Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mapping and tracking android app.
  • HughStew

Can anyone recommend an android app for mapping, route planning and tracking. There are a plethora of apps out there, but what do STW’ers find best. I want reasonable (preferably free) maps to a reasonable scale for going off-road, and decent route planning and tracking. I’m not too concerned about guidance, as I would keep the device in my pack, and only refer to it when unsure.

Oh, and yes I will take maps and compass with me and not rely on satellite coverage, battery life etc…

vmgscot

I use Viewranger … but maps are not free (not the O/S one’s that I tend to use). Works well for me for the ‘which way now’ moments and the buddy beacon is useful for the solo rides.

scrumfled
    Free Member

backcountry navigator.

I could waffle on about it, or you could try it for free for two weeks and decide for yourself if its worth the whole fiver for access to OS mapping 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikejd

I use Oruxmaps on my Motorola Defy. Works fine for tracking and recording routes, and can upload gpx files which can be followed. Main drawback is availability of maps, OS no longer available so I find the best now is opencyclemap. I use Mobac to create maps then upload to phone,use offline.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I also rate Oruxmaps and was mightily disappointed when they had to drop OS mapping. So I went to the site and downloaded an old version, where the OS mapping option is still live and works. Keep being tempted by Backcountry Navigator though. Didn’t realise it was a long free trial…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scumfled – what scale maps do you get access to ?

OP Clearly I need to optimise as I use Endomondo (tracking/logging) and ViewRanger (good for finding my way around citys/towns) and Outside (OS mapping). I also have an OS GetaMap subscription for route planning at home.

kbomb
    Free Member

OSMAnd is a good free option for offline mapping using Open Street map data, it can show GPX routes too. In places like Surrey Hills it actually shows you trails and gives you the names of them, in other areas OS maps would be better, depends on your needs, but its a good free offline backup.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Scrumfled – so does the £7 or whatever for Back country navigator include OS maps at a decent scale? Or are they separate purchases?

PrinceJohn

I use viewranger – I’ve tried others but found them less intuitive to use, that said viewranger is a little tricky.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Maps are included (yep, shocked me too!). unlimited download at 1:50k.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My Backcountry Nav is to 1:25k (you can even zoom in on 1:25k). Like said, download the free trial.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scumfield that’s the same resolution as “outside”, I will “my backcountry nav” as 1:25 is what I really want, thanks @b.a.nana

user-removed
    Free Member

Backcountry is just incredible value for money. You can also download the maps you’ll need if you’ll be away from phone signal.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Long time Backcountry Navigator user here but, as I live in Canada, the OS maps are no use to me but there are many many different map sources to select from in other parts of the world, including satellite imagery.

Be aware that
    (1)some options do require payment (but I find it great value for money and has regular updates)
    (2)there are some issues with some Samsung phones running Android 4.4 and external storage limitations which are nothing to do with BCN

It’s worth signing up to their e-mail newsletter.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

jambalaya/Hughstew
    BCN uses multimap UK OS Explorer and goes to 1:25k it defaults to that scale (level 15) when you download the section of map you require, but you can alter the download scale which would use less space on your phone.
    The way I use it is to download the area of OS map I require on wifi at home beforehand. I usually have my regular areas on the phone all the time. Then download any areas I’m visiting ie we went to North Yorks Moors recently, so I downloaded OS 1:25k for the whole NYM.
    You can do all the other stuff ie overlay GPS routes off the internet etc, record your own route etc etc.
    I’m pretty sure you can plot a route, but I’ve always done that on my laptop using Bikehike or similar, then downloading it to overlay on BCN.

sheeps

Another recommendation for BCN. Not used it for active tracking (but it can do it), but I’ve overlaid gpx routes planned in mapmyride and then used it as my primary route finding source. Bit scary not going out with an os map in my pocket!

Ps… don’t get greedy and try and download the whole of northern england and Scotland unless you have a massive capacity on your phone memory. Be selective and be prepared to deleted surplus areas.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Quick question about any of these apps mentioned, do any of them have the facility to locate where you are, so could my partner somehow see where I was in an emergency – I remember when someone did the SDW 3 times I could go online and see where they were but can’t remember the app or software they used, but not looking for live tracking just if i don’t come back from a ride when expected someone could see where I was? Any of these do that or something else that will do it?

andytherocketeer

^^ That was endomondo (and is what I use, although not played with the mapping bit much yet).

I expect mapmyride, runkeeper, strava, etc. all do the same.

stu170
    Free Member

Strava? Surely

welshfarmer

If anyone still has the 1:25K OS maps on a PC in Memory Map format (qct files) then they will all work with an App called Alpine Quest. It is the only nav app I use these days. You can also download on wifi all sorts of maps and aerial photos off the internet to be used offline. Works well for me as I have very poor to non existent phone signal so on PAYG.

Kunstler

Quick question about any of these apps mentioned, do any of them have the facility to locate where you are, so could my partner somehow see where I was in an emergency – I remember when someone did the SDW 3 times I could go online and see where they were but can’t remember the app or software they used, but not looking for live tracking just if i don’t come back from a ride when expected someone could see where I was? Any of these do that or something else that will do it?

That is what ‘buddy beacon’ on Viewranger does.

scruff
    Free Member

tick

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Viewranger looks good, will check it out, thanks.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I used to use memory map but is seems to have stopped working on my phone for some reason (HTC one x)
    Anyone offer any advice as i have the maps – legitimately!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mapping and tracking android app.’ is closed to new replies.