• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Manx 100
  • ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Me & some riding buddies fancy doing this this year.
    Anybody have any tips/info for training/b& b’s, etc.

Many thanks & Happy New Year

MarkE25

I did this last year and would thoroughly recommend it despite the shocking weather!! I stayed in a B and B in Douglas and they were happy for me to leave my bike in the hallway, even when it was coated in mud after the event. Loads of others seemed to have similar arrangements in other B and Bs so shouldn’t be a problem. Route has a lot of climb in it so training wise id try and replicate that in your regular rides. I got times out of the 100miles last year as I was too slow due to the wind/muddy ground so had to settle for the 100km instead. If you are keen on the 100mile version I would try and make sure your training rides are at a pace suitable to meet all of the cutoffs

Clink

I did it last year too and am in for 2016. I did it on a rigid ss which probably was a challenge too far, combined with appalling weather! Lots of climbing. I would agree with above – train to beat the cut-offs. Can’t wait 🙂

Shred
    Free Member

It is a slow 100 miler, compared to something like the Kielder.
    It is a technical ride, both climbing and descending
    Be prepared for terrible weather. I saw a lot of people last year that didn’t have much warm kit with them even though the forces was bad.
    Have a gps unit with the course loaded as it will help in navigation
    Use tough tyres, and not light weight racing tyres
    Use the bag drops so you can travel lighter

adsh
    Free Member

^ A lot of sense.

I did it in 2014. I set off in the warm sun but had heeded the advice and had a gilet and arm warmers. Half way round the heavens opened and it got cold.

It’s a tough course – not WW territory IMHO. At times the climbing is mental. I had a triple and 11-36 and was glad of it. Next time I’ll use an auxiliary battery for my Garmin.

In 2014 a number of very fast people converted to the 100k – don’t start fast – you’re probably aiming for about 13hrs for the 100miler?

It is VERY rocky. At one point you’ll descend through a track consisting of boulders the size of TVs.

It’s also great fun with a tremendous atmosphere!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Manx 100’ is closed to new replies.