Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • margarine vs. butter – do you?
  • MisterT

do you take notice of all the “marge is plastic..” scare mongering?
    or do you adhere to the idea that butter is heart stopping cows render juice

which?

Is this a “Last Tango in Paris” sort of question?

seosamh77
    Free Member

olive oil spread

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Butter, because it is an actual real thing.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Margarine was originally invented to fatten up turkeys, its not really something I regard as a human food.

Brittany Butter with embedded salt Crystals – only way to roll.

MisterT

olive oil spread

– so is that natural pressed Olive Oil (yum) – or a hydrogenated emulsification of various liquids (oops)

nuke

😆

Margerine is actually grey. They have to put the yellow colouring in so people will buy it.

MisterT

Margarine was originally invented to fatten up turkeys,

– so you read that spam mail that went around too…. thing is i can’t find any actual references to this being fact. is it true, or a made up myth? – any quotable references for evidence?

sneakyg4
    Free Member

My auntie Shelagh told me.

z1ppy

Contrary to the claim, margarine was not invented as a turkey fattener. It was formulated in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III’s offering of a prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost substitute for butter. Mège Mouriès’ concoction, which he dubbed oleomargarine, was achieved by adding salty water, milk, and margaric acid to softened beef fat. By the turn of the century, the beef fat in the original recipe had been replaced by vegetable oils.
    Read more at http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp#G174bQX9Qcp7P8tC.99

PS: Web monkeys take note, the thread link was automatically added to any txt “copied” from that site (I would have linked).. Nice.

bearnecessities

You anchor?

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Happy to admit I was wrong, still not prepared to eat it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Margarine was originally invented to fatten up turkeys, its not really something I regard as a human food.

He he, I love it when people repeat this kind of crap.

Never fails to raise a smile :mrgreen:

PMK2060

Somewhatslightlydazed – margarine is white before they add the colourings. We tend to use margarine for convenience. Not convinced it is better for you than butter.

willyboy
    Free Member

My Nanna used to call margarine ‘Cart grease’…

globalti
    Free Member

I use butter because I don’t want to fill my body with nasty hydrogenated fats. Butter tastes better and is natural, all you have to do is remember to take it out of the fridge well before making your toast.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Butter for toast and marg for butties.

brooess
    Free Member

I eat butter but spread as thinly as I can.
    Marg is highly processed/manufactured and butter is (relatively) natural whilst containing nutrients from the milk.
    IMO just because something natural is reckoned to be bad for you doesn’t mean it’s more healthy to substitute it with an artificial alternative – better just to reduce your consumption of it. Same as sugar…

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’ve gone 100% proper butter – with a butter dish with a cow on it and everything

for no other reason than it tastes nicer

Now low fat spreads and maragarine are no longer considered good for you why not? Evan if butter turns out to be as bad for your health

lunge

Butter for me, don’t like the taste of marg and I am not sold on the health benefits either.

cheers_drive

The halfway house of Lurpack spreadable for me

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

Butter just tastes nicer to me.

olddog

Myth two busted – margarine doesn’t contain hydrogenated/trans fat any more – except the hard stuff used in making biscuits.

But if butter isn’t bad, why not if it tastes nicer – it’s just v calorie dense so as long as you’re not eating it with a spoon…

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t eat bread so have little use for either.

Clover

Butter with a spoon? Why did I not think of that?
    Nom nom nom

mrchrispy

I’d normally say butter but apparently there isn’t a number big enough to represent my cholesterol level so I’m going th have to review that preference 🙁

chambord
    Free Member

I prefer butter but if I have any in the house it’s gone in no time because it gets used for cooking everything

johndoh
    Free Member

Butter (spreadable here too because I get upset at hard stuff) and full fat milk too.

DezB
    Free Member

Margarine doesn’t contain anything anymore – you can’t get it!
    There is no such thing as margarine.

binners

wrecker – Member

I don’t eat bread so have little use for either.

You don’t eat bread ever? Really? Not even cheese on toast when you get back from the pub?

How come? Genuine question. Bread accounts for approximately half my diet. The other half is pastry based 😀

jools182
    Free Member

I’m trying to get used to butter even though I’ve always thought it tastes a bit sour

wrecker
    Free Member

You don’t eat bread ever? Really? Not even cheese on toast when you get back from the pub?

How come? Genuine question. Bread accounts for approximately half my diet. The other half is pastry based
    It really doesn’t agree with me. The bloating and gas…I won’t go on….. I wouldn’t say never ever ever, perhaps a roll or two at a barbie but other than that; no. No sandwiches, no toast. Our bread bin is empty and has been for a long time. I do miss it. Salads get boring surprisingly quickly.

binners

I don’t envy you fella. D you know what it is about it that disagrees with you? Is it a wheat intolerance?

captain-slow
    Free Member

Butter for me, don’t like the taste of marg and I am not sold on the health benefits either.

This…

wrecker
    Free Member

No idea. I don’t eat a lot of carbs, I have potatoes on the nights I’ve been to the gym and oats (added to protein shake) for breakfast which I’m OK with. I’m certainly in better shape since I changed my eating habits.

rondo101
    Free Member

Butter ftw. Kerrygold for the added Vit A, D & K boost that comes with grass-fed cow-produce. I don’t really eat bread either (processed wheat makes me feel lethargic), but still find plenty of uses for butter.

What are you cooking your steaks in if not butter? Adding to cooked veg?

wrecker
    Free Member

Olive oil. Is this wrong?

wallop

Butter is so good for you – it is packed with fat soluble vitamins and it nourishes you like plastic cannot.

There is no evidence to prove saturated fat causes heart disease.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/03March/Pages/Saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven.aspx

kcal

Olive oil. Is this wrong?

on butteries, yes.

Prefer butter (unsalted) myself.

Ages ago, after their polar expedition, I went to a medical themed lecture by Dr. Michael Stroud (half of the Fiennes exped.) They researched the calorie intake they needed and the calorie output they’d have (around 7,000 cal / day IIRC) and came to the conclusion that butter was the most efficient vehicle to intake and then absorb that amount of calories for storage. So they were ingesting god knows how many packs of butter a day for weeks to build up a stock of calories… yum.

and is it majarine or maGarine?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘margarine vs. butter – do you?’ is closed to new replies.