• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nre.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mapping app for Android
  • rob39
    Free Member

Hi all
    Looking for a good app for my android, so I can record where I’ve rode. distance, elevation etc with good mapping so I can explore as well. Anyone know any good apps?
    Anyone used garmin fit? (just found it)

mattrgee
    Free Member

mmTracker for mapping if you have access to the maps from Memory Map. Strava for the recording?

nickjb
    Free Member

Viewranger will do all that and is pretty cheap for 1:50k maps and has some free map options. I also use mmtracker, which reads older memory map files.

MarkSS
    Free Member

maverick – provides you with OS 1:50K & 1:25K maps. Ideally you can cache these before you leave home over your Wireless LAN connection – so you’re not reliant on data connection.

Never used it for tracking my ride but have loaded a known route – mines got Dunwich Dynamo loaded which hasn’t really slowed it down.

nre
    Free Member

I use oruxmaps, 1:25000 maps can be stored on SD (download via PC application MOBAC), or download your local area on the go over the network directly within oruxmaps. It has some great features once you get the hang of it. I use it for all my route logging now, can export directly to MapMyTracks too.

retro83
    Free Member

I posted up my method a whjile back for getting the high quality OS maps in Orux for free, but it doesn’t work any more.

Does anybody have a working solution?

nre
    Free Member

I know when I did it a year or so ago, I had to use an older version of MOBAC to enable the downloading of OS maps as the functionality was removed in later versions. I’m on 1.8b, but a quick check makes it look as though it is now not working for me either 🙁

Good job I downloaded what I needed when I could…

retro83
    Free Member

nre – Member

I know when I did it a year or so ago, I had to use an older version of MOBAC to enable the downloading of OS maps as the functionality was removed in later versions. I’m on 1.8b, but a quick check makes it look as though it is now not working for me either

Good job I downloaded what I needed when I could…

Indeed, that’s the way I was doing it.

nre
    Free Member

OK just checked in MOBAC 1.8, I previously used the ‘Multimap UK OS Map’ as the map source, this no longer works, however if you look further down the drop down list I have another mapsource of ‘Ordnance Survey Explorer Maps (UK)’ which seems to work for 1:50000 and 1:25000. Get downloading 🙂

ampthill

Back country navigator for exloring. Cache OS maps for free

Sports tracker for logging

running both is no problem

DickBarton

Same as nre for me. Oruxmaps and mapmytrack…ive got a bluetooth hrm and it all connects, records and uploads.

Nre, who are you on mmt?

nre
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mapping app for Android’ is closed to new replies.