• This topic has 40 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Manchester road rage windscreen attack
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Has just been shown on tonight’s BBC Northwest.
    Would like to see the preceding footage.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cyclist-smashes-windscreen-video-manchester-12803730

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s all a bit poor-driver isn’t it.

Would be interesting to hear the rest as you say, I doubt the cyclist will fess up.

bails

. There was no clear cycle lane and even if there was I definitely wasn’t in it.

“I wasn’t in it. But there wasn’t one. Not that i could see anyway.”

wiggles
    Free Member

Obviously not the best reaction but some serious local news journalism going on there

“her mother is in hospital, it ruined mothers day bla bla bla” I guy was a dickhead and smashed her window, he didnt hospitalise her mother did he…

Also “There was no clearly marked cycle lane” Pretty sure I saw one…

ads678

Well the if the Image enhancing stuff they do on the telly is true, they’ll get his name off the photo of his work I’d. Then he’ll have his chance to tell his side of the story.

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks like lots of “bantz” going on which we can’t hear.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“enhance” LOL

Kuco

Is the sound deliberately been took off or just not working on the link?

allthepies
    Free Member

I guess to hide the gobby passenger’s baiting of the guy on the bike.

He makes to leave the area several times but turns back, down to continued dialogue from the car I imagine.

#Assumption 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sweet. That there is road rage though. Sure we’ve all felt like doing it at some point, doesn’t justify it though.

nairnster
    Free Member

Was definitely a cycle lane. If she cant see it she shouldnt be driving.

He also made his way off on at least three occassions so she obviously kept winding him up. Convenient the audio is not present etc.

She does seem to be further left than the cars in front as well.

Not saying what he did was right. But as there is no preceeding footage what had she already done?

I was under the impression that the police need to see footage from prior to an incident to see what led to it. How do we know she hadnt just knocked him off his bike 30 seconds earlier? Then was giving him the usual “i pay road tax” speech. She was definitely gesturing at him.

tails
    Free Member

If the car cam is central she’s in the cycle lane, but he appears to come from behind so could have seen this. Hardly crime of the century, ld just make sure she has to drive out the cycle lane, throwing a bike at the window would be reserved for someone who tries to run me over. Would love to know the dialogue.

funkmasterp

I went straight to the comments and found the usual words of wisdom.

[/quote]Another thug cyclist – ban ALL cycles and cyclists of the roads! If they get knocked off their cycles, it’s their fault!

Not condoning the cyclists behaviour, but as others have already said, I’d love to hear the audio and see what happened prior to the incident. I can understand somebody who’s nearly been knocked off one too many times finally losing it. Epic rage there 😯

soobalias
    Free Member

site and video are intolerable to southern softy with copper bt connection.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Not sure there can be any justification for throwing your bike at a car. Certainly no justification in law anyway. He knew he was on camera, so why do it? That guy has anger issues.

It’s not always black and white though. I get that. I’ve been provoked into a bit of accidental minor car damage by an intentionally dangerous driver before.

project
    Free Member

more on the manchester evening news website.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Say hello to my li’l frien…

MSP

Not sure there can be any justification for throwing your bike at a car. Certainly no justification in law anyway.

That is a crime that could well see him spend time inside if caught, with some justification.

Yet the rather too common practice of drivers turning into the path of cyclists in traffic to block them off or scare them, which is far more dangerous, would not even merit a telling off.

slowoldman

What a nice man!

Sandwich

A decent brief would get the cyclist off. The public airing of the video will prejudice a fair trial surely. Also better the angry cyclist damaged the tin box than dragging the myopic driver from the car by the throat.

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect that as others have implied there was something that happened before. It’s clearly supposition, but you don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to realise that the driver/passenger are giving the cyclist a load of verbals/abuse as even the sort of person who would throw a bike at a car windscreen* would just ride off otherwise. I also suspect that the positioning of the car in the bike lane was deliberate, though that’s a lot more speculative. Just based on that article and the video though, the driver is either telling a load of porkies or is so blind they shouldn’t be driving, given the car is quite clearly in the bike lane which can quite clearly be seen (though the “There was no clear cycle lane and even if there was I definitely wasn’t in it” line would be telling on its own).

It’s also not entirely clear, but at the end of the video the cyclist still appears to be on the road, in which case the driver gives him a close pass whilst pulling to the left.

* I don’t condone the actions of the bloke and there is no possible justification, though I can understand what would make somebody do that – I’ve had encounters with drivers where the idea would have been tempting

davidjey
    Free Member

Tracey releases video with no sound, thus leaving the watcher to assume that Tracey and/or Tracey’s passenger were giving the cyclist some serious verbal, enough to provoke him into coming back after he nearly walked away, twice.

Tracey denies existence of cycle lane clearly visible in her own video.

Methinks Tracey is not the sharpest tool in the box.

DezB
    Free Member

Wow, big criminal cyclist (well, actually “bloke on a bike”)… interesting linked story about a motorist in amongst the text:
    “Killer driver who mowed down a dad-of-four without realising walks free from court”
    Uh-huh.

martinhutch

The pre-positioning of the “Me Mam’s in hospital” excuse is the clearest indicator that perhaps Tracey knows that her behaviour fell short of the ideal in the run-up to this incident…

Whole lot of them appear to be a shower of scrotes.

xcgb
    Free Member

He’s got a silly beard

richmtb

Police were called and officers, including forensics, attended and took a swab of his saliva he left after spitting on the vehicle.

Lets see them do that for every incident where the cyclist comes off worse

No excuse for what he did though.

Still it serves to highlight the differences in responsibility between a car driver and a cyclist

Really angry bloke get off bike, uses bike as a weapon and slightly damages victims car

vs

Nice old lady doesn’t pay attention and knock cyclist off his bike causing life threatening injuries

andyl
    Free Member

Not sure there can be any justification for throwing your bike at a car. Certainly no justification in law anyway.

Maybe if we had a law change to allow cyclists or other road users to take it out on careless motorists vehicles then we would see a massive drop in cases of careless driving as motorists are quote often more concerned with their pride and joy than the safety of others….;)

fanatic278
    Free Member

Let’s just assume the car driver/passenger had done something prior to this that would rightly upset the cyclist. Let’s say they performed a close pass with their car veering into the cycle lane. Then let’s assume they then went all hard-man about it whilst safely tucked inside their metal box – giving the cyclist verbal after he tries protesting and cycling away (twice).

In that scenario, what would be a fair response from the cyclist – ignoring the legalities of the situation?

Personally, I once pushed a wing mirror backwards after shouting through the side window at the driver.

juanghia
    Free Member

Personally, I once pushed a wing mirror backwards after shouting through the side window at the drive

SWOON, I want you on my side in fight!

fanatic278
    Free Member

SWOON, I want you on my side in fight!

Yeah – certainly you don’t. But my question is, what is a proportionate response? Throwing a bike at a windscreen certainly isn’t. So what else do cyclists do in these circumstances to make a point?

taxi25
    Free Member

Yeah – certainly you don’t. But my question is, what is a proportionate response? Throwing a bike at a windscreen certainly isn’t. So what else do cyclists do in these circumstances to make a point?

I don’t know, but personally I’d have just carried on my way to work. And regarding the sound some cheap dash cams don’t have it.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Definitely a cycle lane and there’ll be 3rd party CCTV about if requested soon enough though it’s clearly the exchange that provokes the escalation.
    Poor journalism too as he didn’t hurl his bike but presumably ‘cyclist plonks bike on car windscreen in deliberate fashion’ fails the reader interest test.
    He did seem very comfortable doing it though….

fanatic278 – Member
    So what else do cyclists do in these circumstances to make a point?

Note vehicle reg, cycle away, phone police to report. I doubt the cyclist is now thinking this was a good idea.

D0NK

not defending the cyclist, going back and smashing up the car is road rage, but that reporting is piss poor, totally biased, if it was covered in the same manner as when a driver hits something/someone, it would be “bike comes into contact with car windscreen during a road accident” or similar piffle.
    Journalist adding in the sob story about sick mother is also galling. If cyclist was on his way to cure cancer would he be let off?

As others have said driver’s actions before/during/after look highly dubious, but we’re just guessing.

<edit>Had some knobber intentionally nudge me with his car couple months back, would have been tempting to do something similar to the guy in the OP but just kept my head, took a deep breath and got his number before he sped off. Police did speak to him but NFA, the view from the moral high ground is a bit shit frankly 🙁

D0NK

In that scenario, what would be a fair response from the cyclist

if you had a bike lock or other heavy object to hand and dented someone’s pride and joy while they were trying to force you off the road I reckon you’d be ok. Going back after the incident is always going to get you into trouble, the factors can be used in mitigation but it’s still trying to get you out of the shit you and your rage put you in.
    I’ve felt that rage many times, worst I’ve ever done is same as you, punched wing mirror.

Aristotle
    Free Member

It would be interesting to hear what was being said.

At least the article confirmed her age, her job, the fact that she is a mum, that she was visting her Mum in hospital and that it ruined Mothers’ Day.

FWIW, I cycled down to that very hospital when my son was in for an operation and the behaviour of some car drivers towards me was appalling. I became quite angry about it, although did not get involved in any fracas.

The roads of Manchester city centre are a horrible place to ride.

I must admit that I’m not a Mum and it wasn’t Mother’s Day, but could somebody write a news article about it please?

slowoldman

In that scenario, what would be a fair response from the cyclist – ignoring the legalities of the situation?

Tut and cycle away.

Dickyboy

Did anyone see the video on the Beeb the other day with car driven head-on at another on the A140 nr norwich? looked like the usual dashcam user not fessing up to the full story – much like this one 🙁

STATO
    Free Member

Did anyone see the video on the Beeb the other day with car driven head-on at another on the A140 nr norwich? looked like the usual dashcam user not fessing up to the full story – much like this one

Was that the one where the guy was trying to overtake in the wrong lane or something so the dashcam guy decided to ‘accelerate for safety’, leading to the above…

deepreddave
    Free Member

here
    Wonder why CPS decided intentionally driving on the wrong side of the road to intercept and bump another car was not worth prosecuting?

STATO
    Free Member

Larger BBC article here

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Manchester road rage windscreen attack’ is closed to new replies.