Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Marathon season's here, how's the training, how'd the race go, what's next?
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Yes, I know that there’s marathons all year, but it’s the peak time of the year now, innit.

So, anyone ran one recently, or got one coming up?

I’m running the Edinburgh Marathon in May. First marathon, and 3rd race since a long break from running which was sorted with some surgery, oh and I went a bit diabetic too.

My training’s been OK, plenty of long runs but I’ve neglected my speedwork, so I’m sloooooww. Don’t really have a predicted time in mind (well, I’ve got a good idea how long it’ll probably take) but I’ll settle for finishing without slumping into a diabetic coma.

Don’t know what’s next, probably a bit more cycling (Trans Cambrian Way this summer), and I’ve been thinking about having a go at an ultra whilst I’ve been out running. I may change my mind on this though as it might be a bit optimistic when I haven’t run a marathon. Yet.

djglover
    Free Member

I did my first – Manchester at the weekend. I did 2:57:59, very pleased, it went to plan pretty much.

My mantra for the marathon was borrowed from last years winner Dave Norman – 1st half patience, 2nd half desire!

Regards training, I did 1 speed session (ie 5k pace intervals), but did a 10 mile road race 2 weeks before. Other than that, just lots of steady miles at 75%MHR including a medium long run midweek of 11-17 miles and a long run at the weekend of 16-22 miles, total weekly milage peaking at 55 3 weeks out.

I now have to rest for the Yorkshire 3 peaks race which is in 20 days, not sure its enough time to recover properly!

Good luck in Edinburgh

colonelwax
    Free Member

Nice one, you should be chuffed with a sub-3hr debut!

The 3P race looks ace. I’ve done a bit of fell running in the past (no races that far though) but I’m a bit slow now for that. Also I’m a bit inconsistent with my speed – seems to depend on my blood sugar on the day. Not sure I’d make the cut-offs. Hope it goes well for you, report back!

windydave13
    Free Member

I did Manchester as my first at the weekend as well. Managed 3:26 which i was over the moon with. Kept good pace to 18 then it dropped slightly up to 22 then the last 4 was hell.

All i can say is just ignore what you body is saying and keep moving. So many folk stopped and then struggled to get going again.

As for training i just focussed on keeping the pace i wanted and then upped the distance. Didn;t do many training runs below 6 miles.
    My Garmin 910 shows pace at that moment so really helped to realise i’d slowed when following others who i assumed were going at the same pace.

Good luck and keep smiling!!

willard

I’m thinking of trying for something in September, but it depends whether I can realistically get fit enough and _stay_ fit enough for it over summer. I’d like to think that I can, but there’s always injuries…

djglover
    Free Member

All i can say is just ignore what you body is saying and keep moving. So many folk stopped and then struggled to get going again.

Yeah, if you don’t run through the cramp it will finish you. I overtook over 120 people in the 2nd half, most of them between 18 and 22 miles, all went off too fast, all hit the wall at very similar points!

Another good tip is fuel well and early, I took a gel every 2 miles from 9 miles to 19 miles.

stever
    Free Member

Quiet year for me, last year’s (quite short) ultra took too much out of me.
    djglover – top debut, you’ll fly in the 3P! Have you done it before? My tip from the slightly slower end than you: take it easy to Ribblehead, it’ll give you a massive boost taking loads of places on the death slog up Whernside and then again up the side of Ingleborough. You’ve got slightly longer to recover than my mate that did Manchester – she’s got London next. Bonkers 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I ran my first marathon last year and am seriously thinking about doing an ultra next year.

Nothinig planned this year as its XC racing that’s on the agenda, but running once a week to keep the legs ticking over.

jonjones262
    Free Member

doing London on Sunday and Snowdonia in October.

I’m part of the Mountain Rescue Team doing London, if anyone fancies donating?

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=mountainrescue2014&isTeam=true

thanks very much

windydave13
    Free Member

Another good tip is fuel well and early, I took a gel every 2 miles from 9 miles to 19 miles.

I fully aggree here. I didn’t and suffered massively with cramp once i’d finished.
    I had a classic comedy moment stepping up the kerb where both legs locked with cramp and i couldn’t walk or maintain my balance. I wobbled for a few seconds before hitting the deck. Not my finest moment 😳

colonelwax
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s been some good results for people, good luck to those with races coming up.

I’m an insulin dependent diabetic, so a lot of my training has involved working out how much sugar to eat whilst running. Longest run so far is 18 miles, and touch wood, I’ve avoided any hypos.

djglover
    Free Member

Sounds like a fine balancing act cw, it will be harder to get any in in the last 4 if you need them, have you run a marathon before?

colonelwax
    Free Member

Nope djglover, not run a marathon. Since I’ve started running post surgery and diabetes I’m kitted out pretty much the same as when I did winter fell running! Always have a bumbag with blood sugar monitor, spare warm layer (in case I have to stop) and a mix of gels and jelly babies.

Not worrying too much about times, I reckon if I fuel myself up right I can keep going at a steady pace.

I’m going to try a (slow) 24 miles before the race, which I know is further than recommended in training plans but it’s more to reassure me (and my missus!) that I won’t keel over on the day.

I’m pretty used to having to eat even if I don’t feel like it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Marathon season's here, how's the training, how'd the race go, what's next?’ is closed to new replies.