Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Manchester to London (or London to Manchester) in a day
  • crazy-legs

Oh yeah – tomorrow = Saturday when today = Friday. 😳
    In that case I won’t be around but have a great ride, good luck.

Be good to catch up properly at some point.

monksie
    Free Member

That’s a shame James. I was looking forward to that. It’d be great to do a few miles (again) with you. I see you ride past the house quite often. And Badly Wired Dog. And Martin S. You must all be very local.
    I’ll give you a bigger wave next time. I’ve binned the Facebok page thing. Pretty much only post on here occasionally now as well.

crazy-legs

Steve, pop into Sett Valley Cycles in New Mills and leave your phone number/email address in there with Sam, the owner.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monksie
    Free Member

I will. Will he know why? Shall I mention that you asked me to do it? I think they already have my tel number as they fixed a road wheel hub for me a couple of months ago.

crazy-legs

They know. 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

I’m worried.

bearnecessities

Good luck today 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

Sorry. I got to Leicester and turned back. 160 miles round trip instead of 220 to London and the train home but turning back seemed so much more comforting than carrying on. A bit depressed about it now though.

njee20
    Free Member

160 miles not to be sniffed at, great effort!

simondbarnes

160 miles not to be sniffed at, great effort!

Very much this!

crikey
    Free Member

Always better to be heading for home; all your monster rides should be back to the glorious North

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J46OAfaAu9A[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhovNgfydfU[/video]

monksie
    Free Member

Where were you! Non turn’er up’er!.
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Something James said was churning over in my mind and it got the better of me and I bottled it.
    “Last time Monksie did London – Manchester I met him in Buxton and rode the final few miles, he was physically pretty broken….. I don’t think I’ve got the mental strength to do that again.

crikey
    Free Member

I think you were tired but physically broken? Nah. If we hadn’t been aiming to meet Mrs monskie a pint would have set you up for another 50 odd miles…

Good effort mate, plan the next one and I’ll get back riding again!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Nice one anyway Monksie… That’s a pretty epic effort nonetheless – and into a headwind the whole way – I would probably guess!

I hacked out two 100 mile days from Oxford to Bude, Cornwall with panniers and camping stuff over the last two days. Somewhat inspired by your epic rides, I’m now of a mind to do the whole route again next summer – just next time in one go..! 16-18 hours I reckon. 4am – 10pm (I think!)

…Just wondering at which point I’d end up feeling utterly broken! … somewhere in the middle of the endless hills of Devon, I’m guessing.

Anyways… you’s awesomes! 😀

crazy-legs

Was wondering this morning how you’d got on. I note that it’s all my fault though which seems pretty par for the course…

😉

IHN

Good effort fella. 160 miles ending in The Beautiful North has got to be better than 220 ending in That London.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks all though I don’t think it’s deserved. A fail is a fail. Never thought I’d be an inspiration either. I’m quietly enjoying that feeling. Thank you.

scud
    Free Member

If you fancy a re-match, i’ll travel from the MTB mecca of Norfolk and come ride it with you, i “enjoyed” it before as much as you can enjoy something like that!

monksie
    Free Member

I might just do that Scud.

MartynS

First off… Good job you nutter!! 160 miles is epic and as IHN says better to fnish in the glorious north than the hell that is London!!

We moved from great moor just over a year ago. I didn’t know you’d moved to the shire as well!
    You should wave harder, I admit I’ve not seen you!
    We’re off mellor road.. Is that quite close??

monksie
    Free Member

Round the corner and another corner and up the road a bit Martyn. Not far at all from you. I’ll wave and shout next time 🙂

crazy-legs

Bit of a thread bump (and possibly also a hijack…) but I did the Rapha Manchester to London ride last Sunday. 13hrs riding time, a massive 15.45 actual time (thanks to various longer-than-anticipated stops at feed stations, a puncture, some faffing with lights and a diversion at one point in the route which required more self navigation).

Monksie – if you want the route it’s on my Strava file, it was actually very pleasant and avoided most of the main roads while also being relatively flat, only about 10,000ft of climbing all told. I’d certainly be tempted to do it again.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/701589750

Oh and if anyone wants to sponsor me for the Ambitious about Autism charity, it’s dead easy. See this link:
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JL_M2L

Go for it! Thanks

monksie
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at that James, thank you. I have an idea about doing it as a night ride. Would that route be any good through the night? Probably London to Manchester direction.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Good effort Steve – I was wondering how you’d got on after you’d changed the day – by the way the girls used the tent last weekend and it was spot on so thanks for that – we should go for a ride one day – Moor End Road can’t be that far from wherever you’ve moved to?

monksie
    Free Member

I go past your house on the way to work most mornings James. Always available for a bike ride. I’m just round the corner from the Pack Horse. Glad the guys made use of the tent. I’m pretty sure it’s a better tent than the bag says it is.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Aha I will look out for you and wave! There’s a guy on an MTB who rides past every day – I’ve got a feeling he might be on here. Fluoro green helmet, wide bars, legz akimbo style with saddle a bit low for efficient pedaling. Then again hats off to anyone who regularly rides from Marple Bridge to top of Mellor on an MTB

crazy-legs

I’ll have a look at that James, thank you. I have an idea about doing it as a night ride. Would that route be any good through the night? Probably London to Manchester direction.

Yes, we rode the last 30-odd miles in darkness, it was pretty easy to navigate.
    Pop into SVC and leave your details there, then we can catch up over a drink and discuss it further.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Manchester to London (or London to Manchester) in a day’ is closed to new replies.