Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Manchester types – next five days in the city, bring a bike?
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

working in Manchester until Sunday and wondering whether to chuck the road bike in the car, seems getting out of central Manchester might be a bit of a bore as i’ll only have 2 hours max a night to ride. is it worth chucking a mountain bike in and jumping on the tram up to Bury or similar of an evening?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d say head up to Lee Quarry for a blast…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that’s not really ‘near’ Manchester now is it

Teetosugars
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member
    that’s not really ‘near’ Manchester now is it

Yes…

Its about 40mins from the centre…

If I leave our Office on Deansgate at 5pm like I do everyday, then I’m normally going past the turn off on my way home to Accrington at about 5.30…

So yeah, I reckon its close enough for a blast.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’ll only have 2 hours max a night to ride

Wozza
    Free Member

Lee Quarry or Rivington isn’t far.

Oh and you can’t take a bike on the tram.

djglover
    Free Member

meet hora for a ride?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hora doesn’t exist, you know that 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

3 laps then and back for tea ?
    how only two hours are you litterally working night and day

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Isn’t there a velodrome up there somewhere, could be fun!

Junkyard
    Free Member

they hire bikes there as well

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

junkyard – petty much yes. I’ll need to be sociable and back for dinner/beers with the rest of the crew.

i’d love to go to the velodrome but feel it’s more of a group activity, reckon you need a bit of friendly red mist to make it worthwhile

Junkyard
    Free Member

very little in Manc itself s it is flat alomost everything worthwhile(that should get a response from them)is outside even greater Manchester with Rivvy, Lee Quarry, Peaks at least 30 mins away
    Roadie probably best option.

Harry_the_Spider

Cobblers! Loads of stuff starting about 3 miles north of the centre. Jump on Sustrans 6 at Prestwich and have a dabble round the trails made famous by Hit the North.

They won’t let you take a bike on the tram BTW.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’m going to chuck the klein in so I have options seems to be canal/sustrans starting form behind our hotel and i MAY be able to squeeze enough time in to get a bit further out.

thanks

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m sure harry would show you around on friday. I might do if I finish work on time.

he’s right though- some great riding around Prestwich/Whitefield. the bombhole is dry at the moment too!

fubar
    Free Member

25 mins on the Calderdale train line from manchester victoria gets you to smithybridge or litteborough…plenty of riding (e.g. round hollingworth lake / under m62…hit pennine bridleway (north bound)…over and down chelburn moor / follow pennine bridleway over to watergrove res and back to station)… great blast

nbt

Marple is 20 minutes south out of Piccadilly, from there you can head over to New Mills / Hayfield and get some great riding, drop me a line and I’ll show you some local riding if you like. Travelling time either side of the ride is going to be a factor wherever you end up riding though

Harry_the_Spider

So… where did you get to then?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Manchester types – next five days in the city, bring a bike?’ is closed to new replies.