Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Marin Alchemist all over again?
  • plus-one

That bike makes the old whyte look pretty 😆

In case you forgot

molgrips
    Free Member

I like that, and it’s clever and I don’t doubt it rides really well BUT

1 – it’s complicated, which can be a problem

2 – I can see it ending up like linkage forks – great, but everyone’s used to how normal bikes ride so aren’t bothered.

3 – Wtf is he talking about when he says “people just want to have fun”? Seriously? If you want to have fun why are they going to buy a bike on the basis of supreme efficiency and saving 6 seconds off a two mile climb? People in search of fun can often be seen *pushing* bikes up climbs (which is fine) so who the hell cares about supreme efficiency?

4 – He also says “and “can only afford one bike”. Er.. if you can afford one of these things then you can certainly afford more than one normal bike!

shortyj15

How thick is that bit below the holes? I bet that’ll be solid carbon

funkmasterp

Genuine question: Do people really make bike purchasing decisions based on “Do I think it looks pretty?”

Not pretty as such, but I do have to like the look of a bike. I’ve never had a Cannondale or Giant for this exact reason. It’s also one of the reasons why 99% of my bikes have been Steel Hardtails.

3 – Wtf is he talking about when he says “people just want to have fun”? Seriously? If you want to have fun why are they going to buy a bike on the basis of supreme efficiency and saving 6 seconds off a two mile climb? People in search of fun can often be seen *pushing* bikes up climbs (which is fine) so who the hell cares about supreme efficiency?

4 – He also says “and “can only afford one bike”. Er.. if you can afford one of these things then you can certainly afford more than one normal bike!

Completely agree on these points Mol. I ride for fun and to unwind. Weight and speed rarely come in to it. I can afford one bike and that’s why I have a second hand Stache and not a carbon wonder machine.

simondbarnes

Genuine question: Do people really make bike purchasing decisions based on “Do I think it looks pretty?”

Every single time I buy a bike.

shifter
    Free Member

Like it. I shall be having one when they appear at Paul’s.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Like it. I shall be having one when they appear at Paul’s.

Cap doffed….

nickc

same as Simon, very nearly at the top of the list

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Not solely, no. I doubt anyone buys a bike they genuinely think is ugly though.

If the Marin really does ride that well, someone else will nick the good ideas and package it into something that isn’t totally hideous, that’s the point at which I’d be interested 😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Coming from someone who likes/has the PRST-1, I’d say ride it properly before condemning it.

That and seeing how it copes with a Peaks/North/South Downs winter. I really hope that collection area can cope with Sussex “lurkin” Flint.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the linkagedesign blogspot guy to publish the suspension kinematics – I suspect it will be like the Polygon version – the Pinkbike graph showed it really didn’t pedal miraculously better than everything else but marginally better and yet every journo will be raving about it due to a placebo effect.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why not book a test ride tom rather than rely on the bits of paper. Of course it will be similar to the polygon one a test ride will tell you more than speculation

LeeW

I do, I pick a range of bikes I like to the aesthetic of then I try and test ride as many of those I like. Try and pick the best from that bunch.

I have completely ignored bikes which have very positive reviews purely because I don’t like the aesthetic.

Hilda Ogden may ride like a dream, but there’s no way I’d go there.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It just seems over complicated. The telescopic bit is asking for trouble. It’ll be caked in crap in no time at all and so will fail.

I don’t think it’s ugly as such though.

Do moto gp bikes have such complex suspension? Or Paris Dakar bikes?

singlespeedstu

No. But they don’t have an engine sat on top of them that bobs up and down.

I didn’t buy my Geometron for it’s looks that’s for sure.

funkmasterp

Hilda Ogden may ride like a dream, but there’s no way I’d go there.

😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They tend to be linkage driven single pivots. With the pivot behind the drive sprocket an inch or two below the chain.

Because chain tension on a motorbike is approximately constant (an I4 engine with 360deg firing order at 10,000rpm is 333Hz, a cyclist is ~ 1.5Hz). So you open the throttle and the suspension compresses slightly because at the same time the rider will be throwing their weight over the front of the bike to stop it wheelieing.

A push bike you push down on the pedal and the last thing you want is the bike to squat down away from you, so you add linkages (or raise the single pivot and typically have it much more inline with the drive sprocket or infront). This means as you push down on the pedal the bike squats, which tries to lengthen the chain which the pedaling counteracts pushing the bike back up again.

The objective being that the push-bike is in the same shape at the start of the pedal stroke as at the end. A Motorbike only needs to deal with making the bike behave itself (grip, handling) as at the frequency it operates the suspension doesn’t move.

Unless you start looking at ‘big bang’ engines and V-twins/V-four, which are deliberately designed to bounce the rear tyre on the road giving you a burst of acceleration which breaks traction, but then a recovery which makes it more predictable and controllable. Which is why you won’t see an i4 engine in a Dakar style bike, it could have more power, but wouldn’t have grip.

andywoodall
    Free Member

Its certainly not the prettiest bike I’ve seen but I don’t think its anywhere near as horrific as some make out. I quite like it.

zippykona

In that Instagram video where he’s climbing the steps, is that good bike or good rider?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why not book a test ride tom rather than rely on the bits of paper. Of course it will be similar to the polygon one a test ride will tell you more than speculation

Because I don’t trust myself to be objective about something so hard to detect eg how much less energy is used during pedalling.

Basic physics can tell you that.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

Which is why you won’t see an i4 engine in a Dakar style bike, it could have more power, but wouldn’t have grip.

You’ve never actually ridden off road in any kind of a competetive way on a motorbike have you..
    Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.
    No one would ever consider trying to use an engine like that for anything even slightly tech offroad.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Zippykona – probably both. But of course a 30 Stone individual might not manage it!

pjt201
    Free Member

Well here’s a review – doesn’t seem to pull any punches but they reckon it’s a good thing. https://www.wideopenmountainbike.com/2017/05/marin-wolf-ridge-review-rich-thomas

kimbers

Leigh Johnson was racing the only one in the country at the national enduro champs last weekend

was in the lead but for some reason he retired after stage 4, mechanical puncture?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Marin Alchemist all over again?’ is closed to new replies.