Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • manly man tools…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

in order to take my knife making forward to the lands of profesionalism i have been buying lots of tools. most small but today i got these bad boys….

[/url]DSC_0623 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

and

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yJK6nx]DSC_0624[/url] by daftvader77, on Flickr

shame i cant play with them till wednesday (bloody mr arthrogram today) really looking forward to it tho!

footflaps

What is the 2nd one?

daftvader
    Free Member

its a 50×2000 belt grinder…

survivor

Real men use a file and a hacksaw. …

Duffer
    Free Member

What is the press for? Are you intending to stamp patterns from sheet steel?

The grinder looks brilliant! Didn’t fancy making one then?!

itstig

Is that control box one that runs a 3 phase motor with a single phase supply?

daftvader
    Free Member

the control box is a programmable speed controller with forward and reverse, it runs off a standard domestic supply (tho atm it has a European plug.)
    i do also use files and hacksaws!!
    the press is to put a makers stamp into the steel, the smaller one of the 2 pictured below which will also be used on the leather sheaths of the neck knives. the larger is for the leather on the larger knives
    [/url]edited_1443122893233 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ a 50×2000 belt grinder being a ‘manly man tool’ 🙂

Proper manly tools don’t use poncy electricity and they require spit on your hands and sweat on your brow. Get yourself an adze if you want a proper man’s tool. Adzes have been separating the men from the wimps for thousands of years. Even Jesus Christ had one, probably.

wwaswas

[si] Adzes have been separating the men from the wimps their feet for thousands of years[/i]

Ftfy

matt_outandabout

Is he not making manly man knives?

Power tools are always cool and manly.

daftvader
    Free Member

Ernie I’ve even got a draw knife and a spoke shave that get used regularly if that helps my man points? 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

Ray Mears is making a bow and arrow with stone age tools then cooking a dear on the travel channel in half an hour. Sounds like some of you may like that (unless he’s being poncy and should be using his teeth (which he does for a bit of it))

bencooper
    Free Member

Ray Mears is making a bow and arrow with stone age tools then cooking a dear on the travel channel in half an hour.

Well, that saves money on the old folks’ home, anyway.

That belt grinder looks brilliant – I’ve been eyeing them up but don’t have the space, so using a vertical linisher at the moment.

daftvader
    Free Member

Bencooper I got that one from a company in the Czech Republic nearly a grand cheaper than one from the UK ( with a 10 day lead time as opposed to a 12 week one). Great service from them. Also got a couple of profile wheels for the curved blades and hollow grinding.

CountZero

The man who made this blade used a hammer, an anvil, then sharpened it with increasingly fine grades of wet and dry then a leather strop.

Not that I have an issue with mechanical tools for knife making, most of my knives could only have been made like that.
    I’d love a small belt sander, nowhere to put it thought.

mc
    Free Member

Would an arbor press not be better for stamping?

daftvader
    Free Member

Me, you need around the 7-8 tonne mark for stamping steel well enough to leave an impression that’ll last

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A kango drill is on the list…
    On the list not to have was the old landlords belt driven circular saw with no guards. Too many ways to die on that one

footflaps

you need a large stone wheel..

eg 3:30 into this…

https://vimeo.com/neemantools/axe-making

daftvader
    Free Member

Tbf that’s what a knife making belt grinder is, just a modern version with the ability to work with different grits, wheels and profiling attachments

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you do any fairbairn sykes cdo daggers do you?
    Been meaning to pick one up.

daftvader
    Free Member

No sorry wrecker, not the kind of thing I make… I’m in the bushcraft/hunting/fishing area of cutlery

wwaswas

Been meaning to pick one up.

as you do.

wrecker
    Free Member

as you do.

😀
    Been meaning to make a “me” board (gongs, badges, lid, dagger etc etc)
    It’s not for “use”….

Northwind

I thought I had mantools til I went round to my brother’s place and right in the middle of the room was something that basically looked like this:

You win this round!

footflaps

Tbf that’s what a knife making belt grinder is, just a modern version with the ability to work with different grits, wheels and profiling attachments

But the large stone wheel wins manliness points Top Trumps by quite a margin…..

daftvader
    Free Member

John neeman and his team win hands down on all man points. I would love to get to his skill level one day!

mc
    Free Member

you need around the 7-8 tonne mark for stamping steel well enough to leave an impression that’ll last

You may want to do some experimenting with that, as I’d doubt you’ll need that much pressure for a stamp, but you’ll have arms of steel trying to get that press above 6 tonne on a regular basis if it’s anything like the one I’ve got!
    By about 6 tonne it takes noticeable effort, by 8 tonne I’m on the verge of standing on the thing. If what I’m doing needs any more, I’ll take whatever it is to work and use the 50tonne press. I have also managed to bend the movable bed on mine, but then mine gets abused in ways it probably shouldn’t.

daftvader
    Free Member

yeah i did some testing, 4 t did nothing 10 was too much and 6-8 was about right… i also have arms like the hulk!!! the problem arises from the fact that you need to get the impression in before heat treating. after the heat treating there is a fair amount of cleaning up that needs doing (forge scale and tempering colour) so it needs to be deep enough that it survives this, but not so deep that it compromises blade strength.

bencooper
    Free Member

Me, you need around the 7-8 tonne mark for stamping steel well enough to leave an impression that’ll last

I use a percussion press for stamping headbadges, serial numbers and the like. A Pryormark like this:

molgrips
    Free Member

Those aren’t manly. A Mattock is manly.

Manliest thing I ever did was in school, I tried to shape some steel into a sword. Yellow hot metal, anvil, hammer, tie off, sleeves rolled up.. I almost turned myself.

daftvader
    Free Member

ben that looks like a good machine, but a little out of my price range atm!!!
    and speaking of swords, minivader has a project on the romans this year so we will be making a gladius with all the fittings cast out of waste brass. we are looking forward to that! 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

ben that looks like a good machine, but a little out of my price range atm!!!

I paid £15 on eBay for mine 😉

daftvader
    Free Member

kin el!!! they are 1300 quid new!!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Looks manly enough for me Daftvader *clicks Like button*

Count: I’m not really into knives that much but that looks lovely 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

kin el!!! they are 1300 quid new!!!

Aye, definitely one of my better eBay bargains 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘manly man tools…’ is closed to new replies.