Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 391 total)
  • Mandalay Bay – Las Vegas
  • wwaswas

In excess of 400 wounded.

Really not sure where to go with that.

Sometimes I wish I could believe in a hell and that there was a special part of it for people like this. But I can;t so I’m just left baffled that someone would do that and perplexed that American society so vigorously defends the laws that enable it to happen.

Cougar

The comments on that linked YT video pretty much sums up the problem.
    Here’s one of the gentler examples:

“they can have my guns when they take it from my cold dead hands but watch the barrel will still be hot?”

It’s simply an obsession for many. Note how many posters on that link refer to their “guns” plural, or boast about about what special model they have. For every ‘normal’ gun-owning American there’s another who thinks he’s John Rambo. You can no more get guns out America than you could ban, oh I don’t know, Christianity.

woody74

if the murder of 20 six- and seven-year-olds is just something to be shrugged off as part of the price of the 2nd amendment?

They will never do it. If Sandy Hook wasn’t the tipping point, it will never happen.

Totally agree. I just don’t get Americans. Yes, events like today’s are tragic but have they not just brought it on themselves with such pitiful gun control. It keeps happening time and time again and they do nothing. There cant be many other reasons for loss of life when nothing is done to improve the situation.

kimbers

apparently 8 guns and 10 rifles in the guys hotel room

mindboggling(from a UK perspective) to think that you could get access to that amount of weapons

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Many Americans have unusual (for us) attitudes to guns. It seems nonsensical to us (or even most Americans?), but when they hear about people getting shot many feel inclined to do something “to protect themselves”.

At one level they might actually have a point. Even if guns were banned tomorrow for the law abiding how long would it be before “bad guys” ran out of bullets?

They also fear a “slippery slope”. In many European countries they banned automatic weapons, then semi automatic, then a few years later pretty much all guns (as in the UK). Therefore they will defend AR-15s now, despite the cost, to avoid having to defend pistols in a few years.

For whoever said that it sounded like a heavy machine gun, that seems unlikely. It sounded like an ak47 or similar firing a 100 round magazine (first bursts seemed to last about 10 seconds).

I recall in the US they tried to ban large capacity magazines after some of the shootings a few years ago, but that fell through because it “wouldn’t make any difference”.

They say you live and learn, but many people don’t. So sad.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You can no more get guns out America than you could ban, oh I don’t know, Christianity.

+1.

wwaswas

Not only that but they;re relaxing the laws they already have.

Senators recently repealed legislation stopping those registered as mentally ill getting guns. They relaxed rules on silencers despite law enforcement saying it would make source fo guinfire more difficult to determine.

jimjam
    Free Member

Panorama did a show about James Holmes – the Dark Knight killer. Strong evidence, or at least a very serious implication that an anti-depressant he was on completely changed his behaviour. It has been linked to a number of murders and mass killers and apparently it’s commonly prescribed over there.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Panorama did a show about James Holmes – the Dark Knight killer. Strong evidence, or at least a very serious implication that an anti-depressant he was on completely changed his behaviour. It has been linked to a number of murders and mass killers and apparently it’s commonly prescribed over there.

I saw that.

Very compelling.

natrix
    Free Member

The gun lobby are already saying that the lorry attack in Nice killed and injured more people, so guns aren’t to blame…………….

seosamh77
    Free Member

The whole banning guns thing comes up every time something like this happens. We all agree it’s sensible, half of america doesn’t. Hoo hum, their choice. Never the twain shall meet.

nealglover
    Free Member

The gun lobby are already saying that the lorry attack in Nice killed and injured more people, so guns aren’t to blame………

Yup. they would wouldn’t they 🙄

It’s what makes them such a special bunch of bellends.

The ability to make shite arguments to justify something so reduculous.

Imagine someone here being that stupid ?!

prawny

Would’ve been difficult to spray a crowd with a rented truck from the 32nd floor of a hotel across the (very wide) road though 🙄 (directed at the gun lobby, not the poster)

flange
    Free Member

The only saving grace about this thread is that ninfan isn’t here to get all moist over guns.

So on that basis:
    we’re all in agreement that private ownership of auto/semi auto guns is unnecessary and should be banned yeah?

(note: I’m all in favour of banning all guns as I hate the flippin things)

kimbers
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

salad_dodger

Act of pure evil rather than terrorism according to the orange trumpster. That’s a relief.

binners

Just think about what percentage of the people you’ve ever met you would trust to be able to walk into a shop and buy an assault rifle? Then think of the absolute nutters you’ve met who couldn’t be trusted with a pair of scissors

If we had gun laws like America every provincial town centre in the country at pub kicking out time would look like the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Actually, I think we’re possibly more violent at a lower level than the Americans because we don’t have guns. Most yanks avoid fisticuffs in case it turns into people unloading their magazines on each other, Brits on the other hand have a relatively consequence free attitude towards beating each other senseless during closing time on a Friday.

There’d be a spike of ww2 type carnage that would make American mass shootings look quaint – and then we’d end up avoiding each other like the Americans do.

nealglover
    Free Member

Possibly. But I’d rather get punched on a semi regular basis For the next 40 years, than shot with an AK47 just the once.

tonyg2003

Gun violence graphicThis is quite a depressing article – scroll down and realise its only over 3 years

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, yes – that’s a given Neal.

akira

Bunch of idiots, their response will be to arm all country musicians and then they’ll make it legal for dogs to buy guns.

northernmatt

This from the Gun Violence Archive shows that whatever it is they are doing isn’t working

Drac

Actually, I think we’re possibly more violent at a lower level than the Americans because we don’t have guns. Most yanks avoid fisticuffs in case it turns into people unloading their magazines on each other,

Are you sure?

Firearms were used in 71.5 percent of the nation’s murders, 40.8 percent of robberies, and 24.2 percent of aggravated assaults.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/latest-crime-statistics-released

Northwind

jwyeti – Member

How on earth can anyone think there could ever be a need for citizens to protect themselves from the government and police?

Dunno, are they catalonian?

Cougar

What’s a “murder-suicide”?

km79
    Free Member

You kill a person or persons before killing yourself.

Drac

Planning to kill yourself after killing another/others.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Actually, I think we’re possibly more violent at a lower level than the Americans because we don’t have guns. Most yanks avoid fisticuffs in case it turns into people unloading their magazines on each other, Brits on the other hand have a relatively consequence free attitude towards beating each other senseless during closing time on a Friday.

Possibly, whilst binge drinking yourself into a blubbering mess and then unleashing a haymaker on stranger isn’t a completely uniquely British thing, but I’m proud to say we lead the world in Pisshead pugilism.

The problem with that sort of sudden mindless violence is it’s, well mindless – it’s not that long ago handguns were legal in the UK and many people owned them. Thankfully few of them decided they needed to be tooled up to go to the pub.

In the US, I’d bet a lot of the person on person murders committed with firearms started off as an argument, which turned into a fight, one side started to lose and pulled a gun.

Cougar

Thank you, three people.

(-:

ransos
    Free Member

The whole banning guns thing comes up every time something like this happens. We all agree it’s sensible, half of america doesn’t. Hoo hum, their choice

I can only assume that they see the mass murder of innocents as acceptable collateral damage, which is outweighed by the need to keep the second amendment.

tpbiker
    Free Member

According to the BBC apparently IS have claimed responsibility? yeah right…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The NRA attitude is endemic and will take generations to undo.

Whoever posted the ‘rich people making money’ post has it nailed. It’s like the tobacco industry but a whole lot quicker and a whole lot noisier.

The real sad thing about those gun stats is the number of ‘0-11’ year olds killed every year.

Panorama did a show about James Holmes – the Dark Knight killer.

That was a worrying programme from start to finish.

The emphasis was on the behavioural changes caused by the drug but the easy access to guns enabled the escalation. Sad stuff.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can only assume that they see the mass murder of innocents as acceptable collateral damage, which is outweighed by the need to keep the second amendment.

Privately they might, publicly they will usually just trott out the usual “the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun” like they’re living in some kind of western movie.

One argument that holds some water is that if they did do the unthinkable as license and control firearms the same way we do, it’s only the law abiding people who would comply with it.

The real gun nuts have little time for existing gun laws and have no problem ignoring them.

The hardened criminals aren’t allowed them anyway, but still do.

In many ways changing the law would be an awful lot easier than getting rid of the guns and it would be a massive job to maintain the law – from that point onward every subsequent murder would come with calls from the gun nuts “if only he’d been armed this would never have happened!”.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The emphasis was on the behavioural changes caused by the drug but the easy access to guns enabled the escalation. Sad stuff.

It was a terrible program and incredibly unscientific IMO. It’s a bold claim to say his behaviour was *caused* by the drug, and they should have backed up the claim with much more rigorous evidence before broadcasting it.

Drac

I thought you were joking. 😯

Cougar

They might well have done. But there’s a gulf between claiming something and that something actually being true (as demonstrated repeatedly on STW).

There’s a mass shooting in the US, it’s not a great leap for them to go, “yeah, that was us” – free terror with one fewer exploding terrorists required.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Privately they might, publicly they will usually just trott out the usual “the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun” like they’re living in some kind of western movie.

Yeah, how come nobody in the crowd returned fire?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 391 total)

The topic ‘Mandalay Bay – Las Vegas’ is closed to new replies.