Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 410 total)
  • Manchester's Police doing what the Met are scared of doing!
  • richc
    Free Member

So kicking a prone and defenceless person in the head is reasonable and appropriate by the Police?

santacoops
    Free Member

but then again the scum that have been rioting aren’t throwing roses at them either.

We’ll no doubt see more inspiration from Banksy out of all this.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

neilsonwheels

You think its OK to beat a youth who is not running away or resisting in any way?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The police might have been heavy handed but then again the scum that have been rioting aren’t throwing roses at them either.

Those lads were just riding their bikes (maybe to go home…). They weren’t at any stage making any sort of threatening moves towards the police officers. Don’t matter what they may or may not have done earlier; the police are obliged to adhere to the Law and use only ‘reasonable force’. What happened there was well beyond ‘reasonable force’, it was, as Psychle quite rightly states, a ‘beating’. Bang out of order. They clearly had sufficient manpower to be able to apprehend the ‘suspects’, and I doubt very much those lads wooduv put up a fight against a gang of heavily-tooled-up coppers.

Out of order. It’s stuff like this what sparks off trouble.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Rich – I would make sure my lad was at home last night if I lived in London or Manchester, or if he wasnt I would hope he would have the intelligence to stay away from the area.

If he came home saying he had been beaten knocked off his bike by the Police I would check he was ok and then ask what the f he was doing in that area!

+1 for sensible parenting.

postierich
    Free Member

They were riding singlespeeds they deserved it!

Bit OTT but rather police intervened rather than stand by and watch while thet ride around taking the piss!

richc
    Free Member

Some of the attitudes on this thread are mental, especially considering the evidence of child abuse.

I guess if this happened to them or their family their attitudes might be slightly different.

If he came home saying he had been beaten knocked off his bike by the Police I would check he was ok and then ask what the f he was doing in that area!

and regardless of his or her answer you would accept that it was there fault, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Even after been shown the clip above?

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Not just a tinsy bit OTT

How do we know what’s gone on? None of us do so lets not jump to conclusions and call it OTT unless we know the facts.

People are far too ready to critisize without knowing the full story.

To be honest the Police seem damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they take strong action against rioters then they get slammed by the press who call them heavy handed and bullies. If they take a calmer approach they get critisised for being too soft and unable to control the situation. If they stand back and observe they get flak for not responding. Honestly they can’t win!

Honestly lets just let the police get on with it. Are you aware of the sort of scum they have to deal with on a daily basis? Sure they will make the odd mistake but things could be a lot worse. Just look at Syria for instance.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member
    Police clearly took reasonable and appropriate action to prevent a breach of the peace

You’re just a wannabe, aren’t you? Were you turned down by the army, police etc or something? Is that why you’re so bitter and angry? Just as well if so.

What a brave little keyboard warrior you are. Gonna threaten anyone today, are you?

santacoops
    Free Member

Also, its stuff like this that will warrant restriction of more of civil liberties and feed the cause for more crippling cuts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northernstar – you can clearly see the kid is not resisting in any way therefore there is no need for the beating.

Vern0n
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    ….
    Anyone know the story though? the cops were running to the spot before they came into sight, and they tried to leg it which suggests something had kicked off already.

no-one knows the full story from the video clip alone so let’s stop going on about how innocent the ‘children’ are.

richc – Member
    Some of the attitudes on this thread are mental, especially considering the evidence of child abuse.

Sorry – I couldn’t quite make out their badges stating “I am 7”. How do you know their age?

..anyway, i suspect they were on 29’ers which makes them look smaller 🙄

richc
    Free Member

To be honest the Police seem damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they take strong action against rioters then they get slammed by the press who call them heavy handed and bullies.

I think people will support the Police 100% when they are protecting the public against rioters.

However that clip shows them beating up kids because they crossed their path, and letting them go. Rioters get arrested, victims of crime are released. Draw your own conclusions.

MSP

It looks bad at first, but it does look like they were detained behind the wall out of camera shot.

stumpy01

Maybe they had been seen with weapons – knives & suchlike??

Maybe the Police wanted to neutralise any threat before they got stabbed? I would if I was in their shoes.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Those lads were just riding their bikes (maybe to go home…). They weren’t at any stage making any sort of threatening moves towards the police officers. Don’t matter what they may or may not have done earlier; the police are obliged to adhere to the Law and use only ‘reasonable force’. What happened there was well beyond ‘reasonable force’, it was, as Psychle quite rightly states, a ‘beating’. Bang out of order. They clearly had sufficient manpower to be able to apprehend the ‘suspects’, and I doubt very much those lads wooduv put up a fight against a gang of heavily-tooled-up coppers.

Easy to say from the sidelines as usual. How much reasonable force should they have used? Do you have X-ray vision that could see through the wall? What video clip have you got that just shows them riding their bikes for 10 minutes before this video? Why do the police run to intercept them when they can’t see them if they weren’t told to do so over their radios? What if they had just mugged some others for those bikes just before this video?

If you get caught up in the violence please remember to tell the police officer to speak to the mob nicely rather than end it quickly whilst they use your head for football practice.

richc
    Free Member

Sorry – I couldn’t quite make out their badges stating “I am 7”. How do you know their age?

From the NSPCC

What law defines the age of a child in the UK?

There is no single law that defines the age of a child across the UK. The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, ratified by the UK government in 1991, states that a child “means every human being below the age of eighteen years unless, under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier.” (Article 1, Convention on the Rights of the Child, 1989)

I am not 100% sure they were under 18, though as we couldn’t see their ID. However perhaps if they had been arrested after their beatings then their ages could be verified.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

It’s all a question of communication. Violence is a form of communication and the GMP spoke to rioters in language that they clearly understood.

Primitive people respect primitive punishment and brute force. A simple truism that politicians and senior police officers would do well to learn.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

no-one knows the full story from the video clip alone so let’s stop going on about how innocent the ‘children’ are.

In that clip, at the time those cyclists are assaulted by police, they don’t actually appear to be doing anything which could be construed as violent or aggressive; they’re just riding their bikes along a road. And again, it does not in any way matter what they may or may not have done earlier; the police are only allowed, by Law, to use ‘reasonable and appropriate force’. Do you really think kicking and beating someone who is lying on the ground is ‘reasonable and appropriate’? Ok then, so if you get pulled over for speeding, you think it would be ok for the police to drag you out of your car and give you a similar beating then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can clearly see the kid is not resisting before or after he gets beaten. Nothing else is needed to be known. That is not a reasonable use of force

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Northernstar – you can clearly see the kid is not resisting in any way therefore there is no need for the beating.

I can’t clearly see or hear anything from that video. Are you able to assertain what has gone on before this clip? Were these people smashing in a shop front minutes before and are now fleeing the scene? Are you able to see whether the kid has a knife in his pocket and is threatening to use it?

No you are not, therefore you or I are not really in a position to comment.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ok then, so if you get pulled over for speeding, you think it would be ok for the police to drag you out of your car and give you a similar beating then?

Be a **** sight more effective than three points and a sixty quid fine!

Vern0n
    Free Member

However that clip shows them beating up kids because they crossed their path, and letting them go. Rioters get arrested, victims of crime are released. Draw your own conclusions.

However[/s] MY INTERPRETATION IS that clip shows them beating up kids because they crossed their path, and letting them go. Rioters get arrested, victims of crime are released. BUT I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG. Draw your own conclusions. IF I WAS ACTUALLY THERE OR HAD SEEN THE SEQUENCE FROM START TO END I WOULD COME UP WITH A MORE ACCURATE CONCLUSION”

yoshimi

I’m quite happy to watch some chavs get beaten by the police:)

lunge

Does the vid show what went on before that promoted the people to be chased by the Police? No.
    Is the zoom of the video good enough that you can see clearly whether or not the people are resisting arrest? No.
    Is the quality good enough to see whether the people being stopped had an weapons (knives etc.) that they may use against the police? No.
    Do we know what went on after the video stopped? No.

So, can anyone make a judgement as to whether it is right or wrong on the evidence? No.

If those being stopped had been seen rioting/looting and if they were threatening the police, perhaps with weapons then I see no issue with the way the police conducted themselves.

On the other hand, if they were just riding home and had done nothing before then then perhaps the Police were a little strong.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northernstar – what happened earlier is irrelevant. Even if the kid claimed to have a knife to keep beating him on the ground is uneeded and anyway they just leave him alone after the beating. watch it again you clown

oldgit
    Free Member

TBH I can’t tell if they are defenceless from that, and there’s no way I’d call that being kicked in the head.

Couple of things, don’t go out in a gang during riots, don’t leg it from the police and what are battons for.
    In any other circumstances that might be heavy handed, but that’s the force bit. In this case I think it’ll serve as a warning, like a note to pass on.
    I mean this has been going on since Saturday, pretty safe to say that gangs out at night are out for trouble.
    No harm done, just got a tickle and sent on their way.

stumpy01

TandemJeremy – Member
    You can clearly see the kid is not resisting before or after he gets beaten. Nothing else is needed to be known. That is not a reasonable use of force

It is, if they had reason to suspect that the kids on bikes had weapons on them.

richc
    Free Member

Northern Star if he was doing that, why didn’t they arrest him?

Also it doesn’t matter, what he was doing earlier. Once someone has been subdued you aren’t allowed to beat the shit of them for any reason.

Or are you seriously saying that you would be OK with the Police beating subdued/handcuffed people?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

What a brave little keyboard warrior you are

Oh, the irony… 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

Beating?

Del

the only reason the police, or anyone for that matter, can use to justify their use of force is if they are under threat, and then that force has to be reasonable and propotionate.
    you’d have to be on crack to suggest that what? 8 coppers, in body armour, helmeted and carrying sheilds and batons, were in some way at risk in confronting 2 youths?
    if they’ve commited crime, then arrest, and seek conviction. if you don’t have the evidence to do that, forget about it, and go and do something more productive.
    there’s no justification for it. at all. the police’s job is an exceedingly difficult one and i do not envy them it, but only in a police state is the police’s job easy.

maxray
    Free Member

Sigh.

Unless you were there you do not know the rest of the situation, the police are dammed if they do, dammed if they don’t.

I really feel for them, I don’t however feel much sympathy for those lads, what were they doing cycling round there at night anyway? To my mind if you are going to put yourself in the fray then expect to suffer the concequences.

It wasnt like the police called at their house, dragged them out and beat them!

Maybe you can go round with a clipboard telling each copper in a given circumstanc ehow much force they can use TJ… 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Are you able to assertain what has gone on before this clip?

Oh sweet jumping Jehosephat…. 🙄

Again, because we have some really Hard of Thinking in here today:

IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT THEY MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE DONE PREVIOUSLY. THE POLICE ARE ONLY ALLOWED BY LAW TO USE ‘REASONABLE AND APPROPRIATE ‘FORCE WHEN APPREHENDING A SUSPECT OF A CRIME.

Right. Got it yet?

highclimber
    Free Member

all this argueing over whether it’s reasonable or not is irrelevant when you take into account the poor quality of the video and the inability for me to make out their numbers or faces to identify them should any of the ‘innocent’ people choose to press charges against them!

portlyone

It was but a little clip ’round the ear

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

No they’re not Elfin – they’re allowed to use whatever force is necessary to maintain the Queens peace

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’re of course wrong as usual Labby, but don’t let that stop you…

Oh, the irony…

No, we did that earlier on mate. 😆

santacoops
    Free Member

Chill out Elfin mate! Sheesh!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Watched it a couple of times now. It doesn’t look excessive to me. Firm and fast. They quickly and effectivly restrained the culprits.

Why are you assuming them to be children? just because they’re on bikes doesn’t mean your a child does it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 410 total)

The topic ‘Manchester's Police doing what the Met are scared of doing!’ is closed to new replies.