Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • manuka honey
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Anyone on here eat this stuff, a colleague wont shut up about it, appears to be a cure and innoculation for everything ever?

In the same conversation another colleague declared that echinacea can only be taken for a week before it becomes toxic ?!?

is it just posh bee juice, well branded, sold as ‘health food’ or is it a cure for everything?

I was going to google it, but STW tends to cut to the chase

clubber
    Free Member

I quite like it in my tea when I’m at my inlaws and they don’t have any normal honey 🙂

I can’t say I feel any healthier…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

I stick it on wounds when I’ve run out of ideas and silver dressings havent worked, and medically, thats the only use that im aware of.. But if its for consumption its no better than Tesco’s value.. 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigG
    Free Member

Spoonful a day in a mug of hot water during cold season and I’ve not had a cold since I started taking it a few years ago. Prior to that I was guaranteed at least one proper man flu per year.

It may well be snake oil, but it works for me so I’m going to keep taking it.

It’s all about the active number, go as high as you can get. Tesco occasionally have it on offer, good place to start and see if it works for you

sandwicheater

Believe if you rub it on a duck it makes them angry.

Cougar

It’s antibacterial, though whether that’s in any sort of useful, practical manner or not I don’t know.

I don’t believe echinacea is toxic in any sort of manner at all no matter how much you take, allergic reactions aside, though whether it does anything at all is debatable.

scaredypants

I have manuka honey every day and I have the body of a 25 year-old cheerleader

I’m not saying it’ll turn you into a serial killer but it sure doesn’t stop you 😳

Cougar

Spoonful a day in a mug of hot water during cold season and I’ve not had a cold since I started taking it

I sprinkle pepper on my garden path to keep the wolves away. It’s fantastic, I’ve been doing it for ten years now and I’ve not seen a single wolf.

jonba
    Free Member

Spoonful a day in a mug of hot water during cold season and I’ve not had a cold since I started taking it a few years ago. Prior to that I was guaranteed at least one proper man flu per year.

You know if you dilute that down it’ll be even more effective 😉

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

It’s antibacterial, though whether that’s in any sort of useful, practical manner or not I don’t know.

There is a small amount of evidence that honey is a useful antibacterial, but there is even less evidence that manuka honey is any better than normal honey.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

It does definitely taste different, a bit like heather honey, so if you prefer the taste to regular honey then go ahead, so long as you can stomach the quadrupling (or more) in price.

soobalias
    Free Member

great wolve avoidance advice, does this work with cheap’n’nasty pepper, or do i need a middle class 24″ dildoesque pepper grinder with corns from around the ethnicly diverse world?

will
    Free Member

My girlfriend’s dad literally wont stop going on about this stuff. At £18 a jar or something I think i’d rather get a cold 😆

ransos
    Free Member

It tastes nice on toast. It has made no difference to my health.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Bleach has amazing antibacterial properties and is a lot cheaper!

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Buy Local honey from local bee-keepers it will do you more good and support the local economy.

scaredypants

does pepper on the path work for other predators ?

I’m particularly interested in T.Rex and zombies but really any info would help

TooTall
    Free Member

It won’t stop you falling of your bike when pished.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

uwe-r – Member

Bleach has amazing antibacterial properties and is a lot cheaper!

but doesn’t taste as good on toast.

phil.w
    Free Member

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

great wolve avoidance advice, does this work with cheap’n’nasty pepper, or do i need a middle class 24″ dildoesque pepper grinder with corns from around the ethnicly diverse world?

I believe it only works with white Penja peppercorns, grown in a small valley in Cameroon, which imparts the terroir of its fertile volcanic soil and steamy, sweaty climate, giving a delicate musky, mysterious perfume. The peppercorns have to, of course, be soaked for two weeks under a constantly flowing stream of artesian spring water before being hand shelled and sun dried.*

* Seriously…

mrmo
    Free Member

did a tasting in NZ, it does have a distinct taste but end of the day it is just honey. I certainly wouldn’t pay what is asked for it.

My longterm solution, got some Manuka seedlings growing, just need some land in a sheltered spot and a bee hive.

alexathome
    Free Member

Not all manuka honey has the same health benefits, you have to get the higher grade stuff for the supposed benefits apparently. Mmmmm I might go and make some toast, sans bleach.

DrP

Honey is antibacterial as the sugar content is so high, it causes an osmotic lysis of bacteria (with a permeable cell wall) and they die….

Imagine that – dying simply because you touched honey! Stupid bacteria!!

DrP

maccruiskeen

is it a cure for everything?

If it makes any specific claims on either the label on the pot or in any of its advertising then those claims need to be in some way substantiated. If the honey really had measureable health benefits the makers would be mad not to put those claims on the label. If they’re not there, not matter what colourful language is there, then the benefit doesn’t exist

Most wonderfoods and superfoods are advertised instead through editorial and ‘news’ stories. Given how cynical people are about marketing and advertising – claiming health effects on ads and labels needs to be substantiated by actual evidence but you can make any old thing up and publish it as ‘news’

The way most superfoods are marketed is you’ll advertise your product as, say, “an excellent source of antioxidants” then use press ‘churnalism’ campaigns to fill the papers with stories about what you deem the benefits of antioxidants to be. In some cases the press journalists themselves are actually food / nutritionism industry marketeers, working for the interests of the industry but on the payroll of the paper. These ready made stories tend to get printed with all the convenient cherry-picked ‘evidence’ bu manage to avoid balancing that to any reference about how, sometimes, anti-oxidant trials have to be stopped early because the participants were dying.

or do i need a middle class 24″ dildoesque pepper grinder with corns from around the ethnicly diverse world?

in the words of the waiter in a restuarunt I was at last week “don’ worry madam, eees big but ee no ‘urt you”

schnor
    Free Member

Having had my fair share of scrapes and cuts, I actually swear by manuka honey and bandages for my wounds.

Anecdotally, and only talking personally and unscientifically, wounds I’ve not used it on have scarred, and wounds I’ve used it on have hardly scarred and heal at least 50% quicker.

I don’t eat it as I have my own bees (plus it tastes horrid), I’m sure mine would work just as well but its too nice to slather over my pasty hide, but I’m totally convinced in manuka honey now 🙂

I remember reading somewhere rangers in australia pretty much have only manuka honey and bandages in their first aid kits (if you need anything more, as you’re hundreds of miles from help you’re dead anyway … kind of thing)

GrahamS

Woman in the office used to rave about the “magical honey”

I followed the “backed by medical research” links on their website and found they all related to use on wounds.

Nothing about eating it.

bigjim

I have used for tonsilitis, which went away, but I can’t say that was down to the honey. It does contain an actual antibacterial compound as well as the other antibacterial characteristics of honey, so it isn’t in the same league of stupidity as hologram bracelets or that milk serum stuff. I think wikipedia explains the antibacterial chemical it contains.

I’ve heard of it used to treat heliobacter too, again no idea if it works, I took the proper heliobacter drugs.

I can’t see it having any antiviral effect though, is a cold a virus?

wallop

How can a spoonful of sugar in a mug of hot water stop you from catching a cold?

mt
    Free Member

scaredypants

Marc Bolan and almost all of the rest of the band have died so no worries on the TRex front but the Zombies only split up so you could have something to worry about.

Back to the Manuka honey. Have seen it used on wounds that were infected and leaking, had some effect but not in any way making cure all claims. Nothing else was working mind including antibiotics but thats another story.

Drac

How can a spoonful of sugar in a mug of hot water stop you from catching a cold?

It helps the medicine go down I heard.

I think wikipedia explains the antibacterial chemical it contains.

Well that’s all the evidence we need.

falkirk-mark

I had it on a wound once which healed up really quick but I got stung about 3 times with angry bees. 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

Since taking honey(any variety)and lemon in a cup of cooled boiled water
    at the first signs of a sore throat ,I can honestly say it reduces the severity and longevity of them.
    Used to be really prone to bouts of tonsilitus but taking the above mixture has really helped.
    Think its a ‘Old wives’ remedy.

somafunk

Yep, i do the same when i feel the onset of a sore throat, teaspoon of manuka honey in cooled boiled water with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and grated rind (organic, unwaxed off course 😉 ) to chew on.

It does seem to work, however this is my perception of it and it may not stand up to a double blind testing procedure.

Sometimes i put a nip of whisky in the mug and this also seems to help 😀

higgo
    Free Member

Since taking honey(any variety)and lemon in a cup of cooled boiled water at the first signs of a sore throat ,I can honestly say it reduces the severity and longevity of them.

No, you can’t.
    (trust me, I’m a scientist and understand these things)

prettygreenparrot

it’s sugar water. the only thing ‘magical’ about it is the ridiculous prices folks will pay for it.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘manuka honey’ is closed to new replies.