Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Marathon Training – 3 months to go
  • crispo
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know there are quiet a few runners on here (from the running thread) but looking for a bit of advice about running my first marathon.

I’ve just realised its 3 months to go now (race is last weekend in October) so I tihnk I really need to start putting the miles in now. JUst to let you know where I am fitness wise already, I am 25 and fairly fit, mountain bike and the gym being my usual main exercise but back in March I ran a half Marathon with a friend who was training for the London Marathon, I didnt really train for it but managed it in 2:15 which made me think I could do a full one with a bit of practice. Currently putting in a 10km a week, another 6km a week then another bike ride and gym session.

I know I need to start focussing more on running but looking for advice with what I shouyld be trying to do in terms of running through the week and the longer runs at the weekend to build up to the race.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

jota180
    Free Member

There’s loads of 12 week schedules out there, maybe worth seeing if one fits your available time and current fitness/goal?

eg – http://www.run247.com/articles/article-1003-run247-12-week-marathon-training-schedule.html

turboferret

I’ve got my first marathon in just under 4 weeks time.

My general plan has been:

Tuesday – 10k
    Thursday – alternate weeks 800’s on track or hills
    Sunday – long steady run

On top of that I’m also tri training, so cycle 6 days a week and swim 6 days a week too, the balance is a bit tricky!

There is a training plan for the marathon I’m doing which you may find useful here, although I’m sure there are dozens of potentially better ones on the web too.

Cheers, Rich

matt_bl
    Free Member

I used a schedule based on the FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) programme. You only run three times a week, with long runs, tempo runs and intervals based on your projected time.

Really good, I have never been in as good shape. I will be using it for the VLM this year.

Matt

stever
    Free Member

Marathon is a long long way further than 10k and three months will sneak up on you fast. If you do one thing get a progressively longer run in once a week, ideally building up to 4 or 5 up to and above 20 miles. You might struggle to do this in the time. Marathon is more than twice the distance of the half 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

3 months is plenty of time, unless your expecting to break any records which it doesn’t sound like you are.

You’ll definitely need to start ramping it up, but! steadily! as others have said. runnersworld have plenty of programs.

I went from 10k to my first marathon in 3 months (3:48). I’d only started doing any running a couple of months before that 10k so you’ll be fine, enjoy it! be careful of injury and don’t beat your self up for missing the odd session (just not too many)

my first marathon is one of the best things I’ve ever done personally changed lots for me a taught me a lot about myself in training and the event itself

Enjoy it!

richardk
    Free Member

I’d be looking to get a few more runs in per week if time allows – even easy pace recovery runs all add up to a good total per week.

I’d also start bringing up your long run to the 20 mile mark. Maximum of 10% increase in distance per week. No need to run a marathon before the actual race – it wil take you too long to recover – but I would try to get at least 1 run in at 20 miles.

Do as much of your training in the kit you will do the marathon in as well, and figure out how you will be getting fuel/drink on board (are you carrying a bottle, using a camelbak, gels or jelly babies?

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Think the plan generally will be to try and get runs in 2-3 times during the week and then gradually keep building up the longer ones at the weekend.

Have had a look at the training plans but I struggle to commit to one of them as often my training has to fit around work and social commitments.

Currently my longest run in this stretch of training has been 12km and im running a 10k in about 50 mins. Going to try anf go for about 10 miles this weekend and see how I get on. Not really sure about what to take with me re. food and drink when running, dont really like carrying more than an ipod and headphones. What do most people do?

stever
    Free Member

Small bumbag with a few bits of food, shell, small flexible bottle for runs over about a couple of hours. You might also take some money and run past a shop/tap/caff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Marathon Training – 3 months to go’ is closed to new replies.