Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mango Bikes – anyone own one?
  • misledyouth

Hi all,

As title really, been looking at getting a cheaper CX bike for winter commuting and trying to keep (or build) fitness over the winter months. Quite fancy the Point AR tiagra for £679, just wondered if anyone has any experience with one?

Thanks

Andy

simondbarnes

Jason did until he had to abandon it at a Spanish train station…

The Ride to Spain – or How Not To Do Big Rides

Bregante

Greg May had one too

Mango Bikes – Point AR Review

misledyouth

Thanks guys, is there anything round a similar price (sub £700) I should be looking at? After something with good tyre clearance and rack mounts that would do for training/commuting and a bit of adventure.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

When I was looking at the Point, I also considered the Saracen Hack but ended up getting a Pinnacle Arkose.

GregMay
    Free Member

Bregante – Member
    Greg May had one too

Mango Bikes – Point AR Review

Still do. Love it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I had one of the original singlespeed bikes, had it stolen and replaced it with a Planet X Holdsworth singlespeed.
    At the time I thought the Mango was great if rather harsh riding but the Holdsworth is much better. Its lighter, has more life in the frame & the wheels aren’t as horribly harsh.
    The Mango had plain gauge tubing and you could tell.
    I’d say look for something else.

Bucko

The original singlespeed and the Point AR are very different frames. I was very tempted by one but ended up with a Cotic Escapade as I always wanted one and was happy to spend the money. If I only had £700 then the Mango would be my choice

misledyouth

I’d read your write-up Greg, all sounded very positive! Would the Point AR’s not be a bit more refined than the original SS bikes? This would be my first drop barred bike, currently have a Nukeproof mega and a 140mm travel steel ht so it’s a world apart from what I’m used to

johnnystorm

GT Grade AL 105 is £700 at Wiggle after 30% off.

GregMay
    Free Member

Bucko – Member
    I was very tempted by one but ended up with a Cotic Escapade

Funny story. I have one of them too….

munrobiker
    Free Member

I bought a Point AR Tiagra for my dad. I have a Marin Lombard myself, which was a little more money even on sale and is pretty heavy. I dread to think how heavy that steel Marin up there will be.

By contrast the Mango is lighter and better equipped, particularly the wheels which have cartridge bearings and the BB7 brakes. The paint seems a little thin but otherwise it’s an amazing bike for the money. I’d have bought one over the Marin had they been available at the time.

theboatman
    Free Member

I love my gt grade.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mango Bikes – anyone own one?’ is closed to new replies.