Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Maps and uncertainty – Help my research and contribute to charity (Guide Dogs)
  • mapsanddogs
    Free Member

I was hoping that STW would be able to help me with my research by completing my survey. I am a PhD student at the University of Nottingham looking at how social issues are represented on maps. Part of this is an online survey, working with Ordnance Survey, examining how people understand social issues and uncertainty when represented on a ‘map’. It can be found at the link below:

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/1527191/Representing-Social-Issues-and-Uncertainty-on-Maps-

The survey may require a bit of thought but should take no longer than 15 minutes to complete. Please add any comments to the free text boxes on the survey.

To say thank you for completing the survey I will donate £1 per completed response to Guide Dogs (up to a maximum of £500) so you will not only be helping my research but a very worthwhile cause as well.

I would like as many responses as possible so please share this link as widely as possible. It is open to anyone and everyone provided they are over 16 years of age and are happy to answer yes to all of the eligibility questions at the beginning of the survey. It will however be difficult to complete on a smartphone due to the small screen size and for anyone who is colour blind.

Thank you for your help with this and I hope that you find the survey interesting and enjoyable.

wombat

Done it

jwr

Done – interesting topic.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

Tried it at work, but on an old version of IE and I couldn’t drag & drop anything.
    Will try later at home….

cranberry
    Free Member

Done it- the drag and drop was a bit strange ( Firefox v30 ) as you can’t drop an item to the bottom of a list directly, you had to hover it above items further up the list and then move downwards and drop it. It almost had me giving false results to start with.

GrahamS

Done.

In a sort of related topic, here is a good example of people completely misunderstanding data presented on a map:

The CTC have a red-amber-green coded map on their space4cycling website.

The comments on facebook were full of people saying that the map was stupid and misleading because it said cycling in London (green) was safer than cycling in the Highlands (red).

But the colours on the maps have nothing to do with cycling safety.
    Instead they indicate what percentage of councilors have pledged to support the space4cycling campaign in each local authority.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Done – interesting, especially the uncertainty element. Good luck with the project.

stumpy01

GrahamS – that’s funny!

mapsanddogs
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for all your help – I really appreciate it.

I’ve had quite a few people fill it in and this is the first time anyone’s mentioned browser issues, but they may all have been using similar systems so I appreciate your persistence.

GrahamS – That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m interested in. How representing data on a map affects people’s understanding of an issue. That CTC map is a perfect example.

Thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Maps and uncertainty – Help my research and contribute to charity (Guide Dogs)’ is closed to new replies.