Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mapping question
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

I’d like to see a map where elevation changes are really obvious – eg on an OS map the colour might change every 20m – to give a really visual representation of hills.

Any ideas where I could find one?

mugsys_m8

French and Swiss mountain mapping on the respective govt. mapping websites has slopes >30 degrees shaded a certain colour to highlight increased avalanche risk.

But that’s the only remotely similar instance I can think of. Oh and GIS mapping for certain projects that I have worked on to highlight landslide risk.

poly
    Free Member

Teaboy, I’m not sure if you just mean a topographic map or you mean something more dramatic than that? The problem is if you are looking at 20m intervals then for ordinary eyesight you will really be struggling to show much dynamic range that actually has any detail.

nickjb
    Free Member

This sort of thing?

Esme
    Free Member

Not quite what you’re asking for, but the Dorrigo 3D maps are useful (and look good on the wall).

jam-bo

Harvey’s maps do a better job of terrain representation than OS

hairylegs
    Free Member

+ 1 for Harveys

Also try OS on line maps for their new 3D presentation

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I was going to say exactly that – here’s an example.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Thanks – the Harveys one is nice.

Background:
    I was riding round Keighley yesterday (ugh) and thinking that there are some amazing road climbs around there and it would be really handy to have an instant view of the ascent of each climb by overlaying the roads onto some colours – eg:

Most climbs start at 80-100m, the biggest finish at 350m. It would be great to easily see which roads top out at 350m, 300m, 250m etc etc without having to find contours.

charliew

Harvey maps are great, but they’d dont cover everywhere unfortunately.

Might be worth viewing maps in 3D if you want to instantly see the topography. OS app allows this I believe as does Google Maps…

mugsys_m8

Most osm mapping will give you a ‘terrain’ option. This would show you the steeper areas, so not quite what you want but could help?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mapping question’ is closed to new replies.