• This topic has 84 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Margarine, and other curiosities
  • CheesybeanZ

So is margarine still a ‘thing’, or has it been consigned to a small minority section in the supermarket?

Ask your skivvy to take a picture of the butter / spread aisle next time their there , probably twice as many spreads .

jonnyboi

Butter is nicer obvs, but less user friendly. Difficult and rather white knuckle-esque to pin down the correct amount of seconds to blitz it in the microwave to ensure spreadability.

Your butter storage ability is weak

maccruiskeen

So is margarine still a ‘thing’, or has it been consigned to a small minority section in the supermarket?
    Ask your skivvy to take a picture of the butter / spread aisle next time their there , probably twice as many spreads .

But ‘spread’ and ‘margarine’ aren’t the same thing. Margerine has a pretty strict definition and the stuff we buy as ‘spread’ doesn’t match it. When your skivvy takes the picture there will be one or two packs of margarine down in the bottom left hand corner. People still buy it, but not to spread on their toast.

sssimon
    Free Member

[video]https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwi0n8Cu1YjXAhVJlxoKHeOjB-MQwqsBCCswAQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov[/video]

GrahamS

People still buy it, but not to spread on their toast.

Stork seem to heavily push the baking side of things:

http://www.bakewithstork.com

tomhoward

When your skivvy takes the picture there will be one or two no packs of margarine down in the bottom left hand corner

ftfy, as I said, no one markets their product as Margarine anymore.

trickydisco
    Free Member

These traumatic events are the sole reason I usually reach for the olive spread.

I have one of these

it’s never happened to me since

molgrips
    Free Member

And while we’re at it, what other things are out there that you possibly assumed had been consigned to history because they fell off your radar, but that you discovered are still in circulation?

You can still get salted fish, dried peas, tinned carrots, all sorts of things in the ‘grocery’ aisle.

These traumatic events are the sole reason I usually reach for the olive spread.

Why the hell are you keeping butter in the fridge? Ours stays out, except for the couple of hot weeks we get a year. It does not go off.

kayak23

Why the hell are you keeping butter in the fridge? Ours stays out, except for the couple of hot weeks we get a year. It does not go off.

I’m not, it’s in a dish on the side, but the kitchen is a little chilly in the morning.
    Besides, unless you heat your house to about the level of Death Valley, I find that the butter is rarely compliant enough to yield to a fresh slice of soft bread, as delicate in its application as I am.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our kitchen is usually about 18 or so.

There’s a technique to spreading cold butter though.

himupstairs

That’s also a sorry excuse for a piece of bread up there. Proper bread with proper texture takes butter much more easily.

darrell
    Free Member

use a cheese slicer to make really thin slices of butter

for example

seosamh77
    Free Member

myti – Member
    Those using spread because you can’t spread butter from the fridge. Seriously guys get a butter dish and don’t keep your butter in the fridge. Spreads like a dream

But it’s warm then, and even more bowfin(I genuinely dislikle the taste of butter, it’s too, erm… buttery! 😆 ). How do you get the cool refreshing taste of half a tonne of chilled spread on your piece and banana?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Why would you want thin slices of butter?

perchypanther
    Free Member

half a tonne of chilled spread on your piece and banana?

Boak.

Fruit has no place on a sandwich.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You haven’t lived my friend!

I’d a piece and roast chicken, complete with veg last night, it was surprisingly amazing! I think you can pretty much put anything on a piece to be honest, another delight I remember is a piece and spaghetti bolognese, sublime that was! I think it was the double carbs of bread and pasta that did it!

Yes, I too wonder why i’m a fat *…! 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

You haven’t lived my friend!

Oh but I have. I’ve lived long enough to have been fed a banana piece when I was wee.

It’s not for me.

Pie, beans and broon sauce in a plain bread ootsider on the other hand….

seosamh77
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    Oh but I have. I’ve lived long enough to have been fed a banana piece when I was wee.

Sounds like warm butter may have been the issue here!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds like warm butter may have been the issue here!

Nope it was the manky banana / bread combo.

The thick coating of Blue Band margarine didn’t improve it any.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I guess there’s no accounting for taste! 😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

mmm… butter

Buttered steak. Buttered cake.

BUTTER
    mmm Last Tango in Paris butter

sbob
    Free Member

piece

That’s two of you now, I guess this must be the STW word of the week?
    You know, the one that everyone starts using as if they always had in a desperate attempt to maintain herd mentality.

See “dog whistle racism” or “virtue signalling” for similar results. 😉

Anyway, I’m off to easily spread some room temperature butter on some fresh white bread before inserting the bacons, with nought else.
    We call this a “sandwich”. 😯

GrahamS

We call this a “sandwich”.

Unless you are Scottish, in which case you call it a “piece”.

seosamh77
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    piece
    That’s two of you now, I guess this must be the STW word of the week?
    You know, the one that everyone starts using as if they always had in a desperate attempt to maintain herd mentality.

Or it’s just the word we’ve always used.

sbob
    Free Member

Just never before on this forum… 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t be daft – cows make milk, not butter!

When did you last see a calf eating a sandwich?

Sandwiches are made from bread, silly.

So margarine is unhealthy because it no longer contains stuff we found out was unhealthy?

Aren’t most of these spreads essentially butter or buttermilk, plus oil (olive,vegetable,palm) and some kind of thickener?

You’re describing things that aren’t margarine. But that wasn’t my point, which is that for decades, the food industry promoted the consumption, on health grounds, of a cheap, mass produced product that turned out to be less healthy than its traditional alternative. Having been forced to move on with spreads, the same industry continues to load other processed foods with the same crap.

seosamh77
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    Just never before on this forum…

I’ll accept that groveling apology anytime you are ready! 😆

seosamh77 – Member
    ham, lettuce, cucumber and beetroot is my filling of choice for my pieces!

POSTED 1 YEAR AGO #

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/corned-beef-and-beetroot-sandwiches#post-7575611

perchypanther
    Free Member

Anyway, I’m off to easily spread some room temperature butter on some fresh white bread before inserting the bacons, with nought else.
    We call this a “sandwich”.

You call it a sandwich.

WE call it a piece an’ ham.

sbob
    Free Member

I apologise seosamh77, it appears that you did use the term once before.
    Unfortunate that you had to use a thread started by the other member I referred to though, and in that very thread he uses the term “sandwich” instead. 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    Just never before on this forum…

Just for funsies….. There’s pictures and everything. 😉

perchypanther – Member

Now that looks like bread that is made specifically to contain chips,

Nah, it was produced in conjunction with the makers of square lorne sausage in order to produce the perfect breakfast of champions…… “A piece an’ square sausage”*

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sandwiches-and-toast-triangles-or-rectangles

sbob
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

You call it a sandwich.

In the thread linked you call it a sandwich in the thread title and twice in the post. 🙂

He’s a closet Englangder! Get him! 😈

seosamh77
    Free Member

This is the worst grovelling apology I’ve ever seen! 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

In the thread linked you call it a sandwich in the thread title and twice in the post

Bilingual

I was translating for the foreigners

sbob
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

This is the worst grovelling apology I’ve ever seen!

That’s because I’m not grovelling and didn’t mean it anyway. 😆

Any other forum I’d simply add the word “almost” to my earlier post and be done with it. 😛

seosamh77
    Free Member

praise be to shady forum software! 😀

sbob
    Free Member

Hat’s off for actually taking the time to trawl back through the forum though, especially considering how poor the search function is.
    Hope I didn’t hit a nerve. 🙂

ETA: next sandwich will be butler’s steak and whatever blue cheese my man has in.
    With butter.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Apropos of nothing, I once witnessed a Scouse joiner running into a site cabin on a Glasgow building site ( the Royal Mail sorting office at St Rollox) in a panic because he thought there was about to be a gunfight in the site canteen.

He’d overheard a heated argument between two Glaswegian brickies which ended when one stormed off in the huff, declaring that he was going out to his van “to get his piece”

seosamh77
    Free Member
    sbob
    Free Member

Just seems my googling skills and memory are better than yours!

You’ve linked to the same thread as before… 😳

If you change your search terms to “piece” and “sandwich” you can see how infrequently the term has been used over the years. 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Out of interest, is it possible to fling them out of a 20 storey flat?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Margarine, and other curiosities’ is closed to new replies.