Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Manitou forks on CRC – Why so cheap?
  • seadog101

I’m on the hunt for some new forks that give me a bit more travel and won’t break the bank. And, after figuring out that I can fit a tapered fork by using appropriate bottom cup on the headset (44mm Headtube)…

Manitou Marvel Pro

Why so cheap? Reviews online that I’ve seen seem generally positive, is there some dark secret I’m not in on?

chakaping
    Free Member

Do it. Almost worth buying a few and just sticking a new one on instead of getting it serviced.

I’m tempted to upgrade the fork on the XC bike that my wife never rides with one of them.

blob
    Free Member

The combination of 26″, 100mm travel, tapered steerer and 9mm QR probably means that there aren’t many bikes that they will fit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there reputation of being utter shit as a brand
    26″ tapered XC forks
    QR is fairly dead as a standard (though most decent wheels will accommodate it)

scotroutes

That. All those that are heavily discounted have a mix of specification that’s not commonly wanted.

djflexure

I have had two pairs of the tower pros and they seem really good – very pleased with them. They might even feel better than floats and sids I’ve had previously. Certainly not worse.

seadog101

Yep, agree that the combination of tapered/26/QR is a bit odd.

I might go for one of the other variants at 120mm with 15 or 20mm hub instead, and get the front wheel rebuilt with new appropriate hub. Seems that £40-£50 quid is a sensible price for that.

Just a little wary that the extra travel (currently using 100mm SR Raidon forks) and an external 1.5″ cup would effect handling?

argee

It’s not just the QR models in the sale, it’s several types. As for manitou, I’ve had a few pairs over the years, and they tend to be decent enough, yes they had issues years ago with seals and so on, but since they launched the minutes with their improved seals and wipers they’ve been not too bad. I have been out of the buying game for a few years until recently, but from what I’ve seen in the last year since I started buying new stuff again, I think most fork brands do a decent job with similar levels of plushness, weight and quality, my surprise is the lack of marzocchi forks out there these days.

As for these ones, I’m thinking of getting a pair myself, I need to get my 2011 SIDs serviced, and at 100 quid plus postage that means it’s just 30 quid more to get a brand new pair of forks.

hounslow
    Free Member

Manitou’s distro Hotlines and CRC are/were affiliated.

matt_outandabout

Would these fit a 2000 Cannondale ht, in place of a 1.5″dia headshock?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Manitou forks on CRC – Why so cheap?’ is closed to new replies.