Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Manchester Riding
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Mrs CatFlees has been offered a transfer to Manchester, it will in effect double her already substancial salary plus a contribution to rent. So a move seems iminent. I grew up in Stafford on the edge near Cannock Chase, so I was a bit spoilt with trails on my doorstep. I did ok and brought some apartments in Chester (i went to uni there) and for the last year have been living here once more. For me it’s s bit busy but I can escape to North Wales down the canals and old train lines. In short were can I cycle round Manchester??? At 29 it’s time I had a car and I’m hoping to pass my test next month so could drive somewere with the bike in the boot. Anyone live in the Manc area?

highclimber
    Free Member

i’m in manchester and often frequent Lee Quarry which is mearly 30 mins from the centre. there is loads of riding around Rivington nr bolton though I have yet to visit there.
    I wouldn’t mind getting some night rides in over winter if you move soon!

crazy-legs

Depends whereabouts you choose to live. North/east then it’s easy access to Calderdale, Lee Quarry etc. South/east is easy access to the Peak District and there’s loads of riding on the edge between the Peaks and Manc, places like Marple, New Mills.

Anywhere further west it’s easy to get out into the Cheshire Plains (excellent road riding there) or North Wales, Lakes (about an hour from N Manc via M61/M6).

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, evening riding sounds good. Her work will be located in ‘the triangle’ so an apartment as near as possible would be our new home. I work from home so I’m at the mercy of her employer. I’ve just sold my ride and I’m promised a Bfe frame as an early Xmas present so I’m hoping in the next three weeks I will be relocated and with bike, thanks again

Bunnyhop

Try trawling through all this as there is some ‘where to ride near Manchester advice’
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/where-to-live-in-north-manchester/page/4#post-1589045

tthew

And make sure you book yourself on a taster session at the Velodrome as soon as you can. That has to be the best riding IN Manchester, (possibly until they complete the BMX venue)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Speaking of BMX, there’s a BMX track in Platt Fields Park in Fallowfield, you can hire a bike or take yours on. Since this is a mountain bike forum, there is some good riding round south Manchester/Stockport way. Marple was mentioned earlier, plus you don’t need to take the car.

Whereabouts in Manc are you looking at moving?

Grimy
    Free Member

On average, I think south manchester holds the more afluent areas, perhaps where you’d be looking to move too if she’s failry well off. Perhaps Lymm would be a good location, easy 20 min commute into the center and yet far enough out that your on the green belt of cheshire, Ideal for a quick doorstep ride through the countryside, down the transpennine trail, or the wandering canal through the cheshire planes. You’d be close to the M6, M56, M62 and M60 motorway networks that will get you to a massive selection of riding within 30 minutes. Delemere forest, peaks, lakes, rivington, north wales, macclesfield forest, lee quary, etc etc etc. I live in Davyhulme, and often ride down to lymm through the farmland, nice area, shed loads of nice pubs in and around the area for the pub ride, just got its own bike shop too. wish I could move there myself.

amodicumofgnar

Macclesfield area – Sutton / Langley just out of the main town Macc Forest and Wildboar Clough from the door. Quick by road and rail to other areas.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks grimy I’m going to look at those areas. I will be moving to an apartment by the triangle right in the city centre. Thanks to everyone else for thier time and input too. Miss catflees is very excited

samuri
    Free Member

As above, if you’re in the city centre then the velodrome would be good for you, assuming you could take to that sort of thing.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Platt Fields BMX is brilliant. enough said

snowslave

Manchester’s bang in the middle of great riding in every direction of the compass. Gizzashout if you want to hook up for some rides….

sailor74
    Free Member

i have been trying to find some dedicated DH tracks in the area, but so far is seems like there isnt any at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Manchester Riding’ is closed to new replies.