Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Many of Horror
  • Kunstler

Very disappointed with Biffy allowing a cover of their song to be the x factor single. Playing and singing songs with my son this past summer was in that music for the melancholic, get-you-through tradition. A way to ease the heartbreak I was going through. We’d do this song the most. So now I find myself surprised that I feel like a petulant teenager. I’d grow a fringe if I could.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/dec/13/biffy-clyro-x-factor

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Biffy’s version for Christmas number 1? I might start a facebook group

Moonhead
    Free Member

The X factor contestants along with many other “artists” have butchered plenty of decent tunes. Such is life.

I think it says something when they have to use genuinely talented peoples music to make them look good…or more to the point, to make 12 year old girls call in and vote a million times just so Simon thingy can have another gold lined $ shaped pool to piss in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ourkidsam
    Free Member
    meesterbond

I don’t think there’s a whole lot Biffy Clyro could have done to stop it – provide you don’t change the words much and pay the appropriate royalties you can record covers of pretty much anything.

That said, I’m sure they won’t be too upset about the extra cash and exposure it gets though…

simonralli2
    Free Member

I had never heard of Biffy – did they have any hits that were in the charts at all then?

Northwind

simonralli2 – Member

“I had never heard of Biffy – did they have any hits that were in the charts at all then?”

They put this exact song to number 20, in a version which controversially included them not just doing karaoke but also playing instruments and writing music :mrgreen:

Mountains went top 5 I think and That Golden Rule to number 10. Both the last 2 albums were top 10 as well (Puzzle got to number 2). Though o’course the charts don’t count for anything now that your mum doesn’t see it on top of the pops.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Biffy had no say in it. As said before they will make a killing from this and get new fans. Win win situation.

sc-xc

If you liked the song before, you would be having to plumb new depths of shallowness if you decided you can’t like it now. It was the same last time round with Cohen/Buckley/Burke Hallelujah. A good song is a good song.

Alpha1653

No! The cover just sounds massively sanitised. This Matt guy has taken a wonderful song and stripped away the feeling of the original. I still love the original, I just think the cover is a shame.

Northwind

sc-xc – Member

“If you liked the song before, you would be having to plumb new depths of shallowness if you decided you can’t like it now.”

Nah man, I’m off to the laser tattoo removal people tomorrow. Biffy are officially Out.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Don’t listen to the cover then.

sc-xc

Just been thinking about what I typed. Is it possible to plumb any depths of shallowness? Let alone new ones?

Alcopop
    Free Member

as above Its still a great song,and the boy does a good version
    does anyone actually give a toss about chart positions anymore?

Alpha1653

“Is it possible to plumb any depths of shallowness?” Ha! I missed that.
    Anyway, I’m none too bothered about it all to be honest as I’m off to see Biffy and the FooFighters in the summer – whoop whoop!!

Kunstler

Just been thinking about what I typed. Is it possible to plumb any depths of shallowness? Let alone new ones?

I love the word oxymoron. I just never get enough chances to use it. I’ve got tickets to see Biffy at Hogmanay in my beloved Ednburgh. I will sing along, bawl my eyes and hug those around me while son winces.

The x factor puppet doesn’t even sing it with a scottish accent. He sings it in beige.

Alpha1653

He sings it in beige.

Ha, well put.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Many of Horror’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts