Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • manitou 4 way air shock thoughts? good? bad? to be fitted to a prophet
    Free Member

Dear STW,

A friend has suggested I purchase his brand new, unused Manitou 4-way swinger air-shock for my impending prophet purchase.

I beleive it currently has a fox-float on it at the moment.

Do you think this shock would be a worthy fit, or best to keep the fox shock on?

thanks in advance 😉
    jt ;o)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what float is it? if it has pro pedal then it is better than a manipoo

Free Member

I think it has pro-pedal … the details escape me.. are manitou really *that* bad? so bad it is not worthy of swapping a fair of TF-tuned vanilla's for?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i wouldn't

Free Member

still a bit uncertain as to thoughts about this shock, mtbr seem to think it alright!?

jt

z1ppy

I dunno about the manipoo comment, I run a 3 way swinger & it's ok (not tried a fox on the prophet to be fair) but if you have a vanilla that would fit, use that!
    Van shocks are still well rated, unless you need a weight weenie option

jonk

The 4 way is an awesome platform shock. It allows much better adjustment of the platform than newer generation pro pedal shocks like the RP23.

singletrackmind

I run a 222 x 52 SPV air can on my bike. The spv pistons can occaisionally stick, if left unridden foe a while. Its an easy fix takes 5 mins once the shock is off the bike. I was told by TF that the longer stroke ones were more prone to failing than the short ones. Mine holds air for months , is very very tunable and has been on the bike for about 18 mths.

Free Member

the vanilla i intend on swapping for are forks, and exchange i'm supposed to be getting a 4way swinger that's brand spanking new …

it'll be going on a cannondale prophet, so lord knows what length (this being the first full sus bike i've owned)

thank's for your comments singletrackmind & jonk and others 😉 all very much appreciated 😉

jt

racing_ralph
    Free Member

200 i2i and 50mm stroke jt

higgo
    Free Member

I've used both the Manitou 4way and Fox Float, albeit on very different bikes. To me the performance of the Manitou just shades it. Others may have a different view.

But there's not much in it and certainly not enough to lose a set of decent forks over.

Also bear in mind that you would have warranty support for the Fox. Would your mate offer a warranty?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

floats are 17mm shorter than a 140 pike and 10mm shorter than a lefty tho, so unless he uses a big stack headset they would be too short for the frame

higgo
    Free Member

I assumed the 'Float' was the shock, not the fork.

So he's giving his mate a decent set of forks (Vanillas) as part of a deal to swap one shock for another which may or may not suit the bike better.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

apparently there's a lovely Swinger 4-way in the classifieds at the mo, 190 x 44mm, perfect for 'lowered Prophet' experiments 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘manitou 4 way air shock thoughts? good? bad? to be fitted to a prophet’ is closed to new replies.