• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by holst.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Marginally better than 'The paperclip' bike….
  • matt_outandabout

… However, not by much.

scruff9252

Now that’s one convoluted way of designing a suspension seat post!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not convinced anything actually move…which might be for the best.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Reminds me of a Trek Y5, which was also shite.

DrP

I’m not convinced anything actually move…which might be for the best.

I wasn’t either.
    But then if you wipe your mind of the expected norm of “wheels moving up and down”, and look again, you’ll see the seat TUBE actually moves up and down.
    It’s a rigid bike. With a bouncy seat tube.
    Perfect.

Drp

mintimperial

Bloody hell. That’s quite something. 😯

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’m getting motion sickness just looking at it.

shermer75
    Free Member

What’s the ‘paperclip’ bike?

Onzadog
    Free Member

shermer75, NO! You take that back now.

holst
    Free Member

greyspoke
    Free Member

Just like a bike with a suspended seatpost, if there was a cunning hydraulic linkage between that and the bottom bracket which moves the bottom bracket down and up to keep the seatpost height constant and another cunning device to make the saddle move forwards and backwards at the same time.

It’s a bogey, I bet you could flick it round corners.

tomhoward

Isnt it more than a suspension seatpost? Looks like the bb is also part of the suspended bits, so would still ‘work’ if you were stood up?

ajantom

The whole bike would be rocking under you. Stood on the pedals, your feet would be oscillating back and forth. No rear suspension, just weird movement.

greyspoke
    Free Member

The rear hub-bb distance looks like it changes a bit more than it would on an Orange-type high pivot rear suspension setup (look at the silver link thing). Anyhow, your feet would tend to be the heavy static* thing in the setup, the rear wheel would move relative to them, with you perhaps feeling a bit of oscillating force through the pedals as the rear suspension moved.

You would notice rear suspension movement through the handlebars, but that would be similar to what you feel on a hardtail (with the hands, not the feet). Because that is what it is, a hardtail with a suspended chassis for the feet/bottom attached to it.

I am trying to work out how it would feel sat down. That upper silver link may have been calculated to keep the seatpost angle constant at the rear wheel travels (not what I thought in my earlier post).

It would be interesting to see how it actually rides. If you made it out of carbon, the unsprung weight effects wouldn’t be so great. I think the feeling through the handlebars might remain an issue though.

*relative to the overall forward movement of the bike-plus-rider

holst
    Free Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Marginally better than 'The paperclip' bike….’ is closed to new replies.