Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Marathon training advice
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My mara training was going fine, had spent a couple of months getting easy miles in, was 2 weeks into my schedule, then had 6 weeks off with a chest infection. Schedule was 3 runs a week: 1 easy/long, 1 tempo, 1 intervals.

So I’ve got 8 weeks left, Am thinking longish-easy only runs for the first 2 weeks, then 5 weeks of 1 x longer run (building up to 20 miles), 1 x tempo or intervals and a third if I’m up to it.

Does this sound reasonable? I know I can’t get a great time now, but I’d like to do my best while avoiding injury and also get the fitness up for a marathon and maybe tri later in the year.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Whats your long run distance at the moment?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was up to 12 miles easily at the pace the schedule dictated (which was derived from my 10K time)

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I was 8 weeks away from the race when I spannered myself up at Dalby. Was out for 5 weeks. managed to cram a few runs into the last 3 weeks, and like you say, concentrated on long steady runs having abandoned all hope of a decent time. Longest training run before the race was 16 miles. Accepted that I’d be lucky to hit 4:30 with a fair bit of walking. Actually managed 4:07 and ran the whole way. Beware though, I know your’s was an infection, not an injury, but I did the race dosed on painkillers and consequently, I’m still suffering over a year later!

theteaboy
    Free Member

If it was me I’d probably try to make up for what I’d missed, do way too much and get injured and aggravate the chest infection.

Try not to do this.

Your approach sounds very sensible – try to keep the heart rate relatively low until you’re back into it and fully clear of the illness and then do a few weeks of sharpening to add to the base you’re trying to build.

Reassess your targets too – you need to decide how to pace the race and train accordingly. Your old 10k time is probably not relevant any more.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

just be careful not to increase your long run by much to begin with – i increased my long run by 2k and that was too much for my legs to cope with – I was like bambi at the end 🙂 It took my legs longer to recover and sometimes impacted on the next scheduled run which isn’t what you want with 8 weeks to go.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Im not an expert, BUT… I would prob not do any speed work at this stage, Do long and steady as you have planned, with gentle shorter stuff inbetween. Maybe the odd marathon pace run [which will feel hard enough even over the reduced distance].
    Is it Edinburgh youre doing? Its all downhill if it is!! 😀
    Best of luck.

willyboy
    Free Member

Sounds fine -i’m running Paris marathon next sunday. I’ve been running 2 or 3 times a week (with an occasional bike ride thrown in and a yoga class per week). The yoga has been really good so far. My longest run to date is 19 miles.

I’m not too bothered about a time, just finishing. I had 4 weeks off with a bad back and man flu in December/ early Jan and this was quite frustrating. Good look.

I’m doing the marathon with my partner in memory of our friend who died due to Carbon monoxide poisoning – Katie – if anyone reads this please make sure you have a CO monitor and get your bolier tested every year.

meesterbond

I’m training for London at the moment, 2 1/2 weeks to go and I’m out with a fluy, coldy bug which is really frustrating.

The plan looks good, couple of thoughts though…
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the speedwork or doing the LSR at a ‘pace’, let your body tell you how fast you can take it and just get the miles up without killing yourself
    I’d probably look at a longer taper (2-3 weeks perhaps?)

Good luck!

phil.w
    Free Member

You can simulate longer runs using AT/LSD* combos, this way you can train for longer distance fatigue without having to run as far, so lowering the injury risk.

For marathon training, in a 20k’ish run, do a AT segment at the beginning, middle and/or end.

For example 8km easy, 5km AT pace, 8km easy 5km AT pace.

*AT = Acidosis Threshold
    LSD = Long, Slow Distance

toab
    Free Member

I found little and often was better – 3 or 4 short runs (4-7 miles), 1 middling (8-12) and 1 long (12-20) every week with one or two rest days.

I started out trying to do it one 2 or 3 runs a week and found running every day (or almost every day) much esaier

cp

for the first week i wouldn’t do anything very long – just go out for a couple of 5 milers and get the legs back in the groove. recovery from the longer/harder sessions you do in subsequent weeks will come much quicker than if you just go long & steady straight away.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all, v. helpful.

phil.w WTF is AT? Lactate threshold? (OK I’ll google it now!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

*is none the wiser after googling*

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Seeing as you’re not going to be setting any records, just go out and go for a run whenever you feel like it or have the time. But do not under any circumstances have any step changes in training loads or you will break yourself.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I think you need to go ‘BLONDE’ & then you’ll be fine 😉

PS Where’s the pics of the new hair do then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

happening next weekend, will post up if you contribute.

crispybacon
    Free Member

will post up if you contribute.

Lol – my £11 took you over your £500 hair do target figure.

Looking forward to the pics & I’m sure you’ll be fine on the day.

I’m in training for the Plymouth half marathon at present which I’m doing to raise sponsorship for Team Bullheart. I did another 5 mile training run tonight so I can sympathise with the mileage & effort you are putting in.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Marathon training advice’ is closed to new replies.