Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Marathon PLUS v Durano TEST
  • xyeti
    Free Member

I’m bored, Sat at work and having just done my Usual buying Online in works time routine…….

I’ve now discovered by following various links from purchasing bike tyres that a website exists where some one tests the rolling resistance in tyres. Tyres that i have already Mthn PLUS and soon to be delivered Durano’s which arent plus rated but do have the race guard.

I was a bit peeved to see that the Durano is only slightly better in the rolling stakes than the Mthn PLUS, has any one here got the Durano’s, At nearly a Kilo each end i was hoping to get my times down a bit fitting a smoother tyre but still went for something with a bit of pattern on the shoulders just in case it does ever dry out enough to actually get leant over a tad.

Any one got an opinion on these please?

Thanks.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Durano is definitely a way quicker tyre than Marathon Plus. Where says they’re not?

Rolling resistance is lower – it may not be that much lower (although I’d expect there to be a significant difference) but on top of that the much reduced weight will have an impact too.

Rest assured, you’ve made a good purchase! Now get back to work…

xyeti
    Free Member

hang on hang on, I’ll post this then make a brew :mrgreen:
    I cant do that clever thing where you can put (LINKY) and it magically opens.

Durano
    http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/schwalbe-durano-2015

MARATHON PLUS
    http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-plus-2015

STATO
    Free Member

His test is at ~40kg, so equivalent to 80kg rider, so…

A 35mm marathon plus would typically be ran at 60psi = 25.5W
    A 25mm Durano probably would be ran at 100psi = 18.8W

Massive difference.

STATO
    Free Member

What is interesting from his test though, is that the Durano has the worst rolling resistance for worst puncture resistance (total) than equivalent tyres like the Pro4 enduranceV2 and GP4 seasons. LOL!

[also bored at work]

xyeti
    Free Member

STATO, Thats exactly what i thought, Bloody typical, i found this after purchasing, and i thought that the Durano would be closer to 15 maybe under. thinking i should have gone down The One route now.

STATO
    Free Member

ha, I was only pulling your leg. The differences in W between the other brands are un-noticeable.

The One is getting good reviews, but its a step again away from a marathon. You need to decide if you want a tough tyre or a fast tyre that has a bit of puncture resistance.

When I ran my racy CorsaEVO-CX I had very few punctures, but they were not suitable for commuting as the puncture risk was much higher on city roads. So I run 4seasons the majority of the time now (as the name suggests).

maccruiskeen

exactly what i thought, Bloody typical, i found this after purchasing, and i thought that the Durano would be closer to 15 maybe under. thinking i should have gone down The One route now.

Its lucky that distant selling regs allow you to just send them back and buy something else then 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got 3k Miles on a pair of 28c Durano’s and they are fantastic. Not sure why you’re comparing them to Marathon Pluses, they’re more of a middle weight road tyre than a heavy weight touring/commuting tool. IIRC the 25c version is around 250g so not that middle weight really.

I’ve bought a pair of 25c’s to replace them with when/if they ever wear out.

xyeti
    Free Member

hi boblo, i’m not comparing them like for like, i’m takin g the Marathon Plus tyres off 32c and putting the 28c Durano’s on. After hauling these big heavy bad ass tyres around all winter for nearly 3K Miles they bareley look worn, the tread and 5mm thick resistant belt add up to nearly 2 Kilo’s in total.

Looking at the Durano i thought it would be a faster rolling tyre than the testing website claimed, i still need some protection as the roads around our way are lethal for pot holes, the TDY is comming through our Village and the work to fill in pot holes and dropped man hole covers in the surrounding area began yesterday so i thought, Eyup….. best get these bastids off and put something decent on.

They cant be any slower to pick up than the Marathons thats for sure?

boblo
    Free Member

No they’re not. Stats, stats and damn lies. Don’t worry about them, they’ll be just fine.

xyeti
    Free Member

cool, thought so.

Thanks

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Just get the 4 seasons or gp4000 best tyres ever

ampthill

What size are the Durano?

They tested the 25mm which all other things being equal is bound to be worse than the larger Marathon they tested

Oh and one day some one will do these tests on a flat surface and it will turn out that that these tests don’t quite tell us what we thought they did

You’ve bought 28mm Durano’s they should be lower rolling resistance than those tested

xyeti
    Free Member

I know 👿

kimbers

Stuck some panaracer tour guards, cheap from Merlin, on my commuter, faster rolling than marathon but seem to have good puncture resistance, which is all I want hacking the mean streets of London

boblo
    Free Member

Panaracer Tour Guards are those really heavy concrete tyres aren’t they (very much like Marathon Pluses)? I had a pair under duress (distressed purchase mid tour), they were so shit, I sold them as soon as I got back.

xyeti
    Free Member

Well, The Durano’s are ON………. And my word they are so light compared to the MP’s, Even in 28 they look lost in the wide frame, They look tiny and Super fast compared to the MP’s. Looking forward to my ride in the morning but not the weather, thst looks shocking.

boblo
    Free Member

Is that it then? Not even gonna tell us how you got on or did it all end up under a bus?

xyeti
    Free Member

Hah, No it went well, Very well in fact, They spin up faster that was noticeable straight away, they roll better BUT some how they seem noisier, How does that work?

The noise is a good noise, a humming throng as you rattle along, the kind of Noise that you would assosciate with making progress. The weight gain and the lower rolling resistance was Noticeable straight away on the climbs as well, when out of the saddle and standing on the pedals the squirt forward is pronounced and not nulled out by the heavy treaded MP’s. The bike also felt much more agile and nimble, One section i regularly sprint is quite pot holed and rutted but weaving the bike about and pointing it seemed far easier.
    I put 90 PSI in but i think they need at least another 10?

On the STRAVA side of things, averaged 15.8 MPH over 45 Miles, 3,200Ft of Climbing.
    Previous loop which i do often never got out of 14.something.
    Got NO KOMS……….. Plenty of PR’s 3 Fastest of the year so far and 2 Inside the top 10 of all time. I’m getting there.

Really happy with them and i would say that chequer plate Rolling Road simulator that tested 25c Tyres does not tell the real story, both these Durano’s weigh less than 1 Marathon Plus. They roll and ride much much better.

Hope that helps, Thanks to those who pointed out the advantages, well impressed. 💡

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Marathon PLUS v Durano TEST’ is closed to new replies.