that’s kind of where I got lost myself.. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Marin Indian Firetrail '94 stem+headset+forks confusion :)’ is closed to new replies.