Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • manchester to mallaig by train………….help
  • ton

anyone done this please
    and who with.

scotabroad

The london sleeper used to go all the way if thats any use??

ton

stewart, that is the one i am looking for.
    cant find anything tho…….

Edric64
    Free Member

92 quid single tomorrow and 10 hours with 4 changes

lazlo53
    Free Member

done it loads of times but always found it a struggle with a bike on line. BUT, what's far better is to go to your nearest main line station (in my case Stockport) and ask the booking staff to work out all the details. Stockport staff have invariably been superb, they'll sort out the trains that carry bikes and those that don't, give you bike tickets, printed timetables, everything you need, and all at prices to compare with anything on line, TIP, book at a manned office but ask for tickets from your local station. Honestly, the internets u/s c/f person to person when you've got a bike to consider

ton

edric, what about on the 1st of september.

scotabroad

Manchester [All Stations] to Mallaig [MLG] – Friday 28 May 2010
    Departing Arriving Duration Changes
    23:23 13:35 14h 12m 2

23:23 Manchester Victoria [MCV] 4 Preston (Lancs) [PRE]
    00:17

00:52 Preston (Lancs) [PRE] 4 Dalmuir [DMR]
    06:03

08:42 Dalmuir [DMR] 1 Mallaig [MLG]
    13:35

It doesnt look a very pleasant journey??

scotabroad
    ton

the train planners dont go past july.

Northwind

"It doesnt look a very pleasant journey??"

From Glasgow up it's officially one of the best rail journeys in the world. Shame about the rest of it…

Surely you can get to Crewe or Preston easily enough from Manchester and join the caledonian sleeper to Fort William? Then local train up to Mallaig.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Train from Manchester via Northern Rail to Glasgow central, walk across glasgow, 10 mins walk.
    Get West Highland line train from Glasgow Queen St via ScotRail to Fort William , change (possibly direct trainf, not sure) or Mallaig.
    Probably wise to pre book the bike and you're away. Go to your local station regarding the bike, but you should be able to sort the tickets for you online.

ton

northwind, that is the option i have just decided on…cheers.

lazlo53
    Free Member

Well, looks like I''m the only one that's done this trip and you're going on hearsay. Best of luck.

ton

lazlo, chill.
    i am going to go to the central train station in leeds to sort this out.
    i was just asking to see the options. 8)

lazlo53
    Free Member

Fine Ton, you asked about trains from mcr, it does look as if I'm the only responder who's done it but it always best to learn things yourself so again, best of luck. I'm off to Holyhead now to catch the morning ferry to Dublin

thegreatape
    Free Member

What northwind said if you can get on the sleeper near home, then prepare to gawp out the window from Glasgow onwards.

Sleeper stops at FW, but regular trains from there up to Mallaig.

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

Planning the trip to Knoydart Tony ?? I knew you wanted to .

ton

steve, knoydart or torridon.
    but what a **** nightmare………… 😐

geoffj

One thing to consider is the number of bikes in the group. If there is more than 2 travelling together, you may have problems booking bike spaces on the Glasgow to Mallaig section.

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

Just got back from that part of Scotland – spent last night (almost) on a beach between Arisaig and Mallaig . Not seen a cloud in the sky for a week – fantastic weather and even better scenery.Rode along Loch Morar to Tarbet opposite Knoydart and sat looking over Loch Nevis to Knoydart mountains with snow on top longing to be there , but wife was waiting back in van !!!!

nbt

the sleeper doesn;t go through Manchester, it goes up the west coast mainline so you either get on at Crewe at midnight or Preston at 1am.

geoffj

Oh and if using the sleeper ask for a berth in the middle of the coach when booking and make sure you have a drink or two to get you off to sleep.

scotabroad

I dunno you try and help….

Tony – might be heading up to Torridon for long weekend first weekend in May if I can get a cottage I have use in the past if you are interested. Bit of walking as well as biking.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘manchester to mallaig by train………….help’ is closed to new replies.