Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Manitou Mattoc Pro Opinions
  • psycorp
    Free Member

I’m considering replacing my forks with some new Mattoc’s. I know they generally get very good reviews but I’m after some real world views to back this up.

Anyone care to share their experiences with the fork?

TIA.

sv

Swapped out a TALAS CTD for the Mattoc a few months ago. A rigid fork would be better than the Fox one but the Mattoc is very nice. Nice low pressure (half what the Talas had) in the air spring and it is very good over the small stuff and seems to get on with the bigger stuff without me noticing anything untoward. The HBO does its job too, again does its thing without interference. The upgrades they are due to release are interesting also:

Mattoc upgrade linky

Edit: Mine will be on an Aeris by the end of the week 🙂

jairaj

I have a Mattock Expert, almost the same they both have the similar features but Expert is open bath rather than a cartridge. I absolutely love the fork think its fantastic especially the damper, its miles better than the Rockshox Motion Control RCT3 damper on my SID and Revelation.

The air spring is relatively linear so you get good small bump compliance but the well controlled damping gives you support in the mid stroke and HBO allows you to tune how you want the end stroke to feel to prevent any harsh bottom outs. Since getting the fork I find I can ride rough sections with more composure and speed, specially repeated large hits; the forks seems to recover quickly ready for the next hit without bucking me about or packing down. Off camber rooty sections are easier too as the fork is more supple and front end feels like it has more grip.

Setting up the fork took less time than RS Moco forks, even though there are more knobs to turn. Because the TPC damper is far more intelligent compared to RS Moco it already puts the damping parameters inside the roughly the correct operating window so you only need 5 clicks of rebound adjust to find your sweet spot, rather than RS’s 16 clicks of adjustment. This meant bracketing tool a lot less time and I felt I had all the adjustment I needed from too much to too little.

I’m not trying to bash RS by repeatedly saying the TPC damper is better than the old Moco. All my previous forks have been RS Moco damped forks so its the only thing I can compare it to.

dlr

Got a set, love them. Not had more than 135mm, did check with air out and they move to 155 (so expect a bit more off a cliff) so just need to ride harder, they feel bottomless anyway.

They must have tweaked the axle a bit as a set of Towers I had a couple of years back it was a lot more fiddly, now it is super quick.

Red is the quickest colour as well, a proven fact. The price CRC are chucking them out for is silly. I had read about the new option bits coming, I do like faffing…. 😉

jairaj: If it helps I prefer the damping to my Pike RCT3’s (140mm 29er granted but you know…)

woodster

Loved mine and preferred them to my current Pike, but sadly not available in 29 or I’d have a set no question.

Nice and adjustable, incredibly controlled and just give that ‘don’t even think about them because they’re always doing what you want’ feeling. I bought one set with a buckled rebound cartridge, but I’m fairly sure that was due to serious abuse.

Special tool set to take them apart aren’t needed, just cut a slot in a cassette tool and you’re good.

psycorp
    Free Member

@SV funnily enough they will be for my Aeris too.

I bought a set of X-Fusion Slant forks from CRC for the Aeris. If I’m honest the Slant are much better than I thought they’d be and are very good forks in their own right, small bump compliance being excellent, much better than my Lyriks. Having said that they suffer from a little more brake dive than I’d like. If they had compression adjustment I wouldn’t be considering changing them, that’s all they lack, but it is a biggie for me as I like more damping than most.

All sounds good on the Mattoc front then. I’ll be getting a set once the Slant’s have sold.

Thanks for the input.

sv

Pyscorp – commented on your thread last week, can’t wait to get it all together!

psycorp
    Free Member

You’ll enjoy it 😀

chrishc777
    Free Member

Psycorp – slight thread hijack but I’m looking for some slants for my hardtail, drop me a line if you’re selling them cheapish! Email in profile

psycorp
    Free Member

@Chris

What do you consider cheapish?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Depends on condition, drop me a couple pics and details to my email. Ah and they must be black!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Manitou Mattoc Pro Opinions’ is closed to new replies.