Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • mandolins, easy for an average guitarist?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

since seeing someone selling one on here, and being drawn to one whilst in my local guitar shop, i am thinking about getting one.

they seem cheap, and like it might be a fun addition to my (please insert the relevant geeky term for a small collection of guitars here)________.

Are they easy for the average guitarist to play?, 8 strings, etc.

what sort of stuff do you do with them? I am into my picking can you pick them or is it all “levellers” strumming.

Any maker recomendations, which body shape, and does it make any difference (ie round back classic mandolin, to electric guitar copy (F style?) ?

I am thinking of getting an electric one, having recently bought an amp.

can i get a decent one for £100?

grievoustim
    Free Member

they have 8 strings – but you play 2 at a time like a 12 string guitar, so effectively 4 strings

sorry – thats all I know. I imagine they are easy if the tuning matches the top or bottom 4 strings on a regular guitar in some way, much harder if it doesn’t

toab
    Free Member

You’d be doing very well get a decent electric one for £100 – probably better to go for acoustic and worry about a pick up etc. when/if you need it.

The 8 strings are tuned in pairs and played in pairs so it’s effectively only 4 and tuning same as a (lowG,D,A, highE) violin. (You probably knew that already)

If you’re a reasonable guitarist you’ll be able to have a bit of fun with it I should think.

Round back ones much harder to play (they don’t have straps and don’t sit still) and usually meant for classical stuff. Couldn’t recommend a particular brand but just try before you buy. Be careful of the neck and frets – these can especially bad on the reallyy cheap ones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont know I am way above average and it was easy 😉

tyger
    Free Member

I was the chap selling the one you mentioned – it’s a lovely instrument and comes with chord sheets etc. and easy to play (pick or strum)

If you’re interested in mine then get in touch but be aware it’s on Ebay at the moment with 50+ watchers

tyger@talk21.com

Paul

addy6402

Buy mine! Including case, book etc! Fits with your budget.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ot-various-guitars-marshall-vs265r-combo-mandolincasebook

I’m a guitarist and picked it up pretty easily on this. Now moving onto something more £££ as I enjoy it so much.

al_sb
    Free Member

I got a cheap one a few years ago for a bit of fun. It’s pretty easy to pick up as a guitarist, unless you have huge fingers you should have no problems at all

timdrayton
    Free Member

Tyger whats the ref on your auction ill give it a look although im pretty sure its a bit too nice!

Addy i like it, and your 12 string, drop us an email on timdrayton@live.co.uk… I could pick up and pop into cannock……

tyger
    Free Member

Here you go

clicky

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘mandolins, easy for an average guitarist?’ is closed to new replies.