Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Marathon training (again)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for my 2nd and (hopefully) 3rd marathons, Paris (15 April) and Edinburgh (21 May). I want to do a good time at Edinburgh. I’ve not done much training so far at all but can do 6-10 miles without feeling it the next day.

Last year I followed the First schedule (3 runs a week – tempo, intervals, distance). Thing is I got tight muscles quite quickly and missed > 1/2 of the programme, still managed 3:36 tho.

Given how easily I got injured/tight last time I don’t want to even try the full first schedule, am thinking of 2 out of the 3 runs each week, …

…sensible…any better ideas?

blades2000
    Free Member

Do you do any stretching post run or do you like I used to do finish run and go straight to the shower/couch?

Once I started a stretching routine post run/on off days I found I got a lot less stiff. I’m doing the P90X stretch routine which is good if you can put up with the accent.

Nick

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was OK with teh stretching, I got a foam roller but need to use it more, so yes that could be a factor, I just wanna avoid injuries that pout me out so much last year.

hammerite
    Free Member

For me any speed/interval work leads to increased tightness, so maybe worth avoiding that until you have reached your peak mileage.

I’d also recommend a sports massage at least once a month, or as soon as you start feeling excessively tight.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Stretch loads (not just after the run but throughout the day – especially areas that are prone to tightness), use the foam roller (and yes, it should hurt *that* much) and make sure your trainers are still ok (ie cushioning can go quicker than the tread of the shoe). If its recurring injuries/in the same place, worth doing specific exercises strengthen calves BUT if you do this, up your stretches otherwise you’ll end up with tighter muscles. Get a good sports massage.

Above all, up mileage/time running *slowly* as upping it too quickly = injury. It takes time for muscles/joints to adapt to running.

Vary the terrain you run on – proper xc running is much kinder on my shins/calves than tarmac.

You could also consider getting the head to toe analysis that my physio did for me – very good at spotting areas of tightness/potential weaker muscles before you get injured.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Why are you getting tight muscles? Suggests that something biomechanical might be stopping you from running freely. Running sensibly shouldn’t hurt.

Rollers are often used to treat symptoms, not causes.

soobalias
    Free Member

i think the three runs a week will be fine, sounds like you need to back off a bit in all three areas to begin with tho. slower tempo, easier intervals, shorter distance

that might not allow you the time to ramp up gradually to achieve the time you want when you want it.

[/unhelpfulpost]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Marathon training (again)’ is closed to new replies.