Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Manchester tributes – what's with the bees?
  • RustySpanner

……I suspected it came from a cultural inferiority complex…..

Another thing we invented.
    Comes from all the collective Catholic guilt.

🙂

IHN

Duh, how could I forget; water. We invented water. And the moon.

binners

And rocket lollies

And wine

RustySpanner

Communism, vegetarianism and Harrington jackets too…..

What a town.

Harry_the_Spider

Not forgetting…

Shoe laces
    Moist toilet paper
    Pickled eggs
    Spaghetti
    All the best swear words
    Cornflakes
    Melanie Sykes
    Budgies
    and Lego

All from Manchester.

Fact.

Cantona? A Manc.

IHN

Born and bred in Ancoats

binners

Also from Levenshulme…..

They met at an all-nighter in Whalley Range

IHN

They met at an all-nighter in Whalley Range

…arranged by

Who grew up in Parrs Wood, his dad ran the Bargain Booze.

Oh yeah, Bargain Booze. And Ikea.

khani
    Free Member

Vimto was invented in Manchester..

RustySpanner

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were originally in front of Billy Green’s Pub in Collyhurst and are just visible in the foreground of this picturesque local scene:

The term ‘Hanging’ is an affectionate one, meaning full of tramps, dogshit and old jazz mags.

We swapped them for an ancient Mesopotamian scroll which contained the secret of gravy.

Nico
    Free Member

Very adaptable symbol, the bee. 1840 – 1979, worker bee. Thereafter, drone.

theotherjonv

LOLing at these fabulous ‘people I never knew were Mancs’

Used to work in the KFC in Cheetham Hill, before deciding to end apartheid instead.

binners

We invented bees! And honey!

But not wasps. That was the Scouser’s

This was the product of an early European Cup campaign, when the United fans, among them a group of builders from Burnage were a bit bored.,,.

Harry_the_Spider

They made this in Trafford Park. In one morning.

Harry_the_Spider

…and this was made in Woodford.

binners

Did you know that Trafford Park was the worlds first industrial estate? It was esrablished by a company making beehives for Bez’s great great grandad, DFS, and someone making pre-packaged microwave meals for Tesco

badnewz
    Free Member

So by inventing the Industrial Revolution, Manchester also invented long working hours, monotonous jobs, and the expression, “My foreman’s a bastard”.
    Thanks Manchester, I could be chilling out in the countryside with my wife (also my cousin) instead of being stuck in a cubicle at work!

Harry_the_Spider

Newton Heath’s finest

binners

Eccles….

RustySpanner

This place is hidden in a copse next to the boating lake in Boggart Hole Clough.

It is believed to house several priceless Mancunian cultural artifacts, including Frank Sidebottom’s head and the recipe for Vimto.
    There’s a rumour that it may also contain Morrissey’s sense of humour, which hasn’t been seen since 1986.

binners

Not long now comrades…..

CountZero

There’s a rumour that it may also contain Morrissey’s sense of humour, which hasn’t been seen since 1986 1959.

FTFY

binners

Meh. Morrisey lives in LA. And has successfully completed the journey from icon to total bell end more effectively than anyone. So **** him!

Meanwhile, back in Manchester…..

johnx2
    Free Member

The mancs invented hair dye? Now I am impressed

geetee1972
    Free Member

Does the forum know that INH is from Manchester himself (OK well a suburb but still).

IHN

The mancs invented hair dye?

Yep. And hair.

OK well a suburb but still

I don’t like to shout about it, but growing up on the mean streets of Poynton made me the man I am today.

ElShalimo

Anyone who’s been to MOSI will know that us Mancs invented the world

For the engine geeks, get over to the Anson Engine Museum in Poynton and then pop into IHN’s for a post-museum “proper brew
    http://www.enginemuseum.org/

IHN

then pop into IHN’s for a post-museum “proper brew”

Whilst you’d be more than welcome, sadly Poynton is no longer my home. Instead I’m rollin’ in da Cirencester ‘hood

Harry_the_Spider

Tea. Invented in Manchester.

And biscuits.

Northwind

Harry_the_Spider – Member

Everything of any use was invented in Manchester. Fact.

I went to MOSI and I think Manchester and Scotland can arrive at an uneasy truce where everything worth inventing, was invented in Scotland but everything worth manufacturing, was manufactured in Manchester.

IHN

Well, not really, because Scotland was invented in Manchester in the first place.

MSP

If the Scots hadn’t been too mean to pay the hair dye licensing costs, they wouldn’t have been held back by their inherent gingerness and Scotland could have been as great as Manchester.

Harry_the_Spider

Let’s not get racist!

Many great engineers came from Scotland… to work in Manchester.

RustySpanner

Many great engineers came from Scotland… to work in Manchester

True that.
    My Scottish mate works at the Large Hadron Collider near Derker.

Moston Lane.
    You can just see the Ben Brierley on the left.

theotherjonv

Little known fact, Paul McCartney is barefoot in that picture. Some people say it was to symbolise his death, but actually it’s because he was from Liverpool and they hadn’t heard of shoes there. John, Ringo and George were all really from Manchester and were early adopters of shoes, which were invented in a shoemakers* in Bury in 1962

* cobblers, some may say.

Of course people weren’t forced to go barefoot prior to that, but there was a fear that if Paul had been wearing his sparking clogs he’d possibly have set fire to his flares, the bottoms of which had been soaked in LSD. Which was invented by another famous Mancunian, Bertie Hoffmann, in a secret lab under the Nationwide in Altricham. And without that LSD, Sgt Pepper would never have been recorded.

Bregante

Straight outta High Crompton.

ElShalimo

more like Higher Broughton mid 80s

binners

I used to live in Higher Broughton. Or ‘the Cradle of Civilisation’ as it’s known throughout the world, as they knew that behind this humble, shuttered exterior lies the finest chicken tikka kebabs* known to man

* Kebabs – also invented in Manchester. And pizza

Bregante

Binners is absolutely correct. “Spiceees” as it is properly pronounced is the birthplace of all naan bread packaged foods.

Of course you all know that Harry Hall invented the bicycle.

Harry_the_Spider

Wrong! The kebab was invented at Sal’s on Walmsley Road by Robert Stephenson on his way from Scotlandshire to Manchester where he invented steam trains, Tetris and Bombay Saphire.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Manchester tributes – what's with the bees?’ is closed to new replies.