Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Marathon Water Theft
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

“5s in to the video there is a guy in a Buxton t-shirt stood idly watching as bottles of water get ‘stolen’. Makes you think doesn’t it.”

Not really. The companies giving out the water don’t want the expense of taking unused bottles away again, and having to store them somewhere, as that costs a lot more than just giving it away. I’ve seen bottled water given away at the marathon several times; this year was cold and humid, so far less water was taken by runners than in other years. Hence the surplus. The scramble of people getting it is rather unedifying, but it says more about our consumer society in general, than it does about those individuals.

Drac

As John McGregor, of South Eastern Water, explains: ‘You can’t make new water.
    ‘You can basically say the water we drink today is the same water that the dinosaurs drank.
    ‘So forget seven people – it’s been through billions

No shit!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No shit!

I expect that’s what the 3 hour treatment process takes care of.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I imagine the volunteers running the stall had left as they will have a cut-off time. You’d imagine they have excess water ordered and today was cold so probably even less drunk than normal. I can’t imagine they’d go round collecting keft over water so its got to go to a new home one way or another.

Water Canon are very effectively used in other cities, I even seen the Paris police firing water canin at the striking fore brigade who where buring pallets in the street. All very surreal.

v8ninety

You can’t make new water

Erm, I’m no chemist, but I’m fairly sure you can, with just two ingredients… Has a fairly useful by product too.

allthepies
    Free Member

Hugh Brasher, Event Director for London Marathon Events Ltd, said: “It’s very disappointing to see water being stolen in this way from the official water stations for our runners.

“These water stations are staffed by volunteers and we are very grateful to them for their work on Race Day.

“We always brief our volunteers not to get into altercations if this kind of thing happens. We’ll investigate this further.”

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Hmm. Well what do you know. They were opportunistic thieving ne’er-do-wells.

Who saw that coming?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Erm, I’m no chemist, but I’m fairly sure you can, with just two ingredients… Has a fairly useful by product too.

I presume you’re referring to hydrogen? Not much of that knocking around (its lighter than air so if there was any then it would leave the atmosphere).

You could argue that burning any hydrocarbon produces water, but that’s also false because that hydrogen got there via photosynthesis from water in the past so is just on a very slow path through the water cycle too.

So yea, in a roundabout way unless you can find some leftover hydrogen from the big bang, new water will be difficult to come by 😉

freeagent
    Free Member

Deptford – ‘nuf said.

Sh*thole part of London, very close to where I was brought up.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

If you get people to take all the spare water away, saves the organisers having to arrange to get it taken away 🙂

DrJ

Typical London behaviour – “here is a resource that has been made available to people who may be in serious need of something to keep them safe and healthy during an athletic event which will benefit charity. Shall I ensure that they have ready access to it? Or shall I ‘alf inch it in the hope of making a few bob without giving a flying duck about anybody else on the planet?” No contest, when you’re within the sound of Bow Bells. Or inside the M25.

chakaping
    Free Member

So you get all outraged at this, and yet Only Fools And Horses continues to be the nation’s best-loved comedy.

You can’t have it both ways.

DrJ

So you get all outraged at this, and yet Only Fools And Horses continues to be the nation’s best-loved comedy.

And the Tories keep getting elected.

kimbers

People stealing stuff that isn’t nailed down shocker !

I’ve handed out water at the Moonwalk (night time marathon walk run by women in bras) outside the Breakthrough Breastcancer labs in Kensington and there were plenty of usually drunk people trying to pinch the water bottles

As for saying it’s something that would only happen in London….

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/thieves-steal-bikes-disabled-riders-5824391

woffle
    Free Member

We had a burst mains that meant no water for approx 24 hours. The water company shipped in crates and crates of 2l bottles of still water.

They then had to pay a someone to sit and watch it, 24/7. Some of it’s opportunistic – OAP’s turning up with wheelbarrows to ‘stock up’ but the water board chap said a lot of theft is more organised – with it ending up resold to shops or restaurants in bulk rather than per bottle. He said they have found it’s the same culprits and thought they were monitoring social media to try and see when ‘free’ water would be handed out.

Go figure. As said ^^ – people grabbing ‘free’ stuff shocker!

Drac

So you get all outraged at this, and yet Only Fools And Horses continues to be the nation’s best-loved comedy

Have you heard about Joe Cocker?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Only Fools And Horses continues to be the nation’s best-loved comedy.

Is this a Peckham Spring reference?

theotherjonv

Is this a Peckham Spring reference?

I read it more as a sitcom celebrating the comedy antics of a couple of lovable rogues selling stolen and knocked off items to earn a living in the East end of London. Bless ’em.

This lot are clearly just modern day Del and Rodneys, and should be celebrated as such. Thankfully, they’re already on TV as we speak so we can soon hope to enjoy the rest of the story of their hilarious criminal capers.

v8ninety

So yea, in a roundabout way unless you can find some leftover hydrogen from the big bang, new water will be difficult to come by

I’m of the opinion that if you’ve split water into its component atoms, it’s no longer water, and then when you stick them back together the water that is produced is about as new as you can get… But to be fair, we are all made of star dust

spekkie
    Free Member

I think the video speaks for itself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you heard about Joe Cocker?

You what?

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Marathon Water Theft’ is closed to new replies.