Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Marilyn Manson
  • SaxonRider

I don’t normally care about interviews with stars, but I read this one with Marilyn Manson in the Guardian with interest.

I sort of liked Manson after ‘Bowling for Columbine’, and this reinforces his image as a genuinely interesting ‘pop’ artist.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I heard a rumour he’s going to do a co-project with Lily Allen.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Fruit bat ..
    I did like The Pale Emperor though ..

torsoinalake
    Free Member

He is massively overrated in my opinion. Famous only because of the ‘ooh, so edgy’ mascara and corsets, rather than the decidedly mediocre music.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

He’s just a poor updated version of Alice Cooper.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Didn’t he used to be Kevin’s best friend Paul in The Wonder Years? 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Famous only because of the ‘ooh, so edgy’ mascara and corsets, rather than the decidedly mediocre music.

Really? Because he was the first artist to dress like that and wear stage make-up? No, I think you are firing very wide of the mark if you think the only reason his music is enjoyed by many is the theatrics.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Much more entertaining. Especially at dinner…

Rocky!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Famous only because of the ‘ooh, so edgy’ mascara and corsets, rather than the decidedly mediocre music.

Yea, but he was this (or that, or the one before that, he’s been around a while!) generations “‘ooh, so edgy’ mascara and corsets” rock act. Given how long he’s been around it’s hardly surprising that plenty of people hate him.

Just like my grandparents disapproved of dad’s Led Zeppelin, he can’t stand Feeder, I can’t stand U2, and I’m not a massive fan of the current wave of shouty rock bands (Alexisonfire, Mallory Knox, Twin Atlantic etc). Everyone hates the stuff before and after their generation, and Marilyn Manson spans a lot of before/afters!

Happy memories of bouncing around the grungy nightclubs of my youth to Disposables and Mobscene 😈

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m 42 years old. I bought Portrait of an American Family and thought it was rubbish, goodness knows how bad it was before Trent Reznor got his hands on it. But Mr Manson had obviously figured out what gets him in the papers and sells records:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just trying this out after some “how to” advice…

Yay!

Manson’s disappointed dad, Frank….

xora

As one of the Beautiful People, at the time Antichrist Superstar told us it was ok to be weird or queer or any number of other things.

at nearly 42 years old I still love that abum!

slackalice
    Free Member

I was working at Leeds festival in 04, or could have been 05 I can’t quite remember, however it was the year the Foo Fighters were headlining. Anyway, Marilyn Manson was performing just before them. I do remember thinking beforehand that it was going to be something to endure – the catering unit I was working on was in the main area – rather than enjoy.

I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Stage presence that quite honestly was on a par with Freddie. The band were tighter than a duck’s arse and his show, for me was utterly mesmerising, standing, transfixed and completely absorbed by the whole performance. The Foo’s that year were great. Manson was way better.

The drugs were also very good, however, every act was being scrutinised by the same yardstick 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

He’s managed to crush himself with a stage prop now…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41458046

Northwind

Bring me your guns! God! And government! No wait about the guns, no, stop, pls, ow

slackalice – Member

I was working at Leeds festival in 04, or could have been 05 I can’t quite remember, however it was the year the Foo Fighters were headlining. Anyway, Marilyn Manson was performing just before them.

The drugs were very good apparently, it was Kings of Leon played before the Foos.

DezB
    Free Member

He’s managed to crush himself with a stage prop now…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41458046

How jolly appropriate – a really cool stage prop made out of guns. What a dick.

nickhit3
    Free Member

as an outspoken critic of gun violence and legislation, this is pure Spinal Tap. I happen to think hes a great artist, I’m not a huge fan of his output but he played a big part in continuing the bogey man rock star in the modern era. Owes a lot to Alice Cooper etc.

He comes across very well in the interviews I have seen.

Northwind

DezB – Member

How jolly appropriate – a really cool stage prop made out of guns. What a dick.

Eh, that’s pretty unfair- the props aren’t saying hurr hurr guns are cool, though that’s maybe not obvious if you don’t know his background and material (he was falsely tied to the Columbine massacre and has spent a lot of time since dealing with that, talking about gun culture and angry youth culture and the like.

“Do you love your guns?” Yeah
    “god?” Yeah
    “The government?”
    **** yeah

DezB
    Free Member

All that comes across well with 2 massive pistols falling on his head while he sings a Eurythmics cover.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Really liked Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals but not so fussed about his later albums.

The reaction of certain american groups was entertaining – that sort of stuff always becomes part of the legend (bit like Priest and the dudes who tried to kill themselves).

lovewookie

Whilst I never ‘liked’ mansons music, as a ‘peer’ classified goth (of course goths don’t identify themselves as goth, and if you do, you’re not a proper goth ;-)) I have been known to move through the crowds to some of his tracks. Being the only slightly dark music to be played in the rock clubs..despite it being the music of the babygoths/spookykids..

He came across well in interviews and had hot girlfriends.

I hear he’s not suffered too badly from the prop incident, which is nice.

andybrad

got my tickets for December 🙂

CountZero

Largely indifferent to his recorded output, I guess he’s good at what he does, but he holds no interest for me.

kimbers

Liked him from the off, portrait was brilliant back in the day, anyone reccommended by Reznor was good in my book, stil like those first 3 albums
    Much fun in the mosh pit

but yeah after mechnical Animals hes never had anything great, saw him live a couple of times, late 90s he was brilliant, amazing show and bucketload of charisma, about 5 years ago he just played his whiny new stuff and it was not so good.

Been an outspoken critic of guns, political & christian hypocrisy in america, whats not to like!

heal up Brian !

tazzymtb

interesting article, but I he doesn’t usually say anything in interviews particularity enlightening, the fact he talks in quite a slow measured style rather than like a hyped up toddler makes he him appear to be an intellectual to the Americans, He’s hardly Stephen Fry now is he 🙂

musically his stuff was/is fairly generic turgid dross for the spook kid generation. He was never edgy and all the faux/shock horror and corseted deviant outrage stuff had been around years before and with far more panache by folks like christian death or far more bloodily and honestly by loons like GG Allin.

still if standing in front of a mirror with a torch under your chin making scary faces in the dark is the height of being the antichrist, then yep he’s pure eeeeeevil*

*Ronnie James Dio styleeee

DezB
    Free Member

musically his stuff was/is fairly generic turgid dross for the spook kid generation

Too true. Listen to the Eurythmics cover on the video of him getting squished. It ain’t very good. “Ooh, grr! Sweet Dreams are made of this with growly voice and heavy riffs!”

Northwind

I remember seeing him at Ozzfest or the Big Day Out faking sticking his fingers up his arse, that sort of summed up the shockingness. But it was still a fantastic show. Kind of like Rob Zombie, you know if you stop and think about it, it’s totally ridiculous but you also know you’re having a good time, so why would you do that?

http://www.theonion.com/article/marilyn-manson-now-going-door-to-door-trying-to-sh-459

johndoh
    Free Member

It ain’t very good.

If it is the same video I saw, then I would agree it sounded rough, but have you ever heard fan-filmed stuff at a gig that *does* sound any good?

DezB
    Free Member

I anticipated such a response… But don’t have anything to reply with 😆

(For one thing, I won’t be giving any fan filmed concert shite any views, cos I really do hate people doing that at gigs) (Except when it allows you to see some big guns fall on someone))

johndoh
    Free Member

8)

tazzymtb

Kind of like Rob Zombie,

but rob zombie has his tongue firmly in his cheek and grew up in carney atmoshpre for over the top showmanship. he also happily says he loved bela lugosi and alice cooper. Its like hammer horror meets cary on screaming and is all the more jolly for it 😀

maccruiskeen

while he sings a Eurythmics cover.

Was it…

‘Regrets’?

“The First Cut’?

‘You Hurt Me’?

or

‘Baby’s Gone Blue’?

Northwind

tazzymtb – Member

but rob zombie has his tongue firmly in his cheek

I think Manson does too. He’s pretty pretentious too, mind, but I reckon he’s basically in on the joke.

martinhutch

Was it…

‘Regrets’?

“The First Cut’?

‘You Hurt Me’?

or

‘Baby’s Gone Blue’?

None of that is funnier than getting knocked unconscious while singing ‘Sweet Dreams’ 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Marilyn Manson’ is closed to new replies.