• This topic has 84 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Margarine, and other curiosities
  • SaxonRider

I heard the word ‘margarine’ this morning, and realised that, while I grew up with it, I haven’t thought about it for more than 20 years. Once we realised that butter was better and (probably) healthier than margarine, we never bought it again. Consequently, I guess I egocentrically assumed that everyone had done the same thing, and that no one used it anymore – even that it hardly existed anymore.

So is margarine still a ‘thing’, or has it been consigned to a small minority section in the supermarket?

And while we’re at it, what other things are out there that you possibly assumed had been consigned to history because they fell off your radar, but that you discovered are still in circulation?

Jamie
    Free Member

Slow morning?

*store brand Bertolli over here*

northernmatt

White dogshit obvs

tomhoward

Iirc, all the brands remarketed as ‘low fat spread’ or some other such, as margarine was deemed unhealthy or summink, to the point where you can’t actually buy ‘Margarine’ anymore.

ton

some synthetic spreads don’t taste too bad. the olive oil based ones are not too bad.

stork sb was one chemical configuration away from being gloss paint….FACT

GrahamS

all the brands remarketed as ‘low fat spread’ or some other such,

https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/milk-butter-eggs/butter-spreads/_/111652

Seems like it.

“Margarine” became a bad word for some stupid reason – probably all the ridiculous myths about it being “one molecule away from plastic” and being originally designed to use stocks up recycled oil to feed turkeys etc.

slowoldman

White dogshit obvs

On white or brown toast?

mogrim

Spreads easier, tastes alright. And butter just turns into a puddle here in the summer.

ransos
    Free Member

“Margarine” became a bad word for some stupid reason

It’s emblematic of the food industry’s desire to force processed crap down our throats, which is why they’ve worked so hard to market it as something else.

PMK2060

Do people still drink water? I no longer drink the stuff since i found out it is only one molecule away from Hydrogen Peroxide.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

PMK2060 – Member
    Do people still drink water? I no longer drink the stuff since i found out it is only one molecule away from Hydrogen Peroxide.

It’s also the most toxic substance known to mankind. Everything which drinks it dies. Stats fact!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Don’t know why anyone would choose margarine over butter for anything. tastes like sh*t and is worse for you

GrahamS

It’s emblematic of the food industry’s desire to force processed crap down our throats

Because butter comes like that naturally, straight from the tree. 😆

worse for you

Evidence?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I don’t like the taste of butter, Lurpak is particularly minging, plus trying to spread it right out the fridge is ridiculous. Flora light or Olive oil spread for me.

fooman

It’s very hard to buy margarine in the UK anyway, what most people refer to as margarine are actually labelled as spreads or suchlike. Margarine has to be 75%+ vegetable fat & white. Stork still make it though supermarket Stork is not margarine. This was covered on QI a few years ago.

ransos
    Free Member

Because butter comes like that naturally, straight from the tree.

I’m pretty sure it comes from cows, not trees.

Evidence?

There’s quite a bit. The food industry spent decades pushing margarine and other products on the basis that traditional foods such as butter and eggs were unhealthy due to their saturated fat content. There is no strong evidence that consumption of saturated fat is linked with heart disease.

We now know that processed oils used in margarine and other manufactured foods are a source of trans fats, which has no health benefit and that trans fats are linked with heart disease. Manufacturers were forced to remove trans fats from many margarines, but continue to use them in other products.

GrahamS

I’m pretty sure it comes from cows, not trees.

Don’t be daft – cows make milk, not butter!

When did you last see a calf eating a sandwich? 😆

Manufacturers were forced to remove trans fats from many margarines

So margarine is unhealthy because it no longer contains stuff we found out was unhealthy?

Aren’t most of these spreads essentially butter or buttermilk, plus oil (olive,vegetable,palm) and some kind of thickener?

Drac

I heard the word ‘margarine’ this morning, and realised that, while I grew up with it, I haven’t thought about it for more than 20 years.

It’s not something I sit and ponder over but I probably have just like others.

😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ditching-the-woodburner-alternatives?view=all#post-8383195

brakes
    Free Member

a relation of mine was a scientist who used to make margarine, she wouldn’t touch the stuff and vehemently suggests we shouldn’t either.

wallop

There is no strong evidence that consumption of saturated fat is linked with heart disease.

Amen to that. It amazes me how many people go on about butter ‘clogging their arteries’ – upsets me, almost. Butter is food of the gods – it’s so good for you! (And makes everything taste frigging amazing).

spooky_b329

Unilever sold their margarine brands earlier this year (including Flora and Stork) which is a sign things are changing.

The marg section used to take up one side of an aisle in the supermarket with a lowly shelf at the end containing butter and lard. I reckon its now 50:50 and a third of an aisle, with the rest of it turned over to yogurts and higher margin stuff.

ratherbeintobago

Butter is food of the gods – it’s so good for you! (And makes everything taste frigging amazing).

You are James Martin and I claim my £5.

teasel
    Free Member

‘s true, tho…

Edit : Not that she’s James Martin, obviously.

ratherbeintobago

‘s true, tho…

Edit : Not that she’s James Martin, obviously.

He puts a whole block of butter in everything

taxi25
    Free Member

a relation of mine was a scientist who used to make margarine, she wouldn’t touch the stuff and vehemently suggests we shouldn’t either.

Then what was he doing making it then ?? Just happy to take the money I suppose. Great scientist 🙄
    Flora’s my poison of choice, tastes ok to me and can be spread from the fridge, I’ve never managed to do that even with the so called spreadable butters.

teasel
    Free Member

He puts a whole block of butter in everything

And…?

Though being serious, he’s a bad advert for butter consumption. Or rather just consumption in general…

ahwiles
    Free Member

You know the taste of gone-off milk? That you get when you risk it with a cup of tea?

That’s what butter tastes/smells of, to me.

Awful stuff.

jambourgie
    Free Member

mmm… butter

Buttered steak. Buttered cake.

BUTTER

wallop

*drool*

oldnpastit

Trans fats – which are found in margarine – are pretty nasty.

Checkout the Wikipedia article on the health risks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

– Cancer
    – Alzheimer’s
    – Infertility
    – Diabetes
    – Liver dysfunction
    – Depression

And more.

I think the people running the margarine industry must be deeply grateful that no-one has taken the trouble to sue them over this.

myti
    Free Member

Those using spread because you can’t spread butter from the fridge. Seriously guys get a butter dish and don’t keep your butter in the fridge. Spreads like a dream (advice suited to UK residents) if you’re in Australia you don’t need butter to be happy you have sunshine.

CountZero

Butter is food of the gods – it’s so good for you! (And makes everything taste frigging amazing).

For the first time in many years, yesterday I had toasted crumpets with lots of butter on.
    Mmmmmmmm. Forgotten just how good they tasted.

ahwiles – Member
    You know the taste of gone-off milk? That you get when you risk it with a cup of tea?

That’s what butter tastes/smells of, to me.

Awful stuff.
    Drama queen, much? 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

Then what was he doing making it then ?? Just happy to take the money I suppose. Great scientist

maybe she developed it or something without initially knowing how bad it was. or maybe she stumbled upon it when trying to make weapons of mass destruction.

GrahamS

Trans fats – which are found in margarine – are pretty nasty.

Except as ransos pointed out earlier, they stopped using hydrogenated fat and eliminated most of the trans fats from margarine quite some time ago.

Plus most of the “spreads” these days that people call margarine are actually butter or buttermilk plus oil.

(I love butter by the way. Just interested if the margarine hatred is actually justified)

sbob
    Free Member

I love butter by the way. Just interested if the margarine hatred is actually justified

Eat it.
    It’s justified.

CraigW
    Free Member

Milk, meat and butter also contain trans fats.

somafunk

Butter from grass fed cows (kerrygold) and ghee for high temp frying and my Indian meals, margarine is the work of the devil.

maccruiskeen

Don’t know why anyone would choose margarine over butter for anything. tastes like sh*t and is worse for you

Taste wise ‘margerine’ is a poor substitute for butter if what you want is the taste of butter. As someone who had to give up dairy its surprising though how quickly you’re tastes change and things that used to be a treat – butter, cream etc – actually become pretty dislikable. After about 2-3 weeks of giving up butter was something I didn’t care about, after a year or so it was something that ruined anything it touched.

We used the term ‘margarine’ genertically to describe spread that isn’t butter but I think very few spreads are actually margarine. I think Stork is the only marg you’ll still see on the shelves and for some baking and cooking applications you’d use that in favour or a butter or ‘spread’

kayak23

These traumatic events are the sole reason I usually reach for the olive spread.

Butter is nicer obvs, but less user friendly. Difficult and rather white knuckle-esque to pin down the correct amount of seconds to blitz it in the microwave to ensure spreadability.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Margarine, and other curiosities’ is closed to new replies.